Forums The Cloud Forum Asperitas sightings

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Photo Editor avatarPhoto Editor
      Keymaster
      Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Thanks, Ian.

You have beaten me to it.  I was intending to post this article onto the Gallery later this evening.

I have in the past oft asked – both the CAS and BBC Weather Watchers –  what prevents a link up between but with no real positive answer.  The blur between CAS and BBC Weather Watchers is almost indistinguishable.  There are mutual interests here – CLOUDS!

Come on!

Laurence

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

OK, Laurence, so what do you have in mind for this ‘link up’? I agree there are mutual interests, but I do not agree they are almost indistinguishable.

My world view (not just a country view) is in terms of Venn diagrams
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

If BBC Weather Watchers is the centre circle then CAS is an overlapping circle. Storm watchers might be another overlapping circle, and indeed there are weather watcher groups in the UK who are not BBC.

Similarly, other broadcasters such as ABC, CBC, NBC etc round the world are overlapped by CAS. BBC may not always reach all parts of the world with every program, a friend in Dallas, USA, advises.

So I am happy with the way CAS has developed its own worldwide niche.

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

meanwhile…over the southwest deserts of America..low and close Asperitas:

sept1216b7263b

Participant

Asperitas Over The Work Place Early Morning

aug0715b8051

Participant

Thanks, Hygge, for your comments which I have taken on board and for the most part agree with.

My suggestion really stems from the wish that the CAS website could include  a small number of readily acceesible and carefully chosen links to other similar and popular websites connected with weather and clouds.  That said, there are so many weather websites so which does one choose?  Hmmm.  Ponderous food for thought.

I would add this – the CAS is now running as a business, not as a society hitherto, and should therefore, I think, be seeking business opportunities to further its expansion, visibility and increase worldwide membership.  That said, it is up to the CAS to decide.

Laurence

Participant

Hi Hygge

Thanks kindly, and much so ,for providing the links in your reply.  They are a real treasure trove!  I have saved the links and have already included some into my Favourites listing for future reference and veiwing.

I like all your postings – they make for great and interesting reading.

Best wishes.

Laurence

Participant

Asperitas Over Mesa

sept1216b7259

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Meanwhile …. very nice pictures of Asperitas Michael!

And now I am curious about what the ICA would tell as about the circumstances under which Asperitas can or will appear. I haven’t read that much about this question so far. I hope the information will be free accessible from the moment the new atlas will  be online. I suppose March 23, 2017?

And also thanks for the links Hygge.

Participant

Hans the only thing I can say about ” conditions”  is look for layers or duplicatus conditions. It seems to me..kind of like a Holmbroe  Instability, where two layers of differing speed or maybe direction or maybe temperature,  ,,interface so to speak, cause the Roll or wave action. I’ve wondered if Asperitas is like seeing a Holmbroe from underneath over large area? Another thought,,is Mammatus is air sinking, then Asperitas is like air rising?There ALWAYS seems cloudlets streaming upwards when above Asperitas can be seen. That just may be why I have observed  perlucidus  so often prior to an  Asperitas event. Rising warm or hot air from the desert creates waves  ??

Asperitas Lite

mar2816b3923

Participant

Very interesting observations Michael. I haven’t seen Asperitas that much to  add something to it. The irregular undulations are intriguing and the role of the winds and sinking or rising of air masses must play a role. Your Asperitas Lite is a very beautiful example.

This looks like a small part of the sky where it shows? That would be something I have seen also on a few occasions and although the characteristic pictures of Asperitas show dramatic structures, in cases that I saw Asperitas it appeared not that dramatic. Maybe because the land over here is flat except for the dunes. I read in the Dutch version of Wikipedia on the subject Asperitas that it occurs often in the Great Plains of the USA in the morning hours or midday following convective thunderstorm activity. That fits I suppose.

Two years ago I saw this one looking to the south. In the middle of the wide angle picture here under (rather dramatized by enhancing) you can see the characteristic undulations. Certainly not filling the sky.

