Optical Phenomena Volume VI

Optical Phenomena Volume VI

Forums The Cloud Forum Optical Phenomena Volume VI

Viewing 100 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Volume V ended with a link to the website of Ariel with some beautiful halos and a last rainbow by Duncan. Just check them befor diving into the next Volume.

A fresh start with a split up sundog peeping through the clouds.

2022-11 Wolken (14)-1

Sundog

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Ariel, I agree with Hans near the wrap up of Volume V. What a beautiful collection you’ve gathered! Duncan, that was a double dose of fun to end with.

And Hans, what a fabulous start to Volume VI! That peep is more than promising.

IMG_3539_Autumn HaloAutumn Halo

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

Keelin, that is a keeper.  Only thing missing is a yard chair.  Hans, wonderful sundogs and other fun features.

A Missile (friendlyP1044396 (2))

Participant

Ruth, I think this girl with a long ponytail hitched a ride on your friendly missile…

IMG_3630_Free Ride

Free Ride!

Participant

Hans, looking at your sundog again.  Just a wonder picture for dreaming.

Keelin, yup, just have your gal hop on broad that friendly missile.

December’s Full MoonP1045021 (2)

Participant

Moon In The TreesP1100764 (2)

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Love the moon shots. Sometimes those optical effects are the coolest of all. I especially love watching them on a warm spring night and following the cloud as they drift across the sky.

Here is a rainbow, from an absolutely stunning sunset. I may have done this during a shift at work. Luckily the boss didn’t see!

IMG_20220610_195310640-min

Drama

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Another interesting shot. I think I may post this on the identification help as well. I believe it is a cloud bow, but not in the way that you usually see.

Hope you enjoy this one!

IMG_20220922_084740559_2

White Streak

Participant

You have my reaction on the identification help , Gregory.

You have to look well, but it is there…

2022-09 France (174)-1

Lowbow

Participant

Hans, way cool photo with the variety of colors.

Back Out At NightP1055094 (2)

Participant

Thanks Ruth. That’s a surprising corona in your Back Out At Night.

2022-09 France (118)-1

Walking The Sundog

Participant

Ruth, I love the way you capture the mood and the mystery in your elegant moon shots.

Gregory, glad you are looking out the window there! ;)

Hans, what a dramatic scene with that grand sky and the subtle coloring in your Lowbow. And I hope your sundog doesn’t slip while romping across a frozen pond.

IMG_3696_Canine in a Cavum

Canine in a Cavum

Participant

Hans and Keelin, all I can say is ” winner winner chicken dinner”.  Both of your entrees are to die for.  Hans’s walking a sundog and Keelin with rainbows peeking through a fall streak.   So spectacular!!

P1022188 (2)

Moon Burn

Participant

Thanks for your kind comments, Ruth. Your Moon burn is lovely, serene, humorous and charming ~~ and a favorite for sure. ’Twould be a fantastic start for a bedtime story.

IMG_3601_BW_Sun Splash

Sun Splash

Participant

Oops! The photo above was supposed to go to B&W topic (my mistake).

Below is the intended one with an iridescent puppy chasing a sun ball. Hope he’s watching  out for Fall Streak holes!IMG_3629_Fetch!

Fetch!

Participant

Keelin, dogs love colorful balls and treats.  The artic weather has finally left our state.  Turning into an old-fashioned winter in MT this year.

Spumoni

P1110086 (2)

Participant

Keelin, what a great Canine in a Cavum. Very clever title also. Quite a rare occasion to spot a sundog in the streaks of a fallstreak hole. I also love Sun Splash being a stray guest in this thread. 😊 Fetch shows a different stray fellow chasing a fiery ball. Very funny.

Love your Moon Burn Ruth. Great composition and play with light. And there is a tasty Spumoni to finish with.

2022-08 Wolken (21)-1

So sad, twindogs will never be able to play together….

Participant

Hans, you caught a sundog.  I love those guys.

Back To MoonsP1000554 (2)

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Some fun I had with iridescense

may2421b3752Iri

Participant

Another one

B21

Participant

I love the vision of each of you standing there with eyes aloft taking in the subtly sensuous iridescence you’ve all shared. I think the sky is eyeing you as well.

IMG_0126_So Nice to See You!So Nice to See You!

Participant

Michael, great iridescience.  Nice catch on the subtle shades.

Keelin, I could frame your ” nice to see you”.  Great photo.

Caught A Line

P1040821 (2)

Participant

Thanks Keelin and Ruth. The iridescence shots are a good example of not seeing the picture until i started processing the shot.

