Black & White Thread Volume VII

Black & White Thread Volume VII

Forums The Cloud Forum Black & White Thread Volume VII

Viewing 85 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Wrapping it up with another voluptuous Virga provided the perfect end note to Vol VI, Michael. What an amazing collection that turned out to be! Like the long-beaked bird skittering to a landing below, I had to take a moment to look back and appreciate the great splashes of beauty and whimsy this Black and White series has offered. And here we are ready for take off with Vol VII. As always, the door is open, the party is still going on, and everyone is most welcome.

IMG_6538_BW_Landing

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

A great take-off for Volume VII Keelin, with your long beaked bird on the wings. And looking back on the former volume is indeed a great pleasure. I also check other volumes sometimes and they always make me happy with yours and Michaels contributions. Surreal, impressionistic, abstract or ‘just’ realistic, all of these can be found together with the humorous ones.

Your bird made me spelunking in my archive – to speak in your words – and I hope I found an appropriate one for company.

2017-07-05 Wolken_0013 B&W an klein

Bathing Pelican

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

A Murmur of Undulation

july2117a4685

Participant

2017-10 Charigny_0086 B&W ns47-185 klein c

Islands In The Sea

Participant

The sky, to my eye, so often seems to be dancing. I think there is good evidence there with your Murmurs of Undulation, Michael. And Hans, your Pelican is really a bathing beauty. Together, I think we have the makings for a Fan Dance.

IMG_6569_BW_Fan Dance

Participant

Fan Dance would also fit perfectly in the bird theme. He is on the wings.

I like the details at the bottom left of Fan Dance, Keelin. Did they Fan Out?

2017-10 Charigny_0096 B&W uitsnede  c an klein

Participant

Saint Cloud

july2017a4578

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Saint Cloud could be your profile thumbnail, Michael?

Participant

Im literally haunted by that photo hygge. Everytime I look at it ..its changed, I see another aspect of it.   I’m letting it register a bit at a time to make it last longer I suppose.

Participant

Very ghostly also Michael, your Saint Cloud. Intriguing.

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0064 B&W ns82-203 klein

Isn’t Every Moon A Supermoon?

Participant

Saint Cloud is a celestial beauty, Michael. Your composition achieves a depth that pulls me in with its mix of light and dark.

As for every moon being a super one, I would agree, Hans. Your image is a splendid example. Even when there’s a celebration going on in one corner, a quiet little sliver of moon can still steal the show.

IMG_6484_BW_Little Moon Steals The Show

Participant

This tiny silver crescent certainly steals the show Keelin while the confetti at the right is betraying the party that must go on.

I found in the clouds2016-07-06 Kennemerstrand_0066 B&W uitsnede ns klein

Proof Of The Curvature Of Spacetime

Participant

Nice delicate capture Hans! Distance between near and far seems to curve as distance increase.. We don’t travel straight to the moon do we? ;)

A little fun with texture and contrast

aug0117a5440

Participant

Thank you Michael. And nice contrasts in more than one way. Great composition.

2015-08-16 Asperitas_0037 B&W uitsnede klein sch14

Mainly Texture, Less Contrast

Participant

There’s a Zen-like quality to your texture and contrast, Michael. It has a calming influence. This morning, inspired by your image and Hans’s just below it, I was thinking about the textures we see in clouds — how one can imagine the feel of those ridges, embossed bumps and lumps, and yet, as if they were no more substantial than a dream, one’s hand would easily glide through. Still, there’d be the cool pleasure of it.

And Hans, your Proof Of The Curvature Of Spacetime above is absolutely elegant. Might this one below be Proof Of Rips or Ripples?

IMG_6171_BW_Proof

Participant

The lean into the winds keeps the balance of the pic , nice shot Keelin.  It is all what our minds do with  photos.

I take Pictures of Clouds Therefore I Am..

july2117a4649

Participant

The Proof Of Ripp(le)s is like a joyful flag Keelin. Great composition. And you added some poetry as well. Great fluffiness follows by a philosophical Michael. Wonderful.

2017-07-15 Parhelic_0014 B&W asr c klein

I think I Take Pictures Of Clouds

Alec Jones avatarAlec Jones
      Participant

_DSC6753

“And when winter came upon us, Grus flew south….” – Tales of Grus

Participant

All Around Nice Guy

july1417a4346

Participant

_DSC6776

“I could not help feeling that they were evil things – mountains of madness whose farther slopes looked out over some accursed ultimate abyss. That seething , half-luminous cloud-background held ineffable suggestions of a vague, ethereal beyondness far more than terrestrially spatial; and gave appalling reminders of the utter remoteness, separateness, desolation, and aeon-long death of this untrodden and unfathomed austral world.”― H.P. Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

I did say Cu were my favourite clouds, but did not really have the words to say why. HPL helps – thanks, Alec. Is there a word for the northern hemisphere?

