Black and White Cloud Photos Volume XVI

Black and White Cloud Photos Volume XVI

Forums The Cloud Forum Black and White Cloud Photos Volume XVI

Viewing 99 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Starting off  the 16th  collection of 100 ea  black and white photos of clouds. All are welcomed to post their works!

Arizona B&W #161

sept0919a6476Art

Lisa Rigge avatarLisa Rigge
      Participant

Pleasanton, CAHere’s an image I took in color on July 10th at my local sports park in Pleasanton, CA. I am fairly new to these online Cloud Appreciation Blogs, but I’m thrilled to see a b&w cloud forum!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Lisa Rigge avatarLisa Rigge.
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Thanks for this great start of Volume XVI Michael! Wow, it is hard to believe it would come that far when you started the first Volume, initially even without a Volume number! And your invitation works well. So welcome Lisa with your great entrance in this thread! I hope you enjoy the abstracts in B&W that will  follow and hope also to see more from you.

2020-07 Charigny (49)-1

Let’s Keep The Candle Burning

Participant

Welcome Lisa to the fun! Lots going on in your photo! Looking forward to more of your photography!

Nice Virga shot Hans!

Arizona B&W#162

sept0919a6483Art

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Thank you, Michael, for this dramatic launch into the next wave of B&W clouds! And Lisa, wow! A warm welcome to you and your keen eye for stunning imagery. Hope to see you here often and on other forum topics as well. Hans, even a tsunami could not extinguish our (de)light with this topic.

Hard acts to follow with such strong imagery from the three of you above. Can’t wait to see what the new tide brings in.

IMG_6987_BW_PotentialityPotentiality

Participant

Thank-you, Hans! I’m not sure how replying works, whether to one person or the group-but I do want to thank the warm welcome I’ve received from everyone. Is there a limit to the number of photographs that can be posted here? No-I’m not one to overdo something – I may find one or two more. All of these photographs are stunning! Thanks again, Lisa

Participant

Potentiality is indeed what the new tide brings Keelin. For me Potentiality seems to be the perfect nicely curved and crested wave to surf on endlessly in this thread. Love it. Let’s surf!

And Lisa, there is no limit to the number you can post here that is to say just one or two at the time (the system will warn you when you exceed the amount of Mb’s you want to upload), but …. day after day as the number of this Volume for B&W’s proofs. The only by our self’s imposed limit is that we end a thread when the number of 100 posts is reached and than start a new volume. So there are about 1500  B&W’s already in all former threads. When you have enough time it is worthwhile checking them :) Do we overdo it already? No, it is fun to be continued. So I look forward for more from you.

2020-07 Charigny (101)-1

Untitled Yet

Participant

Arizona B&W# 163

sept1019a6522Art

Participant

Arizona B&W#164

sept0519a6001ROIL

Participant

2020-07 Wolken (60)-1
      Cottonumulus

Participant

Arizona B&W#165dec0818a7393AltCum

Participant

Arizona B&W#166

july1019a5334AlStrArt

Participant

You captured a great sky in #166 Michael.

2020-08 Wolken (34)-1

Veils

Participant

Cool veils Hans!

Arizona B&W#167

july3019a5750VirArt

Participant

From complex to simple compositions, the latest offerings by you two, Michael and Hans, are exquisite, with shapes at times defined only by the subtlest shades of gray. Well done!

IMG_9053_BW_Tattered VeilTattered Veil

Participant

The thinnest of veils Keelin!

Arizona B&W#sept1419a6563CirrusArt

Participant

I like the theme of veils, whether tattered or not, you both posted three great variations on the theme.

2020-08 Wolken (36)-1

Another Veil Variation

Participant

Arizona B&W #169

july2919a5695AltCum

Participant

Arizona B&W #170

july2919a5690AltCum

Participant

TreeinWindAug132020_9543Thank you Michael, Keelin and Hans for helping me keep my head in the clouds! These are truly images to meditate upon! The one for this posting is titled “Tree’s Bright Shadow”, a tribute to Carl Jung’s Shadow concept.

