Community Pages

Please accept our new Terms & Conditions before contributing to our Community Pages. Any content you contribute will be publicly visible. We expect contributors to show respect, courtesy and an appreciation of the atmosphere we all share.

Filter Photos:

You have selected:

Main Cloud Types

Other Clouds

Optical Effects

Miscellaneous

Black and White Cloud Photos Volume XVI

Black and White Cloud Photos Volume XVI

Forums The Cloud Forum Black and White Cloud Photos Volume XVI

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael
      Participant

Starting off  the 16th  collection of 100 ea  black and white photos of clouds. All are welcomed to post their works!

Arizona B&W #161

sept0919a6476Art

Lisa Rigge avatarLisa Rigge
      Participant

Pleasanton, CAHere’s an image I took in color on July 10th at my local sports park in Pleasanton, CA. I am fairly new to these online Cloud Appreciation Blogs, but I’m thrilled to see a b&w cloud forum!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Lisa Rigge avatarLisa Rigge.
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Thanks for this great start of Volume XVI Michael! Wow, it is hard to believe it would come that far when you started the first Volume, initially even without a Volume number! And your invitation works well. So welcome Lisa with your great entrance in this thread! I hope you enjoy the abstracts in B&W that will  follow and hope also to see more from you.

2020-07 Charigny (49)-1

Let’s Keep The Candle Burning

Participant

Welcome Lisa to the fun! Lots going on in your photo! Looking forward to more of your photography!

Nice Virga shot Hans!

Arizona B&W#162

sept0919a6483Art

Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin
      Participant

Thank you, Michael, for this dramatic launch into the next wave of B&W clouds! And Lisa, wow! A warm welcome to you and your keen eye for stunning imagery. Hope to see you here often and on other forum topics as well. Hans, even a tsunami could not extinguish our (de)light with this topic.

Hard acts to follow with such strong imagery from the three of you above. Can’t wait to see what the new tide brings in.

IMG_6987_BW_PotentialityPotentiality

Participant

Thank-you, Hans! I’m not sure how replying works, whether to one person or the group-but I do want to thank the warm welcome I’ve received from everyone. Is there a limit to the number of photographs that can be posted here? No-I’m not one to overdo something – I may find one or two more. All of these photographs are stunning! Thanks again, Lisa

Participant

Potentiality is indeed what the new tide brings Keelin. For me Potentiality seems to be the perfect nicely curved and crested wave to surf on endlessly in this thread. Love it. Let’s surf!

And Lisa, there is no limit to the number you can post here that is to say just one or two at the time (the system will warn you when you exceed the amount of Mb’s you want to upload), but …. day after day as the number of this Volume for B&W’s proofs. The only by our self’s imposed limit is that we end a thread when the number of 100 posts is reached and than start a new volume. So there are about 1500  B&W’s already in all former threads. When you have enough time it is worthwhile checking them :) Do we overdo it already? No, it is fun to be continued. So I look forward for more from you.

2020-07 Charigny (101)-1

Untitled Yet

Participant

Arizona B&W# 163

sept1019a6522Art

Participant

Arizona B&W#164

sept0519a6001ROIL

Participant

2020-07 Wolken (60)-1
      Cottonumulus

Participant

Arizona B&W#165dec0818a7393AltCum

Participant

Arizona B&W#166

july1019a5334AlStrArt

Participant

You captured a great sky in #166 Michael.

2020-08 Wolken (34)-1

Veils

Participant

Cool veils Hans!

Arizona B&W#167

july3019a5750VirArt

Participant

From complex to simple compositions, the latest offerings by you two, Michael and Hans, are exquisite, with shapes at times defined only by the subtlest shades of gray. Well done!

IMG_9053_BW_Tattered VeilTattered Veil

Participant

The thinnest of veils Keelin!

Arizona B&W#sept1419a6563CirrusArt

Participant

I like the theme of veils, whether tattered or not, you both posted three great variations on the theme.

2020-08 Wolken (36)-1

Another Veil Variation

Participant

Arizona B&W #169

july2919a5695AltCum

Participant

Arizona B&W #170

july2919a5690AltCum

Participant

TreeinWindAug132020_9543Thank you Michael, Keelin and Hans for helping me keep my head in the clouds! These are truly images to meditate upon! The one for this posting is titled “Tree’s Bright Shadow”, a tribute to Carl Jung’s Shadow concept.

Participant

Arizona B&W#171july2919a5700AltCum

Participant

Loved Another Veil Variation, Hans, which appears to be floating on a gentle, wafting breeze, while Arizona B&W#170 and #171 are absolute celebrations, Michael, with sound tracks all their own. Trees Bright Shadow is one to linger on, Lisa, cleverly titled as well.

