Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

bw

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

I could not get this one out of my mind, MikeL. Then on Jazz Record Requests today it hit me – Miles Runs The Voodoo Down:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074z3n0

Participant

Haa! Im familiar with that work. Hitting that long sustained note ,fading with the incessant beat and haunting intermingle from Zawinal, Shorter and Chorea..Be dop Be dop BAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa..Bought the album 1970 and can still hear it in my head..and maybe even see it in the clouds.

Bastian Ulmer avatarBastian Ulmer
      Participant

Michael, you inspire me to try out some new stuff.
      B/W is a new planet for me…

Participant

Bastian, May B&W become a ” Universe” for you. Black and White always seemed a misnomer to me. For me, its more about exploring the “Grey”.

Nice work on the virga there! I am looking forward to seeing your work with the Grey. A tip or two; I have 3 pre programmed shooting modes for B&W. One for Yellow filter effect. One for Orange Filter effect and one for Red filter effect. How much contrast there is in the sky,,or how much ” distinction” there is amongst the clouds, determines which filter effect I decide to use. Most shooting is with Orange filter effect,,with necessary 1/3 to 2/3 F stop increase adjustment in exposure. Low contrast in sky means Red filter effect to get the clouds to pop out in picture..High contrast in sky ( mid day sun) i use yellow filter effect program..Watch the details in the high lights and try to make the negative space ( darkest blacks) do something.

The other thing about B&W cloud photography is the surprises. Most digital cameras ” see” further into the Ultra violet and InfraRed than our eyes do. So every now and then as you are processing a photo, elements emerge that you originally did not see. That is fun and fascinating. Trust becomes part of the photographing experience. Have Fun!

Bastian Ulmer avatarBastian Ulmer
      Participant

Michael, thank you so much for your help!!
      I will let you know about new results and “surprises” ;-)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.