Participant

Arizona B&W#171july2919a5700AltCum

Participant

Loved Another Veil Variation, Hans, which appears to be floating on a gentle, wafting breeze, while Arizona B&W#170 and #171 are absolute celebrations, Michael, with sound tracks all their own. Trees Bright Shadow is one to linger on, Lisa, cleverly titled as well.

Completely unexpected weather here with thunder, a bit of rain and this morning’s surprise…

IMG_7853_BW_Marbled MarvelMarbled Marvel

Participant

Thanks Keelin!  Yes the sky was celebrating!  Glad you are getting weather. I like the over head hurly burly shots!  Unfortunately, its mid-August and the desert here still hasn’t seen anything that amounts to a Monsoon season. One day back in July I think I saw Pileus.  Today, after a string of 116f +  days in a row, finally two cells developed into Cumulonimbus to the north and east with one blowing back into the Valley. Maybe,but probably not, we’ll get some hurly burly by this evening.

meanwhile

Arizona B&W#172

nov2819a7164B

Participant

The lines in your Arizona B&W#172 tell a peaceful story, Michael. But oh, days of 116f there must be a harsh reality! Hope the hurly burly come your way soon. Looks like we may have more of it today. Here’s another look at yesterday morning.

IMG_7855_BW_Summer StormSummer Storm

Participant

It actually rained last night…for about 5 minutes.

Arizona B&W#173

july3019a5731VirArt

Participant

What a feast in this thread. A tribute to Carl Jung’s Shadow concept by Lisa shows a turbulent cirrus filled sky. This triggered me to learn more about the concept.

Michael produced some really different textures in #171, #172 and #173. I love #171 most of the three, but that is not because I see the head of a cow in it. Did anyone notice? Nevertheless for me it are the different layers in #171 with the gentle white dots on the foreground that I love.

And Marbled Marvel is a true marvel indeed Keelin. It is one that makes you happy looking at it. Summer Storm has a complete different and appealing mood. Mysterious. Contemplation?

2020-06 Wolken (5)-1

Unrest

Participant

yes, a tauri Hans

Arizona B&W#174

sept1419a6625Art

Participant

2020-08 Wolken (75)-1

Outshine

Participant

Arizona B&W#175

sept1019a6517Art

Participant

Wonderful images above! Love Unrest—and all the rest. What next might we see?

IMG_3307_BW_Misty Mystical ManifestationsMisty Mystical Manifestations

Participant

Arizona B&W#176

july3019a5748AltCum

Participant

Arizona B&W#177

dec2619a7653CirrusCum

Participant

Micheal, B&W#176 is compellingly strange (in a good way) like hypnagogic imagery. Where would that dream go from here? I can only imagine! And I see the synapses firing in your next photo.

Now to dream of the sea ~~~

IMG_2629_BW_Against The TideAgainst The Tide

Participant

SunHaloMG_8784 copyI am very impressed by these B&W images! The photographs encapture the clouds’ fragility and strength! And Keelan, in regards to your quesiton about where hypnogogic sleep will bring you, perhaps into a lucid dream where there is pure light.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Lisa Rigge avatarLisa Rigge.
      Participant

And, indeed, the most welcomed illumination to dawn within a dream, Lisa! Your halo photo is a lovely symbol of its transitional impetus. Just imagine the moment it shines a light on…

IMG_9464_BW_Day ResidueDay Residue

Participant

Very fragile cirrus passing below the sun Lisa!  Nice connection Keelin!

Arizona B&W #178

aug0919a6246Und

Participant

I love Against The Tide Keelin and also Arizona B&W #176 Michael. Lisa captured a classical 22 degrees halo in cirrostratus. That one works very well in black and white. Love it as well.

2020-08 Wolken (66)-1

Lurking Creatures

Participant

Arizona B&W#179

dec2319a7586Perc

Participant

Fine textural captures, Michael, sandwiching Hans’s Lurking Creatures. Hope they come out to play! I imagine they might have some interesting tales to tell.

