What are these clouds?

What are these clouds?

Forums The Cloud Forum What are these clouds?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Alexandra Browne avatarAlexandra Browne
      Participant

What is the stack of clouds called? (Taken with a rubbish mobile phone.) And the layered cloud? (Taken with a better mobile phone.) Thank you!

Alexxx

IMG_4252 adjWP_20180916_10_36_17_Pro GOOD adj

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Hello Alexandra, Nice pictures!

What you call stack of clouds is a nice street of clouds in a row, so stratocumulus. They seem to be stacked bur that is just perspective and they are properly queuing. For what I don’t know.

Your second picture shows a great scenery with altocumulus  lenticularis.

Look for them by selecting the cloud type or cloud feature in the gallery (click on the icon between the search and the avatar top right in the main menu of the gallery) and you will find lots of other beautiful examples.

I hope this helps?

Best wishes, Hans

Alexandra Browne avatarAlexandra Browne
      Participant

Thanks Hans, that’s great. :)

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

DHatfield_Overall_42854

Hello All – I thought I would jump in as the topic of this thread is just what I’m needing help on. Two photos (unfortunately both taken with my rubbish mobile phone); one overview and one detail. I think the one is undulatus, and the other virga (I hope not just a fancy contrail). In any event, I do love the structure shown in the detail photo.
      Thanks – Don

DHatfield_Detail_42854

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Don..yes I think you are right..virga and undulatus..Interesting that the virga is singular in a field of undulatus..good spot!

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Your cloudscape of altocumulus lenticularis is lovely, Alexandra! I find the colors quietly moody in an especially beautiful way.

And Don, what lucky timing on this work in progress! I like to think you caught the sky working on a few lines of poetry — and using that Virga cloud as an editing eraser.

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

DHatfield_42854

Thanks to all for helping with the ID(s). And yes, Keelin, as I watched over a period of about 20 minutes, the eraser did indeed finish up, and then itself began to dissipate, as if with a sense of a job well done. (sigh!)

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Just a note that all cumulus clouds (in a given situation) have the base at the same height. Cumulus clouds form by convection (large rising bubbles of air) and undergo a cooling process. When they reach a certain temperature, the vapor starts to condense, therefore the clouds form. Because the air mass is rather uniform, any of these “bubbles” will reach that temperature at the same level. And, as Hans says, the stacking effect is just a perspective effect.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.