Participant

Christmas Shopping

nov0517a8057

Participant

He’s making a list…

Checking It Twice_

Participant

Your Christmas Shopping put me in a festive mood, Michael. Just the nudge I needed! And thanks to both you and Hans, for the kind comments above and the smiles brought on by your philosophical cleverness. I think I don’t know what to think about the one below.

Delighted, too, to see you here, Alec! The coupling of your well-crafted imagery with well-chosen writings is most enjoyable.

IMG_5640_BW2 Open To Interpretation

Participant

Ah, a lot to enjoy at a new pace! I have to catch up after Grus flew south and left what seem to be strange curling contrails.

What an incredible Mamma formation, Michael. It seems to have a tender back ground lighting just emphasizing the contours of each lump. And then the Christmas Shopping started  yet, while here in Holland we just had our own Sinterklaas. These holidays appear to be Open To Interpretation. One thing I am certain of:  Open To Interpretation is on my list, Keelin.

I don’t want to spoil the party that we look forward for, but the words by H.P Lovecraft, introduced by Alec, tolled the bells, every word of them being a harbinger of an unspeakable horror yet to come from beyond.

2017-05-31 Wolken 005 B&W ac klein c

Hovering For Prey

Participant

@ Michael Super! I’d love to see that one in colour.

@ Keelin Those wisps have slightly helical tails, one of my all time favourite shapes.

@ Hans Ha! What have I unleashed?! In “The Call of Cthulhu“, Lovecraft describes the horror thus, “A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind.“. You can almost see it’s gaping maw dripping with sticky ichor…..

Participant

sunroof

Sunroof.

Participant

That looks like a Mike Flynn Shot Keelin. Its Flipped…Nice and unreal!

aug0117a5442

Participant

The heart of it all Michael! Wow.

I once spotted one mamma. Or was it

2017-09-11 Zonsondergang_0012 B&W asr klein

The Wheel-house Of A Zeppelin

Participant

Self Driving Cloud
      may1017a3284

Participant

Hovering For Prey is like some wild creature from a dream, Hans. Fantastic in the true sense of the word. Hope he doesn’t come through Alec’s serene Sunroof and find that luscious heart Michael’s offered here. WOW.

I’ve been a bogged down with work these past few days, and so eager to resurface and rejoin the fun here.

IMG_6602_BW_AquaticDreamAquatic Dream

Participant

Butterfly Dream
      feb2617a1286

Participant

DSC_8920

Welsh Marches, Summer 2011.

Participant

Cloud’tasm
      april2317a2641

Participant

Well some wonderful dreams came by, an Aquatic Dream by Keelin and a Butterfly Dream by Michael. Is that to prevent from further horror, unleashed by the call of Cthulhu?

The danger seems to have left Peace has returned and certainly on the Welsh Marshes by Alec. Cloud’tastic!

2017-05-15 Kennemerstrand_0113 B&W curve S klein

Just Passing By

Participant

DCS_1289

Participant

This little creature was also just passing by, Hans — and I believe he was searching for You! I imagine he might have emerged from that Aquatic Dream, made his way across the Welsh Marshes, and consulted the Butterfly along the way. Have you seen him over there? Somehow, it wouldn’t surprise me, seeing as your goat and the arctic explorer both found their way across the pond in previous posts.

IMG_6588_Friendly Figural #5Friendly Figural #5

Participant

I hope your Friendly Figural #5 will find me soon Keelin. It looks very cute. I look forward to meet him over here. You mentioned former appearances that traveled their way across the pond. Now the lacerta you once posted has appeared on this side of the waters. A Friendly one as well.

2015-08-16 Asperitas_0036 B&W ns klein

Participant

Holiday Clouds

april1116a4600

Participant

2017-10-12 Zonsondergang_0028 B&W ns 65-227 klein

Loaded

Participant

DSC_0033

Spectral War Pig.

Participant

Tomorrow’s Sleigh Ride

may2615a5569

Participant

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Let It Snow!

Participant

Alec your spectral war pig is great. It could have been in three threads. Correct me if I am wrong. The reflections in the contrail make it special.

Michael your Sleigh Ride is Magical.

No escape. Snow-crystals were to come from Keelin.