IMG_5497_BW_A Teller Of TalesA Teller Of Tales

Participant

Arizona B&W#180

sept1619a6648AltStrat

Participant

Michael, I can sense the slow, quiet movement of clouds in Arizona B&W#180, especially in that open space at the top, bits of fluff floating in to join the group. Nice!

The photo below gave me a feeling of sitting on a high branch, looking down at the feathery head of an owl.

IMG_1626_BW_Bird's Eye View Of A Bird BelowBird’s Eye View Of A Bird Below

Participant

Keelin, yes almost a marshmallow movement, soft and slow. Your owl head looks to be taken later in the day with its soft grays.

Arizona B&W#181

july1919a5492UndArt

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Michael Lerch avatarMichael.
      Participant

Love that percolated look of your Arizona B&W#181, Michael. It reminds me of my mind in the morning—and that first cup of coffee bringing everything into focus.

Happy to report a smoke-free sky (at least here in Napa) today and the first sighting of clouds in weeks. Needless to say, I ate it up!

IMG_7909_BW_Layered DessertLayered Dessert

Participant

Keelin,,Its great to hear  of your clear skies!.  Weatherman said it was raining in northern Calif which is good news too!. Still hazy in the Valley here tho, but trying to clear.

Arizona B&W#182

dec2319a7589Perc

Participant

Oh I love a lot of the former B&W’s. Especially Bird’s Eye View Of A bird Below and Layered Dessert by Keelin and the soft grays and texture in Arizona B&W’s #179, #181, #182 by Michael. here is one that looks like a canyon in a cloudscape together with some  lost smoke signals.

2020-06 Charigny (127)-1

Skycanyon

P.S.: I truly hope the disasters in California are to end at last.

Participant

Thank you, Michael and Hans for well wishes and kind words. Fires are still burning in the western states, but we have had a few days of clear skies here—a joy to see, even if they have been mostly cloudless. All the better to enjoy offerings on this forum’s many topics.

As for the most recent images above, what a wild Skycanyon, Hans! That could be the setting for an epic tale. And love the dusty dance of your #182, Michael.

Speaking of dances, not strictly a B&W below, but she insisted on mood lighting…

IMG_7926_BW_Midnight Dance Of The Praying MantisMidnight Dance Of The Praying Mantis

Participant

Arizona B&W#183

sept0317a6257

Participant

Arizona B&W#184

dec1219a7408und

Participant

Love the Midnight Dance Of The Praying Mantis, Keelin. It certainly belongs in this thread although also a candidate for the Thingy thread. Love the subtlety of #183 and #184 as well, Michael.

Next one is – like the Mantis – not strictly B&W but I think it belongs here.

2020-09 Ch Wolken (160)-1

Colorless

Participant

Michael, your latest two bring associations of the spark of an idea and the calm of a clear mind. Both so welcomed during these uncertain and restless days.

And Hans, thank you for this vista! It needs no color to make me want to explore it.

IMG_7666_BW_Tumultuous TImesTumultuous Times

Participant

Keelin..more monkey wrenches in the last 24hrs than I’ve seen in a year…major hitting of the fan!

Arizona B&W#185sept1419a6580Laq

Participant

Indeed, Michael! We are so lucky to have this forum with the international friendships it fosters and the respite it offers in the midst of such chaotic times. Grateful to all!

What I like in the image below is its painterly quality which became enhanced once converted to B&W. In the original photo, it’s a rather unremarkable, mostly blue sky, and what appears to be the moon is actually a round cloud.

IMG_1670_BW_The Painterly MoonThe Painterly Moon

Participant

Arizona B&W#186

oct0818a5623CumArt

Participant

Hans, Colorless reminds me of a feather – the use of the sepia tone is very effective and moody. And Keelin, the owl has its beak amongst its feather – and Midnight Dance’s  blue mood comes across with such intrigue! And Michael, I miss the skies of the Southwest and am ever grateful to see each one from you. They bring back rich memories for me.  I apologize I rarely post and submit an image, but I am always delighted by the images all of you post!  B&WSunsetIMG_9798 copy

Participant

Thank you for your kind words, Lisa, and so nice to see you here again. Your lovely photo inspires— literally! I am breathing in the beauty of it.