2015-05-12 Asperatus_0022 ns klein

Almost at the same time in the East …

2015-05-12 Asperatus_0023 ns klein

Participant

Hans,,I like to look at Asperitas upside down. Doing so verifies that its Asperitas. Cloud being pulled up in pockets becomes very obvious and takes a lot of the mystery out of this new cloud called Asperitas. Can It be very local? Sure I’ve got plenty of pics of just a few clouds that are experiencing wavy churning choppy seas. IMHO, thats still Asperitas. The pic above, ” Lite”..left me stunned when I saw it developing in the sky. All The signs of Asperitas in one small area, perhaps one cloud.!! I was shooting lenticulars and velum, a monsoon day with good winds, when this cloud starts waving at me. So I took its picture. No arguments. There it is.

The 1st pic below is from a session that already has a couple of shots in the CAS Gallery. This shot is more for science than anything. Again, the whole session took place right above the work area right around dawn. I have found only one Asperitas shoot that took place late afternoon. The interesting thing in this pic is the cloud activity above the horizontal line compared to the mild wavy bottom surface. Complete opposites.. My advantage was I was positioned in front of the whole advancing system. It was coming straight at me. Another event that left me speechless.

The 2nd shot below..another speechless event. On the way to home from work I spotted all the signs in the distant sky. Layered clouds in turmoil. I chose a route that would take me to North Mountain city park a few miles from home. Timing was perfect. I was transported to somewhere elseville. I had to keep reminding myself to take pics. The clouds were not thick, therefore let a lot of light thru. Yet still darkened at their “base” for contrast. Look at the pic upside down for the texture. Not a massive wave or two, but a wide area of many many smaller waves. Choppy seas indeed.

sept1216b7234

nov2816b8864

Participant

Yes indeed Elseville Michael, that is where you think you are when you are watching these skies. And nice to have the opportunity to see it develop. Very interesting observations you make.

Your first one is local and I recognize the situation from the gallery, but the second one is quite covering the sky. This shows a type that can be seen more in the gallery and is very characteristic but does not show the large irregular undulations. Much more a somewhat regular pattern I would say. Choppy sea you call it and a choppy sea it is for sure.

I would appreciate your opinion on the next two pictures taken within a few minutes in different directions some years ago. In reality a bit more grey, but a little enhancements shows better what pattern attracted me in the view. Upside down or not I am in doubt.

2015-07-19 Clouds_0001 ns klein

2015-07-19 Clouds_0014 uitsnede ns klein

Participant

Hans I Think your first shot is populated by undulatus but thats about all. The second shot has the wavy horizontal lines I like to see when looking for Asperitas. Perhaps more time would have more rolls or more compressed rolls. ..The Pros like to put their clouds on scale of 1 to 10. Asperitas will be eventually parametered the same way. I would give your second shot a .5..very mild. Asperitas is supposed to mean churned up, aerated,aspirate,,and as a Yank, I think in terms of…NFL ..National Football League) as far as churning things up. I learned how ” culture” affects definitions of words . Asperitus across the pond carries little if any NFL connotations . Kind of like , ” roughing it” is a picnic in the country side complete with table cloth and glass ware.

So I give 2 examples. The first is a close shot of a single patch of Asperitas with all the traditional churning and the 2nd shot,,taken mid afternoon , again, right over the work place;A Medium display of Undulatus Asperitas. I was facing south and east taking pics of dense undulations and turned around to see this approaching,,Again speechless.

dec3016b9535

jan1917b0136

HAPPY ASPERITAS DAY!!

Participant

Yeah, the Asperitas can be found in the online ICA and it even was in the news. Unfortunately no Crow or Holmboe instabilities or von Karman vortices. You can’t have it all.

Many tanks for the analysis Michael. With your NFL rating method my own Asperitas events score a rather moderate picnic level I suppose, knowing that you scored the second picture at medium level, … but nothing wrong with a good picnic-time.

In my attempt to roughing it up just a little:

2015-05-12 Asperatus_0006 asr klein

Ending with just a hint of Asperitas behind a Dutch windmill.

2015-05-12 Asperatus_0033 ns klein

Participant

Another Patch of Asperitas..never too late..

nov0214b0754

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.