Thats right off the dollar bill Keelin and a nice line you caught there Ruth

Here is a shot of a segment of a parahelic circle..the blue dot point.

april1921b3446ParaHe

Participant

Here is another segment from the same event. It never manifested  360 degree circle , just segments as the cloud passed overhead.

april1921b3437ParaHe

Participant

Ah, thank you, Ruth! And you have nice catch there with the lighted cloud adding a bright accent.

Michael, how exciting to spot a parahelic circle! I think I’ve only seen one once here. Is it a common site in your area?

IMG_3975_Cloud Stick Fetched by a Sun Dog

Cloud Stick Fetched by a Sun Dog

Robert Pearson avatarRobert Pearson
      Participant

I don’t know if this is the right place for this photo, but it’s a night sky in WA with a small lenticular cloud above Mt Rainier, probably lit by the Seattle/Tacoma area lights.

0W0A2474 (3a)

Participant

Wow all great pictures above! A parhelic, iridescence, a rainbow, a sundog and then this night sky by Robert. Welcome here. Your small lenticular cloud really looks to come from outer space. I love it. The sky is eyeing us according to Keelin, but do others eye us too?

2021-09 Charigny (179)-1
      A Sundog’s Tail

Ariel Kotker avatarAriel Kotker
      Participant

3461A381-C1B8-4593-BF4A-4977381F0123E326477F-6670-4B1A-8DF5-F5BB9BD8ADADF2EFDCE9-6453-487E-BEF4-2AFBA1692D865186CE1C-EE35-4836-A4AE-00CC020B50EEwow, everyone, thrilling stuff! i love being a cloud nerd

here, we’ve had four CZAs in seven weeks. the sky is smiling at all your cleverly named spottings :)

Participant

So many nice pictures with a rainbow of colors.  Must be many ice crystals out there.  Some bold and some faint.

Tagging Along

P1110147 (2)

Participant

ruth, i love those luminous lingering lenticular-like lobes!

EC7CF664-5AE0-42D2-A2A8-6228E4D58A39rainbow rockettes

Participant

Arielko,  you truly have me laughing with your rockettes dancing in the sky.  Wonderful halos too.

The Glow Of A MoonP1020087 (2)

Participant

I am uncertain about this capture.  I will take a stab at a partial 22 degree halo.  Any thoughts from my cloud spotter buddies?

Half A SliceP1055403 (2)

Participant

ruth, your moonglow mesmerizes.

i’d guess this was the top of a circumscribed halo/upper tangent arc

Participant

Arielko, thanks for your thoughts.  Photo taken the following day at close to the same time.

I Am BackP1055412 (2)

Participant

B2D691EF-5C12-412D-AE82-B2EA12C9597A03C33FAF-B9FF-40FE-9EE2-1269B3FA3F75exciting return of the halo, Ruth. Every halo day is a holiday!

I had an action packed “haloday” on Friday. First a lovely circumscribed and then a vivid CZA

Participant

Robert, your starry night sky is beautiful! A close encounter with the cosmos—and who knows what else?

Hans, did you wag back at that happy looking sundog’s tail?

Ariel, your timing is perfection to be catching the arcs and more. Thrilling, indeed!

And Ruth, I love the wild shape of the moon glow you captured.

Iridescent Do

Iridescent ‘Do

Participant

PS: Hans, do you think your sundog might have chased this squirrel up a tree?

IMG_4185_Iridescent Squirrel

Participant

Yes indeed Keelin, my sundog would have loved to chase your multicolored squirrel. Love it. It is a great Iridescent ‘Do you spotted. My pareidolic me sees a mask of light with a colored hairdress.

Ruth I love your lenticulars with the colored fringes just as the rainbow rockettes have by Ariel.

Ariel, what a great collection of halos you posted. It is especially the circumscribed halo I love most.

I am looking forward to new halo appearances  over here, but I also have my archive to dig for more sundogs.2022-09 France (118)-1
      Archivedog

Participant

hans, looks like you are teaching an old dog new tricks! and I also love the circumscribed. Something about that double line is just so special.

keelin, I would love to sport that hairdo! very fancy.

corona cottonball collection 992840B7-9222-4A72-B031-2C904CFEA0AA

Participant

Your old dog still shines, Hans! And there is buoyant joy in your collection, Ariel.

After the latest rainstorm here, this vision appeared in the gutter, colors dancing…

Cloud Iridescence Reflected in Rainwater

cloud iridescence
      reflecting in rainwater
      tickled by a breeze

Participant

i love that, keelin. it reminds me of the motor oil rainbow puddles i grew up with in nyc.

