“Our” Moon and the Clouds – colours

“Our” Moon and the Clouds – colours

Forums The Cloud Forum “Our” Moon and the Clouds – colours

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

No doubt, you may have looked upwards to view “our” Moon and wondered about its ever changing colours.

Well, here is a truly remarkable collection of photos taken over a period of 10, yes, 10! years by a photographer, Marcella Giulia Pace, and the magnificent work is portrayed on the wonderful NASA APOD website of 11 November, 2020.

Here is the full images – behold! :-

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap201111.html

Our clouds very often affect the way see and percept the Moon and its wonderous colours.

Laurence

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

To see that the colors of the moon can be that different depending on the circumstances is really amazing Laurence.

Thanks for sharing this one, as ever.

Hans

Participant

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your  always welcome reply.  I am glad you found my posting of interest.

When I viewed the images of the Moon it brought back a fond memory two or three years ago when the Moon was closest to the Earth, termed as “Perigee”, as opposed to “Apogee”, when it is farthest from Earth.

I warmly recall viewing the Moon from my small back garden and it being upon the horizon at 06.00 hrs GMT  looking SO big and handsome bathed in early morning Sun giving the Moon a beautiful dress of  pale wondrous golden hue.

The Moon, being so close to the westward horizon, made the its size even bigger.  It was a sight to behold, the clouds bequeathed majesty upon the Moon.  I was somewhat transfixed.  A sight I will never forget.

The nice big hearty mug of tea I was enjoying made the spectacle all the more enjoyable just before the clouds, as ever, moved in and closed the curtains, so to speak, upon the visual splendour.

Best wishes and hoping you are keeping well during these dreadful Covid virus time –  this also applies to all CAS members and beyond.

Laurence

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

So amazing, Laurence! Thank you for posting the link along with your reflections of observing the moon in that “wondrous golden hue”. No doubt, such an experience as you’ve described, ‘twould have me howling in delight.

Participant

Thank you, Keelin, for your lovely comment – much appreciated.

Yes, I am a Moon lover and always try to take time to observe it and gaze in awe in its ever changing splendour.

Interestingly enough, the BBC broadcast a fascinating programme a wee while aback called, “Why Do We Need The Moon?.  It was quite well researched and, yes, startling in detail that if  the Moon were not about it would spell truly grave consequences to life here on our planet.  That “Man in the Moon” certainly does a grand job looking after us mortals.  The Moon also has great influence on our clouds.

Best wishes.

Laurence

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

So true, Laurence. We would be wholly lost without the influence of our dear moon, not to mention its guiding light through darkest night. As for its sway upon the clouds we hold nearer, it is often said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Here we see some proof…

IMG_8016_Moon Cloud

Moon Cloud

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.