And Michael, your B&W#186 makes me want to be the bird and go soaring through that beckoning cloudscape.

Below, this one just makes me sleepy…

IMG_0613_BW_LullabyLullaby

Participant

Thanks Lisa! Leaving the bird in your photo reminds the viewer of scale, something I ought to do more often to be honest with the big sky out here.

Keelin, the rays really make your photo work,Nice!

Arizona B&W#187

aug1718a4494D

Participant

Thank you too Lisa. Maybe you post rarely, but this one is lovely and asks for more.

The Painterly Moon is fantastic Keelin. Funny to notice that what seems to be the moon is in fact a round cloud. Quite peculiar. Lullaby seems to me a close up of a sleeping eye with eyelashes of rays. Love it.

The two very different ones from Michael (#186 and #187) show the great diversity in B&W’s imho.

Next one belongs to the contrail thread as well.

2020-09 Ch Wolken (57)-1

Quill Pen

Participant

Hello again, Everyone! I just had to remark that Keelen, your “Lullaby” reminds me of the “Eye of God” at the altar of the San Miguel Mission in San Miguel, CA (I live in Pleasanton). Just lovely – doesn’t make me sleepy at all. And, Hans, love the Quill pen – how the contrails speak to us in their own language!
      And yes, as a photographer, scale is one thing I’m aware of when photographing. Digital photography can make an image too “perfect” and it would have taken a millisecond to clone the bird out. But, I like to have life in my photographs as well as defy compositional rules, but I try leave these cloud images in as close a state in which I took it.
      And I have another question – I haven’t found an “overview” of this site – so if we post an image here, are we able to post it elsewhere or submit it elsewhere on the site? There’s so many options I can’t quite get the overall view. Thanks!

Participant

Lisa,  I think as close to an Overview you’ll find is..cloud should part of a discussion or exhibition. The site is International so a decorum is subtly implied.  But there are no hard rules besides adhering to our manifesto. One thing tho..I think is still in place..is the instance you post  creative content, here, its copyrighted. Thats true at any Internet Site. Can you post your work at multiple sites ?yes. Can sites do what ever they want with your work? Not with out your permission. Yes  a photo  of yours can be in the Gallery and you can post it in a forum.

So, another approach to the Freedom we are allowed here,,is a personal plan. Do you have a library of shots you want to share?  Do you have a style you want to explore and express? etc. How much time a day or a week can you afford to posting at CAS? etc..We are quite free here to post our creations. Quite free to discuss technical scientific etc aspects of cloud.  Yes, that freedom can be intimidating or just put aside as one enjoys their chosen way to express an appreciation of Clouds.

Arizona B&W#188

dec0319a7282Lac

Participant

Thank-you, Michael! I do love this site and I love clouds! I have no immediate goal in mind as to what to do with my cloud photos. I just keep taking them and enjoy sharing at this blog and receiving the Cloud a Day image in my inbox and when luck provides, submit a cloud on the CloudSpotter APP. Yes, clouds are for dreamers….
      And Arizona B&W #188 are Lacunosus, no? They disappear rather quickly….

Day BreakerCrepsecularRaysIMG_9835

Participant

Love the frothiness of your #188, Michael. And that looks like the start of a very promising day, Lisa.

Hans, fun to see your beautiful Quill Pen both here and in color on the Gallery! It is just what this cloud fellow below would need to record his lofty visions.

IMG_2491_B&W_Pileus DreamsPileus Dreams

Participant

Thanks Keelin and Lisa about the Pen.

Love the freedom here to post pictures that are as much – or as little – edited as each one wants. It is nice to keep experimenting and practicing with the features LR offer.

Great foamy #188, great Daybreaker and Pileus Dreams as well. They all make the fun of this thread for me.

2020-06 Charigny (102)-1

Cloud With A View

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

P1060689 (2)A Whisper

Participant

A Whisper evokes such a beautiful, gentle feeling, Ruth.

And what a fantastic view that cloud must have, Hans. Great drama in how you’ve presented it here for all to enjoy. And I couldn’t agree with you more about the freedom we’re offered here on the CAS forum. Was it Michael who first mentioned the idea of exploring color-inverted photos? Below is an example where both images maintain their cloudy qualities, but offer different dimensional perspectives.