Participant

Arielko, way nice cotton balls.  Keelin, a big wow in your rainwater.  Nice colors there in Napa. Hans, I love anything that has some dogs.

Coloring BookP1130572 (2)

Participant

Thanks, Ruth. Your Coloring Book has all the pretty pastel shades one might associate with dyed eggs of the season. Yesterday (easter), this looked like something that could hold a few.IMG_4554_Easter Basket_2023

Easter Basket

Participant

Keelin, now that is some damn show you have going on.  Is that a tangent arc and sun pillar?  I am so excited about your photo.  A true gem.

P1130586 (2)

Roof Got In The Way

Participant

Keelin, my apology.  That is a Tiffany Vase.

Participant

Thanks, Ruth! I think you are correct with the identifications (though I’m not clear on the difference between a TA and an Upper TA?). It really was such a surprise. You also have a keen eye for iridescence—as well as for vases. ;)  And I love the softness of your latest capture. It’s almost like those little twigs at the bottom of the image snagged them just for you. And did I read something about your love of dogs? Here are a couple who came out to play recently…

IMG_4191_Playtime for the Pups

Playtime for the Pups

Participant

Keelin, so glad you let the dogs out.  Congrats on the gallery yesterday.  That was a winner in my book.

The Late Night ShowP1000959 (2)

Participant

Spinning TopP1000798 (2)

Participant

velvety mooncatch, ruth. and keelin, a stunning easter vase!7BA0A44E-69A7-4FAB-91F2-B55B601FAC5F

dogs awakening

Participant

That was a marvelous upper tangent arc you spotted, Keelin, together with a sun pillar. The sun is just set and the UTA takes this sharp shape when the sun is that low. Here is a link to a page where you can simulate the height of the sun with the mouse and see what shape the UTA takes:  Simulate shape of UTA

Several great iridescences Ruth and it is a very nice couple of sundogs you spotted Ariel.

2022-01 Wolken (19)-1

Shadows And Rays

Participant

Ah Ruth, your moon shots never fail to leave me howling in joy. And it looks like that Spinning Top has wrung some iridescence out of the clouds.

Ariel, those playful sun dogs keep my eyes shifting back and forth waiting to see which side will catch that great luminescent ball. A splendid catch of iridescence!

Hans, what a dramatic portrait of Shadows and Rays! And thank you so much for the link to the atopics site—very helpful. Having had a look there, I’m thinking the photo below might show a faint portion of Circumscribed Halo?

IMG_4713_Circumscribed Halo

Participant

keelin, those dogs had me doing the same thing.

hans, those shadowy rays have always intrigued me. They almost look brown sometimes and I wonder why?

I certainly see a circumscribed halo there. One of my very favorite optical phenoms!

Participant

Wonderful and interesting formations.  Some are unusual.  Thanks Hans, Keelin, and Arielko.

Basic RainbowIMG_0015

Participant

Ruth, your Rainbow puts me in the mood for a scoop of sorbet. ;)

IMG_4587_Flirty Halo

Flirty Halo

Participant

Keelin, way cool halo.  For some reason April and May the sky exhibits more of these lovely rings to enjoy.

Hiding in the TreesP1055578 (2)

Participant

Thanks, Ruth. Your shy halo looks to be tickled by those trees. Do I hear a giggle?

IMG_4203_Grated Iridescence

Grated Iridescence

Participant

Keelin, that is really a jewel in the sky.  I am off for a few days camping-cloud spotting.

Zipping alongP1033595 (2)

Participant

End Of The Day And End Of The RainbowP1000564 (2)

Participant

Keelin the halo you posted some time ago shows indeed a part of the circumscribed halo. Great one! And I love your Flirty Halo. Unresistable!

Great rainbow Ruth. The colors melt with their surroundings.

2023-05 Wolken (48)-1

Participant

What a double beauty, Ruth, a sky full of delicious sorbet!

Thanks, Hans, and for confirmation on the earlier halo post. You captured the full eye in your latest. Don’t you just love it when there’s a thin veil of clouds included?

On the road ‘tween Colorado and New Mexico last week, the sky appeared to be celebrating Pride month!

IMG_5067_Celebrating Pride Month

Participant

Keelin, your pride photo is a thing of beauty.  Looks like the gallery might grab at one up.

Cool halo Hans.  It is always a great sight.

Not So BoldP1130825 (2)

Participant

Keelin, what a feast to celebrate pride month the way the sky did when you were on your way ‘tween Colorado and New Mexico. When you ask me, this is one for the calendar!

There is delicate iridescence in Not So Bold, Ruth.

