Podcast On today’s Sunday Read, the story of the Cloud Appreciation Society

Podcast On today’s Sunday Read, the story of the Cloud Appreciation Society

Forums The Cloud Forum Podcast On today’s Sunday Read, the story of the Cloud Appreciation Society

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Cloud Lovers One and All: Below is a link to a new podcast about (more than) the history of the Cloud Appreciation Society. While many of you may feel you know already know the story, I encourage you to listen through to the end of the reading where the author describes attending the 10-year celebration of the society. It literally brought me to tears.

Thank you, Gavin! No doubt you had no idea when you began this wild adventure how deeply people would be moved by your encouragement to simply take a moment of stillness to look up, breathe in that sky we all live within, and share what brings boundless, ever-morphing, phenomenal joy and wonder, and a much needed sense of connectedness to cloud spotters around the world.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL3RoZS1kYWlseQ/episode/NmU4NjdkZGMtYTBlNy00OTljLTkyMWYtMjNiODM2Y2VmZWZm?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwjnvd2PzbXuAhW7LLkGHWGIAYgQieUEegQIIBAF&ep=6

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Thank you Keelin! This was wonderfully entertaining, and I’d recommend it to all of our members. In fact, on the Facebook Livestream today, I think I’ll post the link to listen to it

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Dear Keelin

Greetings, and warm at that, during these very cold times, at least, in the UK.

I must thank you most kindly for the really informative, enlightening and interesting posting – highly appreciated by me.  I hope the Society will post this clip somewhere on its front page under a heading, something like, History of the Society, or, How the Society was born.

I have long wondered about how the Society came about into fruition.  Your posting has sated my thirsty and curious quest, thanks be.

I’ve watched the clip, some 35 minutes, twice and really enjoyed it.  The commentator has done a wonderfuly job in narration.  A nice voice and interesting to listen to.  How our President, Gavin Pretor-Pinney, took on the World Met organisation and all the obstacles and bureaucracy to get Asperitus cloud fully recognised, well, his efforts must be akin to pushing up a huge boulder up a steep mountain!

I joined the Society as member 29440 on 13 April 2012 and it is wonderful to see the membership globally has reached 54,100 members.  This is great – and a veritable tribute to Gavin!

Thanks, again, Keelin, and all best wishes.

You have a lovely play of words, must say.  A pleasure to read!

Laurence

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Dear Gregory and Laurence, so delighted to hear you enjoyed the podcast. I found the ending particularly moving as writer Jon Mooallem describes his emotional response during the celebration  and in later reflections as an “inexplicable rush of empathy… and awe” for people he’d met at the event (and beyond). Honestly, every time I listen to that part, I feel the “rain” begin anew.

PS: And thank you for your kind compliment, Laurence!

Lisa Rigge avatarLisa Rigge
      Participant

Hi Keelen,

Thank-you for the referral to this podcast. I loved it, and like you was deeply moved by that “inexplicable rush of empathy and awe” for the people at the conference. I walked in the park on a cloudy day as I listened to it:)

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Thank you for sharing this Keelin. It is an amazing story and moving too. Your words about it can’t be matched.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.