Wrack Related

Wrack Related

Forums The Cloud Forum Wrack Related

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

” hygge” has found a archaic definition of the word , ” Wrack” ( see luggage thread) as to being high,,Thick, fast moving clouds. Perhaps poetic in use, and for that I like the word applied to things of this website..Clouds! As G Davies points out , altitude is variable; Better with a stronger emphasis on the Thick and fast moving,,which strongly fits to the Arizona cloud phenomena.

Over time I’ve taken quite a few pictures , straight up, into the fast moving ” wracks” sweeping by. The abundant amount of ” light” here in the desert finds it way thru the Thick of these wracks and with the help of a good lens and a excellent software processing package ( Adobe Lightroom),,Wracks become a venue of poetic expression. For starters, below is a B/W pic and a color pic of overhead segments of wracks. With enough of these perhaps the World Meteorological Organization could some day upgrade from the archaic ” Wrack” definition to a modern appellation..? ;).

wrk

wrk

Participant

A couple more:
      wrack

wrack

Participant

Additionally

wrack

wrack

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

MikeL you have mastered the wracks as much as the high etage. You say ” The abundant amount of ” light” here in the desert finds it way thru the Thick of these wracks “; many of your pictures give the impression of being into the sun, but perhaps not?

I recently wished I had your skills to capture a late afternoon fair weather sky with Cu to the NE which displayed such a wonderful variety of size, shape, shine, shadow and tone, against touches of blue, as to take my breath away.

‘H’

Participant

hygge, With thick clouds, contrast is very important. If you can pre program your dslr for a max contrast capture I would take the time to do it. Contrast is important because its needed to separate the grey tones of clouds AND most digital cameras use contrast to electronically focus.So, shooting into the sun is just seeing where the hilight is and positioning the highlite to be were the eye goes to. Using contrast to direct the eye is part of the craft.

The challenge of shooting directly overhead in thick stormy wrack,,is seeing the contrast and seeing if there is enough there to work with. The fast moving part makes it a real challenge . So camera is pre programed, eye is attuned to where the ” action ” or movement is and hopefully where there is shadow and highlite as well. When All the elements come together, start pressing the shutter button. Processing takes over after that. Again, I can’t recommend Adobe Lightroom enuf. Not into the sun, Just having highlites for the eye to go to.wrack

Marsha Smithhisler avatarMarsha Smithhisler
      Participant

Say Mike, if you rotate that last one 90 degrees to the right (assuming that it’s the bottom of the picture that is moving right), you will see a majestic horse on the left.

Participant

Hi Marsha!, You subtly point out one of the aspects of Shooting straight up into the clouds, that I enjoy a lot; the lack of a horizon line, allows a pic to be turned any which way one pleases, a form of freedom I suppose.
      wrack

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

HH, I see the horse.

MikeL, I read in a business advert that there are now hybrid clouds, combining private, public and managed clouds. Perhaps your clouds are the private flavour?

I say flavour, choosing it over identity or sort, knowing that type is taken, as is class (perhaps), and stage is not relevant. But you-all out there might have a better word?

‘H’

Participant

hygge, The problem is that ” these clouds” of Wrack vary in altitude, dark being low cloud and the Lite being higher as well as the fast nature makes the effort almost pointless. I’d say they are specific parts of a cumulonimbus,even cumulocongestus. Perhaps the ability to discern , photograph, these clouds of Wrack is enhanced by the local conditions here in the desert. I’m photographing straight up into the cloud so perspective is not of the usual either. So, private flavour, maybe just me exploring for a unique, individual expression. The actual photographs are niche photography,which in todays “everybody has a camera” world is what the individual is left with.

I have a lot of fun shooting these Wrack shots. There is danger. Lightning is always possible. And sometimes it gets very busy trying to capture the good stuff before its gone. Yet, capturing the wild untamed free nature of the hurly burly I suppose is just a reflection on a human’s lament. Perhaps I’ll make a video someday.
      wrk

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.