Next one is a photo from 2021 and I don’t remember whether I shared it before. I was digging in my archive because I wanted to check when I saw the the last time. Now I hope to spot noctilucent clouds this summer again.

2021-06 Wolken (57)-1

Nocturnal

Participant

Thanks, Ruth and Hans. That CHA was such a surprise on the cloud-filled drive. Good thing I wasn’t at the wheel.

Not So Bold is like a whisper, Ruth—in a heart shape!

And what a delight to see noctilucent clouds, Hans. I hope they will be frequent visitors for you throughout the summer.

Here’s another from the recent Colorado drive, this time through the car window after a bit of rain. Could be a story in this one, but I leave it to you to write the script. ;)

IMG_5083_Open to Interpretation

Open to Interpretation

Participant

No noctilucent yet, since I posted one (above) from 2021. Patience is a valuable thing.

Open to Interpretation is very funny, Keelin. I could not decide whether it is best to leave it open or not, but I just can’t resist to share one interpretation, with the intention to leave it open for more interpretations. I see someone desperately looking for his glasses to find out what we all see.

Here is just a little experiment with iridescence from the archives.

2018-04-21 Charigny_0284 uitsnede s6h12 sat1x klein

A Dressed Up Ghost?

Participant

Keelin, I think I see a rainbow smile and a rabbit fleeing the scene.

Hans, brilliant ghost.  Looking forward to your noctilucent spotting.

Splash of ColorP1130910 (2)

Participant

Hans, you had me laughing with your clever response and hilarious interpretation. And I think you nailed it—which makes me wonder: Could that fellow’s glasses be atop his very own noggin? I’ve been there, done that on occasion. Or were they borrowed by the clownish ghost with the big nose and the smile Ruth spotted hovering above? And might that even be the same ghost you caught dressed up in iridescent disguise? A beauty of an outfit!

Speaking of seeing things, Ruth, you have a keen eye to have caught that sweet Splash of Color. It’s always a thrill, isn’t it, no matter the size.

IMG_5142_Underlined

Underlined

Participant

Nice capture Keelin!

Halo Dancer

jan0122b6058HaloDancer

Participant

IMG_2418

heck of a hazy halo

Participant

Been years since I have seen a rainbow.P1066600 (2)

Participant

Thanks, Michael. I must say Halo Dancer is wonderfully mysterious. Has she risen from the sea? The image is captivating.

Ariel, I love those hazy days and the subtle halos we’ve learned to spot!

Ah, Ruth, you caught that one! And surely there are more to come with the approaching season.

Those with an eye for pareidolia might find Aeolus in profile below, on the left blowing out a curl of cloud.

IMG_5406_Aeolus

Aeolus at Work — or is it Play?

Participant

Keelin, you were very lucky with your 22 degrees halo and circumhorizontal arc as Underline. A Cloud Dancer by Michael is having a party on it I suppose. More beauties by Ariel and Ruth and at last Aeolus at Play (my guess).

2023-09 Charigny (3)-1

Stay Tuned!

Participant

IMG_2968IMG_2977

Ruth, I’m so glad you spotted a rainbow after a bow-less spell. Keelin, don’t you love how a halo can make any day a special day? Even the faintest one. Hans, I love the frequency of those colors!

was treated to a lovely UTA & a hint of the circle the other morning

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Ariel Kotker avatararielko.
      Participant

CZA-zzzing!IMG_3584

Inactive

CRIM0011

Violet sunset. Light scattering caused by Saharan dust in the upper atmosphere

Participant

Fabulous color, Tony, and it looks like you caught it at the perfect moment.

Ariel, what a keen eye you have—and great luck in catching that delicate, zinging CZA.

Love the soft glow in Stay Tuned, Hans—and the very funny and appropriate title. ;)

IMG_5413_Bubbling Brew

Bubbling Brew

Participant

thank you, Keelin, and I’ll take some of that bubbling brew, please.

every day is a better day with a halo displayIMG_3901

Inactive

That’s a beauty Arielko, and thanks Keelin – iridescence the subject here – but it looks for all the world like a nacreous cloud which it can’t be in southern Britain. Or can it???DSCN2094small

Inactive

Deleted accidental duplicate entry but can’t post blank reply. Hmm.

Participant

Ariel, you spotted a beautiful combination of halos. Keelin your iridescence at the edge of  a developing cumulus is fantastic.
      And Tony, I don’t think you spotted nacreous. It is simply not the right season to spot nacreous. We are in between the summer where nocticlucent clouds can occur and the winter when nacreous is possible to show up on the Northern hemisphere. Nacreous is only visible in the winter between sunset or sunrise and one or two hours after sunset / before sunrise. Here is some more info about Nacreous clouds including a link to a page with a comparison between iridescence and nacreous clouds. You can read it is possible to spot it (although rarely in the South of England too. I hope you like it.

