The 3rd Week of August

The 3rd Week of August

Forums The Cloud Forum The 3rd Week of August

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

The 3rd week of August appears to be the peak of the  Pileus/ Velum  phenomena in the Phoenix area of the Upper Sonoran Desert.  My photographic record indicates  most shots of Pileus occur  during generally the 3rd week of the heavily monsoon month of August.  Of course the Monsoon season runs from apprx  early July to mid September with  opportunity to witness Pileus scattered through out. But the density increases to almost daily and the increases in frequency from the late afternoon 4 p.m. to sunset, 7:30 ish can be astonishing from August 15th to August 24th. Understand that the atmosphere is hot ,105F-113F and the humidity exceeds 35% .While quiet uncomfortable,,is what drives the physics that creates Pileus and Velum.

The comfort issue is soon forgot when the Pileus begin to pop out of the atmosphere tho. But the electronic camera has its own ” comfort” issues. I haven’t found one that is recommended or guaranteed to operate correctly above 100f or so..So color shifts and slow performance can be expected. A glass of cold fluid helps the human survive and keeping the camera out of direct sunlite  helps but  a good ( adobe lightroom) processing software package  also helps the  photos.

So here is some of my favorite  Pileus and Velum shots  of this year from a backyard in north Phoenix. All shots were taken between 4p.m. and 7:30p.m..Maybe you have your own Pileus and or Velum shots. Feel free to post them in this thread!

aug2418b4786

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Michael, I remember you once said “everything for art”? But aren’t you mistaking about the humidity at 35%. That seems to be low and I expect it to be much higher, since the yearly averaged relative humidity for the Netherlands is already some 88%. Maybe a different kind of unity?

Anyway …… a fantastic shot Michael. The cloud in front seems to be looking in amazement at the Pileus on top. It must be a coincidence that I just noticed in the Color Thread that you seem to have a lot of great Pileus pics – also a very beautiful recent one on the gallery  -when you started this topic. Now you explained.

Since you ask for more shots I dug in my archive and found out that I don’t have many Pileus. Just a few from a series of 4 years ago.  I look forward for more from others and you.

2014-09 Frankrijk_0181-3

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Hans, I have a big book Weather (from the Weather Guide Calendar). It has at the back tables of monthly US Climatic Data. For August in Phoenix, AZ it gives among other details

* average max temperature 102.3F, record max 116F

*  relative humidity 23

Participant

Yes, I can find the same kind figures googling on relative humidity Hygge. It is so different from our climate that I was surprised.

Nevertheless I found an extraordinary atypical peak in the humidity in the beginning of October. Can´t see that high humidity in other months. Something very wet must have happened a week ago Michael?

Relative humidity Phoenix October 2018

Average humidity Phoenix

Participant

Yes Hans, a tropical storm came up the Baja and kinda sat there on the California/ Arizona border feeding what seemed like days of storm. Lots of rain.  Some small parts of the Valley flooded.  Temperatures dropped from lows in low 80 f to mid 50 f.Ground is still wet as of this a.m.

I found The South West Regional Weather Statistics Report , centered out of San Diego Ca. and it shows:

Average temperature for August Phoenix Arizona 1950 – 2000: Disgusting!

Highest temperature During August Phoenix Arizona 1950-2000: When Everybody Left Town And Went To Flagstaff

Average Humidity During August Phoenix Arizona 1950-2000: Fetid Panting Dog Breath

Participant

Ha, I overlooked this reply from you Michael and having read it now it like the measuring units you use for some weather figures, especially the one for humidity. Can’t be pleasant!

Here under you write about records in rainfall for Phoenix Arizona. Over here we experience the opposite. It has never been so dry this summer, still being under the influence of a large high pressure system.

Crazy capped clouds in this thread by the way. Love them.

Participant

btw…Late last week Phoenix Az broke the standing record for rainfall for the month of October. And we’re barely half way through the month. Seems the south eastern pacific produced  a few tropical storms that rolled up the Mexican coast and met the cold air coming down from the north pacific. Warm oceans are everywhere.