2016-09 France_0333 B&W uitsnede asr ns klein

I Am Sorry No Rudolph

Participant

Indeed, the right hand parhelion does lift it. However, increasingly I find that if an image is somewhat lacking in colour it miraculously becomes special in B&W. Somewhere I have a couple of examples of 120 parhelia in contrails; I’ll try to find them.

Participant

Lost Horizon

may2615a5557

Participant

DSC_0608

In your face, end of the world, negasonic warhead apocalyptic sleigh ride. Boom!

Participant

Wow, very heavy Alec. What A sight. It is art as is Lost Horizon, Michael.

About the parhelion I agree it miraculously becomes special in B&W.

Next one I did not even convert to B&W.

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0073 COLOR klc S klein

Parhelion

Participant

Bridges

may1417a3348

Participant

Relieved to see Lacerta (several posts back now) made it across the pond, Hans. As you can see, the voyage was not without its challenges!

IMG_5469_BW_Lacerta's Dangerous PassageDangerous Passage

Participant

The poor lacerta looks like he passed through a wormhole Keelin. He did certainly not pass by the safe Bridge Michel provided.

Maybe the “megasonic warhead apocalyptic sleigh ride” did the same. I am still puzzled how you did that Alec. You distorted something very heavily. The roofs of the houses on other pictures seem to be there but rather squeezed.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0110 B&W asr klein

Runes

Participant

Lithic epicness!

A very minor correction if I may. I’m quite convinced that you were resolved to type “negasonic” rather than “megasonic“. Apocalypticists all concur that there is a vast difference between the two, the former being a doomsday weapon capable of producing total, instantantaneous and complete annihilation. The latter, however,is some kind of industrial cleaning procedure….

Whilst I am always very happy to share photo tips with others, on this occasion I am afraid that I will have to refrain from doing so. As many of you may know, I am conducting post post-doctoral research into petroglyphic image analysis at the Institute. We are in the process of developing many new techniques of which this is just one of many. As part of the terms and conditions of my employment, I am required not to pass on details of advanced blue sky processing techniques to interested third parties. I’m sure you will understand that I am very reticent to break the terms of my contract.

Participant

Duplicatus #31

may0817a3092

Participant

Well I must truly apologize, Alec. What you consider a minor correction is one of enormous impact on the meaning of the text.  Nevertheless a doomsday machine or an apocalyptic sleigh ride might both be associated with a wormhole through which your picture of Negasonic Apocalptic Warhead’s  sleigh ride might have been taken. I am still impressed and curious about the distortions in spacetime that are clearly visible in the picture.

Could this typo be meant to unbalance you temporarily and tempt you to abandon just a mere glimpse of the secrets you are bound by contract to keep? If so, it was an obviously far to transparent attempt, which might be interpreted as an insult to your intelligence. Again I have to apologize sincerely!

How could I forget the embargo of a 100 years before interested researchers will be able to know the full, astounding truth about the findings of Dr. Corvidova, the very same one directing the institute where you are conducting your research.  How could I dare to risk a legal conflict between you and this giant in petroglyphic science? It may have even have risked a conflict with yourself. I am so sorry….

Participant

2017-12 Wolken_0037 B&W ac klein

Cobweb

Participant

A fantastic webby wonder, Hans. And I think I see a bee of light (a light bee-ing?) caught in Michael’s Duplicatus above, while below, the weave looks to be of the sheerest fabric.

IMG_6802_BW_Duplicatus_Vieled SunsetVeiled Sunset

Participant

DSC_5179

Participant

I like the duplicatus work there Hans an Keelin! Its a good thing the plane missed the tower Alec. phew, close call!

A Patch of Cloud

july1717

Participant

Thanks Michael, as I like your Duplicatus #31.

The powertower does very well in B&W together with the 22 degrees halo, Alec.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0137 B&W ac klein c

What’s Up Doc?

Participant

Shine On
      july2017a4564

Participant

What’s Up Doc made my eyebrows rise in surprise, Hans. And while I can imagine Shine On in color, the B&W you’ve posted here is truly dramatic, Michael.

IMG_6683_BWSurprise!

Participant

Nice crepesculars, Michael.  …. you crazy diamond..

And a very subtle surprise Keelin.

2017-12 Wolken_0001 B&W an uitsnede klein

Vault

Participant

Found this is the Vault…

IMG_6621_Pasta.Let’s Have Pasta

Participant

DSC_1283

Participant

Ha, nice pasta Keelin, with some grinded cheese from Alec on it. Tasty!

2017-12 Wolken_0049 B&W uitsnede ac klein

Veiled Cloud

Participant

DSC_1319

The fossilised sky (slight return). Young Earth, ancient sky, Ussher chronology. One must counter all this evolution nonsense at every possible opportunity.