IMG_1755_BW_One WayOne Way

IMG_1755_WB_And AnotherAnd Another

Participant

Arizona B&W#189

dec2319a7581perc

Participant

Great soft texture in #189 Michael. One Way And Another is a marvelous duo Keelin perfectly showing the fun of experimenting. Great fine lines in both and especially striking in And Another. Love them. Experimenting this way is like rubbing a jar and finally find a …

2020-09 Wolken (13)-1

Djinn

Participant

IMG_20200528_182316809_HDR (2)Down Pillow Stuffing

Participant

Sleep and dreams come easily to mind with the three images above. Michael, your #189 beckons like the softest bed, and Hans, your Djinn could find a role to play in any dreamscape while my noggin rests quite comfortably on that fine down pillow, Ruth. What adventures could be had! The trick would be to linger upon awakening and try to remember it all without too much distortion.

IMG_5416_BW_The Challenge Of Dream RecallThe Challenge Of Dream Recall

Participant

Salvidor Dali kept a easel, canvas, paints and brushes next to his bed so he could readily capture a dream if it was good enough to wake him. Nice shots Ruth ,Keelin and Hans!

Arizona B&W#190

july2317a4912

Participant

P1040276 (3)A Small Lantern

Participant

Love the illusions to dreams and pillows and whispers and lanterns! Clouds are so captivating on so many levels (aka layers). Love that Dali was prepared to capture his dreams as soon as he woke up! Much study is being done today on the creativity of hynogogic and hypnopomic sleep (the stages between being awake and being asleep). That all brings me to wabi-sabi this afternoon. Somehow I think it all fits together. Wabi-sabi being in part: “…is the beauty of the withered, weathered, tarnished, scarred, intimate, coarse, earthly, evanescent, tentative, ephemeral.” From Six Names of Beauty by Crispin Sartwell. I think this image fits the wabi-sabi of cloud-induced sleep! (sorry for the low resolution – I don’t know what happened to the original file). IMG_6108

Participant

Indeed, Lisa, those borderline sleep states can be fascinating and offer great fodder for creativity, as does the luscious land of lucid dreaming. When I saw the clouds align to match the classic L-R-L-R eye movement lucidity signal (as seen in research experiment EOG recordings), it looked to me like proof that the Sky is aware it is dreaming. ;)

IMG_4779_BW_Cognizant CloudsCognizant Clouds

Participant

Sometimes that’s all one needs, Ruth, just a small bit of light! You’ve captured it nicely there.

And thanks for kind words, Michael. Indeed, Dali was a master at depicting the surreality of his dream landscapes. I think he would have admired your B&W#190, as do I.

Also meant to compliment your image above, Lisa, a dream in the making!

IMG_7028_BW_The Wild Brush Of The Expressionistic PainterThe Wild Brush Of The Expressionistic Painter

Participant

A great Dali in Arizona B&W#190, Michael. Love it. Then a Small Lantern by Ruth and a dream in the making By Lisa. Great B&W’s but I also learned a lot about dreaming in the former posts. The Challenge Of Dream Recall by Keelin must have triggered this stream of dreams. This one and The Wild Brush Of The Expressionistic Painter have something special in common that gives them a mysterious appeal. Like a dream indeed.

2018-04-21 Charigny_0232 B&W an klein
      An Attempt To Dream On

Participant

The REM stage sleep waves are wonderful, Keelin! And the attmept to Dream On from Michael reminds me of tidal wave nightmares. Oh, how does one wake up from a dream nightmare? And that paintbrush was surely loaded with oil paint, leaving such marks on the canvas..

The Dream that Got AwayContrailWith2Birds5445

Participant

Hans, your Attempt To Dream On is such a beautiful image. It elicits a certain smile here as it so well reflects that yearning to continue enjoyable adventures.*

And Lisa, your Dream That Got Away effectively captures that fleeting moment of dream dissolution. Ah, I know it well! It’s also, on its own merits, a very interesting cloud photo.