Participant

Hans, Thanks for contributing!. My comment on humidity is deceptive. Relative humidity might be more accurate. At  110f  any humidity over, even 10%  is uncomfortable, but the point is,,the atmosphere contains much moisture as it is pumped up from the subtropics by a High Pressure centered around 4corners area of the Southwest. I don’t have the formula in front of me but when the atmosphere is  very warm it can contain a lot of moisture and it does. What percentage an atmosphere can be of moisture, before it reaches maximum, when it condenses out of the atmosphere, its dew point, depends on temperature and pressure. Both play significant roles in manifesting Pileus. The temperature of the atmosphere puts parameters on the existing dew point ,and the fast rising column of cloud (heat being its engine) compresses the atmosphere above it, increases pressure to eventually bring the above atmosphere to a dew point forcing condensation to  happen, a human below witnesses a faint smudge that appears out of nowhere and  says Look! Magic! and is entertained by the evolving fashion show of fine linen flowing down and through the columns of cloud. Versace can’t touch this stuff.  btw, a side note,,its my observation that in order to more successfully spot Pileus, look for the fast rising columns amongst the congestus.  You may notice at a certain height Pileus is manifested. Pileus doesn’t always happen at the very tops of cloud cells.  Anyway, 35% moisture at 110F  is rather disgusting .And thats just for starters. If you do not want to sweat,you stay in an air conditioned environment period. Even thats a misstatement. We are always sweating. Its just the air absorbs the moisture we  exude, but stops when the air already has plenty of moisture. Then it stops absorbing our moisture and it stays on our bodies turning us into clams and jelly fish…a Nobel Peace Prize to the first geneticist who figures out how to make our sweat smell like roses!

aug2418b4795

Participant

Ah, this seems to be the cloud that looked up in amazement in the former pic now having its own cap of pileus.

Michael, it is crystal clear that the circumstances of warmth and humidity are exhausting. It is exactly like you explain no matter the numbers. Anyway it turns out to be ideal for pileus. I will be watching out for it on growing congestus for sure.

And now I remember a topic I created with the phases of pileus. This pileus showed up not on top of a majestic congestus, but just a mediocre single growing cumulus passing by my house.

Phases of pileus in 7 minutes

It was one of the rare moments I had a good view on it. Love to quote what you wrote in respons: “clouds luv to audition“. And now I add to the list of quotes from you “Versace can’t touch that stuff“. Both quotes being so true. I look forward for more clouds that auditioned for you and I will watch carefully for the ones that will  audition over here.

Participant

One of the challenges is dealing with several Pileus  occurring at the same time. Sometimes you get lucky when photographing one, another pops into view nearby. An interesting velum shot turned into a photo bomb opportunity for Pileus.

aug2218b4559

Participant

Pileus and Velum and Airplane!

aug2418b4823

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Michael, these (along with your other Pileus and Velum photos here and featured in the Gallery) are such beautiful and dramatic images — thank you for sharing them . I’ve yet to add one of these to my own collection, so it’s especially fun to see them on display here.

Participant

Thanks Keelin,  They don’t last for very long so keep an eye for them when the congestus build up on a not too windy day. Later in the afternoon is when the physics get strong enough to force these little delights out of hiding.

aug2418b4841

Participant

Sometimes they are not so little

aug2218b4622

Participant

aug2218b4586

Participant

aug2418b4857

Participant

aug2218b4598

Participant

aug2418b4879

Participant

aug2418b4908

Participant

aug2418b4994

Participant

aug2418b4984

Participant

aug2218b4642

Participant

aug2418b4902

Participant

aug2418b4944

Participant

aug2418b4974

Participant

aug2418b5009

Participant

aug2318b4754

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

What a fantastic collection you’re continuing to gather, Michael. Love the lumpy contrast between cumulus cloud and veil-like vellum. Your latest is particularly dramatic. My cap is off to you!

Participant

Thank You Keelin!

aug2218b4632

Participant

aug2418b5024

Participant

What a great series this is Michael. Thanks for sharing this way. Despite the  unpleasant circumstances of the Arizona monsoon season it enables you to capture these very beautiful pictures of which it is hard to choose a favorite, for they are all favorites. Nevertheless, the one on the gallery (posted October 4 2018) is still outstanding. I suppose we unfortunately have to wait for more after next monsoon season has afflicted your senses once more?

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.