Participant

Beautiful sepia undulations Alec.

For some reason there seems to be some ambiguity in your text about this evulotion nonsense…?…

But your right, someone has to keep an eye on this matter.

test 001 B&W ac klein

Participant

Hans, ambiguity and confusion always keep matters fresh and interesting!

Celestial optography. Is that an optogram, an image recorded on the retinal canvas of some vast sky creature of the last thing it saw before its demise? What is the significance of the number 2?

Participant

I admit it is a confusing image and message Alec. It sees and it is seen. Does this explain the number two? Maybe yes, maybe no. So many questions, so little answers. A lot of work has to be done to make sense of it all. Is there any? Sisiphus must not complain. His suffering under hard labour is just luxury compared to the suffering of the seeking uncertain mind. Ahhhhh…

Participant

DSC_1928

Another duotone. Pass me my fossil hammer. Celestial strata, deep time.

Participant

You introduce new dimensions of B&W with your duotone fossile skies Alec. I say, keep hammering on the strata of deep time.

2014-10-15 Kelvin_0028 B&W uitsnede ns klein

We Can Dig Deep Under the Surface

Participant

Desertification of the sky…

Participant

DSC_1586

Participant

Alec, your sepia image of the moon is lovely beyond words.

And Hans, I love the layered look you’ve captured just above. And what does your delicate Veiled Cloud (further above) hide  — or reveal? More mystery here! Perhaps your eye in the sky will tell all? As to the significance of 2, this reminds me of The Prisoner (TV series from decades past) whose main character spoke to a disembodied voice identified as #2, and asked repeatedly, Who is #1? Yes, we should keep digging deeper. Who knows what we will find?

IMG_7086_BW_kerplunk
      Kerplunk!

Participant

The prisoner: great series. Loved it. I remember that balloon catching the prisoner! All he could do to kill the time was kerplunk. By the way: where is Michael? I suppose he will pop-up soon? Unless……

I do suspect #1 might be the illustrious doctor who I will not name here because he also seems to have great influence on Alec. I suppose Alec wont be able to write or speak freely about it. Let’s not tempt him to breach his contract (probably written in his own blood), but ;et’s dig deeper.

2017-08-02 Aspritas_0111 B&W ac klein c

Somehow I Feel He Is Watching The Village

Participant

DSC_1588

Participant

DSC_1603

Participant

DSC_1865

Participant

DSC_1921

Participant

That were some great B&W’s Alec. The last one seems to be like the frozen flowers on a window.

2016-09 France_0129 B&W ac klein

How About Some Grinding?

Participant

Love that frosty look, Alec. And funny, Hans! Here ya go…

IMG_6939_BW_groundGround

Participant

DSC_1929

‘Can’t see the slowness of the falling sky’Sid Gershgoren, Through the Sky in the Lake

Participant

DSC_2606

Participant

Love Ground and the slowness of the falling sky. And what a scenery shows the last one!

2016-07-13 Cirrus_0011 B&W asr klein

Celestial Petroglyphics?

Participant

Possibly. Corvidova is working on a complete classification. You thought genome sequencing was complex…sheesh!

Participant

genome sequencing?

2017-03-24 Crow_0016 asr klein

Participant

Indeed, Hans, there are such wonders to be found spelunking the skies…IMG_5521_BW_Deer vs. BuffaloWhere The Deer And The Buffalo Play

Participant

Fantastic!. Is it a coincidence these Petroglyphics, so instantaneously replicating on the other side of the pond? Is it?

Participant

Hans, you can’t imagine how delighted I was to see your Petroglyph posting this morning. The Deer and Buffalo were captured (so to speak) on this side of the pond last September and I often wondered if there would ever be the perfect moment to share it. Voila!

Participant

DSC_2721

Participant

sept1614a9457a1a

Participant

DSC_2706

Participant

Et voila, after the perfectly timed Deer and Buffaloo some lenticularis formations. Love the play of light on them.

2017-07-27 Lennies_0015 B&W uitsnede ac klein

Participant

DSC_4611

Participant

july0116a5824

Participant

DSC_4855

Participant

Every time surprised about the diversity and different views of the sky…

Something practical. It is nice to see that since the new threads for Color, Sunsets, Halos and Contrails were introduced the number of contributions are also rising. For the B&W thread we used to end a volume and start a next volume after reaching post #100. So still some to go over here with B&W but I see two popular ones that will have to have a next volume. Perhaps a bit arbitrary, so if there are other opinions on this, please let know.

Meanwhile….

2017-05-06 Cirrus_0095 B&W asr klein

Fanning Out

Viewing 85 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.