As for painterly works, here is one with lighter, looser strokes of cloud brushes that brings to mind another form of art.

IMG_1895_BW_Interpretive Dance
      Interpretive Dance

*Off topic, but hopefully helpful for anyone interested: There are actually a couple of reliable (as in scientifically tested) techniques discovered by Stephen LaBerge that can prolong the dream state. If anyone has an urge to look into these, be sure to read his original writings (on spinning and hand-rubbing while adream) as there is way too much misinformation about such things on some internet websites.

Participant

Yes, Keelin – Dancers! Ballerinas in my imagination.

In Search of Lucidity – Dendrite DisconnectAug152020_9865copy copy

Disconnected Comment: Through the International Association for the Study of Dreams, there will be an online conference on Lucid Dreaming coming up soon, with 12 speakers. Fabrina Bogzaran has studied the creative aspect of hynogogic sleep-she’s an artist and scientist. If this Conference doesn’t spark me into lucidity, then at least I can still keep my head and heart in the clouds!

Participant

Arizona B&W#191

dec1519a7468altCum

Participant

Love the composition in your tapestry of cloudlets Michael. The fanning out top left and the compacting down right work well.

The clouds in Interpretative Dance make me happy Keelin, like the clouds themselves seem to be happily waving their hands high in the air. Love it.

I love Dendrite Disconnect as well. It looks like a cloudy brain. Very applicable and clever title, Lisa.

I try to stay connected to this continuing lucid dream-theme.

2017-03-25 Wolken_0138 asr klein B&W an sch11

Neural Network

Participant

Michael, your clear and crispy capture is like a murmuration of cloudlets. Breathtaking!

Lisa, Dendrite Disconnect reminds me of my foggy brain in the morning. A very clever title for your intriguing photo!

And what a fine mesh is your Neural Network, Hans! Definitely caffeinated. Just looking at it leaves me feeling energized. A habit, you ask? Perhaps!

IMG_1924_BW_Subconscious TendenciesSubconscious Tendencies

Participant

Arizona B&W#192

nov2118a0219

Participant

Hans, Arizona #191 brings Infinity to mind. Lovely! And Hans, Neural Network is invigorating to say the least! Such an appropriate title as well. And Keelen, your Subconcsious Tendencies remind me of bringing out the Shadow Side of our unconscious. And Arizone #192 Michael seems to bring peace of mind to all of the above!

Deep Sleep

DeepSleep0700

Participant

Lisa, your photos are so appealing.  I find this forum is a hard one for me.  Very abstract like Picasso.P1060538 (2)  Whirlpool

Participant

With Subconscious Tendencies the recent dream-theme had a perfect dénouement. One with a mysterious feel imo.
      Btw: I think it is funny to find a typical French word in an English dictionary. I like to use it here but is it common use this way?

2020-10 Wolken (267)-1

Ripples And Holes

Participant

Ruth – thank you for the compliment! As I rescroll through these images, they seem to become more profound as time goes on – much like the changing shapes of the clouds as they reshape themselves every moment! I look forward to seeing more of your photographs here; Whirlpool captures several cloud types and is so expressive of them all!  Well done! And Hans, “denouement” is a new word for me – I looked it up and it seems a perfect fit here! And Ripples and Holes seems tobe the passageway between consciousness and the unconscious!TicklesMay092020_0347

Tickles

Participant

Tickles certainly delivers the desired effect in a delightfully visual format, Lisa. Thanks for the good giggles.

And, in agreement, denouement is a perfect word for the occasion, Hans, especially as Lisa guided us to the next phase with her lovely visual lullaby in Deep Sleep.

As for Ripples and Holes what a striking image! With pareidolia permanently in place, I thought perhaps it was some multi-eyed creature. A wonder that would have me awonder if my underlying tendencies are showing up again. At least it looks friendly!

Michael, you’ve created an impressive sense of depth in #192, delivering that old grey magic again. Why do those bits and bobs always bring a sense of delight akin to a rain of confetti?