Completely unexpected weather here with thunder, a bit of rain and this morning’s surprise…

IMG_7853_BW_Marbled MarvelMarbled Marvel

Participant

Thanks Keelin!  Yes the sky was celebrating!  Glad you are getting weather. I like the over head hurly burly shots!  Unfortunately, its mid-August and the desert here still hasn’t seen anything that amounts to a Monsoon season. One day back in July I think I saw Pileus.  Today, after a string of 116f +  days in a row, finally two cells developed into Cumulonimbus to the north and east with one blowing back into the Valley. Maybe,but probably not, we’ll get some hurly burly by this evening.

meanwhile

Arizona B&W#172

nov2819a7164B

Participant

The lines in your Arizona B&W#172 tell a peaceful story, Michael. But oh, days of 116f there must be a harsh reality! Hope the hurly burly come your way soon. Looks like we may have more of it today. Here’s another look at yesterday morning.

IMG_7855_BW_Summer StormSummer Storm

Participant

It actually rained last night…for about 5 minutes.

Arizona B&W#173

july3019a5731VirArt

Participant

What a feast in this thread. A tribute to Carl Jung’s Shadow concept by Lisa shows a turbulent cirrus filled sky. This triggered me to learn more about the concept.

Michael produced some really different textures in #171, #172 and #173. I love #171 most of the three, but that is not because I see the head of a cow in it. Did anyone notice? Nevertheless for me it are the different layers in #171 with the gentle white dots on the foreground that I love.

And Marbled Marvel is a true marvel indeed Keelin. It is one that makes you happy looking at it. Summer Storm has a complete different and appealing mood. Mysterious. Contemplation?

2020-06 Wolken (5)-1

Unrest

Participant

yes, a tauri Hans

Arizona B&W#174

sept1419a6625Art

Participant

2020-08 Wolken (75)-1

Outshine

Participant

Arizona B&W#175

sept1019a6517Art

Participant

Wonderful images above! Love Unrest—and all the rest. What next might we see?

IMG_3307_BW_Misty Mystical ManifestationsMisty Mystical Manifestations

Participant

Arizona B&W#176

july3019a5748AltCum

Participant

Arizona B&W#177

dec2619a7653CirrusCum

Participant

Micheal, B&W#176 is compellingly strange (in a good way) like hypnagogic imagery. Where would that dream go from here? I can only imagine! And I see the synapses firing in your next photo.

Now to dream of the sea ~~~

IMG_2629_BW_Against The TideAgainst The Tide

Participant

SunHaloMG_8784 copyI am very impressed by these B&W images! The photographs encapture the clouds’ fragility and strength! And Keelan, in regards to your quesiton about where hypnogogic sleep will bring you, perhaps into a lucid dream where there is pure light.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Lisa Rigge avatarLisa Rigge.
      Participant

And, indeed, the most welcomed illumination to dawn within a dream, Lisa! Your halo photo is a lovely symbol of its transitional impetus. Just imagine the moment it shines a light on…

IMG_9464_BW_Day ResidueDay Residue

Participant

Very fragile cirrus passing below the sun Lisa!  Nice connection Keelin!

Arizona B&W #178

aug0919a6246Und

Participant

I love Against The Tide Keelin and also Arizona B&W #176 Michael. Lisa captured a classical 22 degrees halo in cirrostratus. That one works very well in black and white. Love it as well.

2020-08 Wolken (66)-1

Lurking Creatures

Participant

Arizona B&W#179

dec2319a7586Perc

Participant

Fine textural captures, Michael, sandwiching Hans’s Lurking Creatures. Hope they come out to play! I imagine they might have some interesting tales to tell.

IMG_5497_BW_A Teller Of TalesA Teller Of Tales

Participant

Arizona B&W#180

sept1619a6648AltStrat

Participant

Michael, I can sense the slow, quiet movement of clouds in Arizona B&W#180, especially in that open space at the top, bits of fluff floating in to join the group. Nice!

The photo below gave me a feeling of sitting on a high branch, looking down at the feathery head of an owl.

IMG_1626_BW_Bird's Eye View Of A Bird BelowBird’s Eye View Of A Bird Below

Participant

Keelin, yes almost a marshmallow movement, soft and slow. Your owl head looks to be taken later in the day with its soft grays.

Arizona B&W#181

july1919a5492UndArt

• This reply was modified 2 days, 3 hours ago by Michael Lerch avatarMichael.
      Participant

Love that percolated look of your Arizona B&W#181, Michael. It reminds me of my mind in the morning—and that first cup of coffee bringing everything into focus.

Happy to report a smoke-free sky (at least here in Napa) today and the first sighting of clouds in weeks. Needless to say, I ate it up!

IMG_7909_BW_Layered DessertLayered Dessert

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.