Ruth, while most images in the B&W folders do have an abstract quality, I hope that won’t dissuade you from visiting and continuing to contribute here. At first glance at this forum topic just a few years ago, I had no idea how quickly I would come to appreciate the untethered formations, cleverly captured and cropped, and presented primarily by Michael and Hans. Studying their photos has helped train my eye to see subtleties in cloud formations I would otherwise miss. If you scroll through the archives, you’re sure to find some images that are less abstract, so rest assured your Whirlpool is welcome! And I hope to see more from you here.

Below, I leave it to all to figure out. Is this an abstract image or…

IMG_0929_BW_The Hand Of Something Or Other?The Hand Of Something Or Other?

Participant

Lisa and Keelin,  thanks so much for your encouragement with the B & W category.  I may need a big glass of wine to feel the creativity flow.

Participant

Thanks Keelin!,,I have alot of fun with fields of AltCum and Cirrus Cum  especially if other clouds at different altitudes are in play. The lighting is so very important. The soft grey shots are the result of  late afternoon or near sundown and or overcast conditions. One good field of Alt cum with the right light and  a good zoom telephoto lens, can produce a lot of shots fun to look at.

multi-directional undulatus

Arizona B&W#193

nov1718a0080

Participant

Michael, the multi-directional undulatus looks like an explosion about to happen! And the softness/bluriness elicits the movement of these undulating clouds. Very nice! And Keelin, I’ve learned yet another new word – pareidolia! Turns out the word isn’t in my dictionary. Love that language changes, as do the clouds. Another good reason this site is such fun-we learn as we do! I’d suggest that your cloud could be the Hand of Fate!

Ray of Hope

RayofHopeIMG_9396

Participant

Wow, Michael, what a fabulous photo is your #193! I can almost hear the wind—in both ears!

And Lisa, you’re likely to run into that new word often if you visit the looks-like topic. And what a splendid and welcome Ray of Hope you’ve presented—a light in the darkness, perhaps even in the deepest depth of the sea!

Below, maybe a little moonlight magic?

IMG_1467_BW_Jardin au Clair de LuneJardin au Clair de Lune

Participant

IMG_8261_BW_Intrepid TravelerIntrepid Traveler

Participant

Arizona B&W#194

july1019a5327AlStrArt

Participant

P1060469 (2)Deep Sea Diver

Participant

Arizona B&W#195

nov2118a0197

Participant

Ruth and Michael, you seem to be sharing the same sky in your latest images. But then, don’t we all? I wonder what transformations this little cloud will undergo as it swims through the Sea of Sky.

IMG_8279_BW_Little Fish, Big PondLittle Fish, Big Pond

Participant

Arizona B&W #196

sept1619a6656AltStrat

Participant

Michael, I can almost see the clouds in #196 reshaping themselves to come together. Leave it to clouds to know how to compromise without losing their integrity.

In the images below, I inverted the original B&W photo (on the left) and found the W&B version delivering a distinctly different feeling. Again, I thank you for introducing me to the idea of exploring this optional view. The results are sometimes quite a surprise. The semordnilap title seemed somehow appropriate.

Mood vs DoomMood/Doom

Participant

Lisa, congratulations on your Cloud Of The Day photo yesterday! The skein of Snow Geese silhouetted by a beautiful pastel-clouded sky is absolutely stunning.

I am reminded of…
      IMG_8318_BW_Sudden InspirationSudden Inspiration

Participant

Lisa, I agree with Keelin on your CAD.  Great capture of the birds.  In my area we get to enjoy snow geese too.  Especially the spring and fall.  P1050362 (2)One Scoop Of Vanilla

Participant

Thank you Ruth and Keelin for your words about my photograph being accepted in Cloud-A-Day. It was an honor! Sudden Inspiration fits the theme exactly, a spirit bird in flight. And Ruth, how did you know vanilla was my favorite ice cream flaver? Cumulous clouds are the best clouds for pareidolia (if I am using that correctly in the sentence). And Keelin, love the way you are exploring black on white and vice versa – each version has its own viseral impact. And these days, I do feel as if I’m at a crossroad….CrossroadsMG_0109

Crossroads

Viewing 99 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.