Some more iridescence in close-up from the archive.

2021-04 Wolken (56)-1

Inactive

Thanks very much Hans, that’s very useful information and fantastic photos. So yes my cloud is definitely tropospheric.  I guess I expect iridescence to follow rainbow patterns but it doesn’t always as your image shows. That’s amazing texture. I managed to catch this amusing coincidence the other day – the cloud was a contrail at one point. DSCN2708

Participant

Hans, a stunning iridescence.  Very outer space.

Tony, just a touch of color at the tail.

Waiting For A Full MoonP1100581 (2)

Participant

Tony, don’t you love it when things line up just right? Hans, that iridescence is just sublime. Ruth what a peaceful colorific lunar moment you’ve captured.

IMG_4962

Pastel Pod

Participant

Arielko, looking like a blaze of fire.  Very nice photo.

A cold night last night at about 20 degrees, but I caught a

Hunter’s Full MoonP1077265 (2)

Participant

Ariel, you have a fine eye for capturing these fleeting moments of iridescent color. And you too, Tony, catching a sundog in a contrail!

Ruth, your moon shots always beckon me to step outside the next time it’s dark.

And oh, Hans, what a ghostly beauty from your archive.

IMG_5705_Halo Fans

Halo Fans

Participant

So much fun above! A great sundog in the tail of a contrail, Tony. Ariel’s Pastel Pod might be a neon lighted tropical fish. Ruth you hunted with success for a full moon with corona. Keelin, aren’t we all halo fans? A great composition.

2023-10 Charigny (1)-1
      Another Sundog

Participant

ruth, here’s to keep your hunter’s moon company! thank you keelin, a lovely fanned halo. and hans, nice dog… perhaps to chase the neon fish… IMG_5118IMG_5116

Participant

Thanks, Hans and Ariel. And wow what a beautiful dog you found, Hans. Maybe that’s the tail wagging in joy at finding you! And Ariel, I love your auroral moon shots, especially the one with the tree adding a painterly touch to the star-dappled scene.

I don’t know what the sun thought it was up to…

IMG_5816_I Know You’re There

I Know You’re There

Participant

Wow, where to start.  Keelin, first off, I loved your gallery photo last week.  It never gets old seeing your own photo on the big display!

Arielko, beautiful corona you spotted.  Tons of color in that one.

Hans, a delicate sundog up there.  While I am at it, great sunset on the gallery today.  Fabulous multiple colors in those layers.

Dish Of SpumoniP1030112

Participant

Thanks Ruth. It must be the larger version of ‘I Know You’re There’ by Keelin on the gallery. It is a pity it does not have it’s funny title there. Love it. As your tasty Spumoni, Ruth.

Do you know sundogs also come in breeds?

2023-10 Charigny (10)-1

Dachshund

Participant

Hans, love your Dachshund.  I am a sucker for any dog.

Waiting On The Full One Next WeekP1077291

Participant

Two days before November’s full moon (I will get there yet) P1077331 (2)

Participant

Hans, I love a dachshund! And Ruth, that moon is made of velvet. Keelin, the sun tried to hide but its fan stuck out from behind the folding screen!

I suppose I should put this under cloud ID help, but have I seen a Parry arc here?IMG_6300IMG_6301

Participant

Arielko you must have had a great day spotting this halo display. Love it. Yes, a sunvex Parry arc is there for sure. On your last image there is also a CZA and a UTA, but I am sure you already noticed. Maybe also a very faint supralateral arc?

For some reason halo displays seem to be rarer over here. I have to send a ….

2023-10 Charigny (7)-1

Halo Sniffer Dog

Participant

Hans, you made me laugh with your halo sniffer dog! I hope its nose is hard at work, digging up a halo for you.

here is the same display. It seems to show the supralateral arc. How can we tell the difference between that and a 46° halo?  because it’s not perfectly round?IMG_6306

Participant

Thanks Ariel. Great halo display and yes a supralateral is not perfectly round. The 46 degrees halo is more rare, so usually it is a supraletral halo that you can see touching the CZA and that is also a difference between the two. The 46 degrees halo is a bit lower and clearly separated from the CZA in case the halos are visible enough. In you photo thuis is hard to see since the halos are a bit faint. Here is a link with the differences between the two halos: http://A 46 degrees halo or a supralateral halo

Participant

Hans, I couldn’t open your link but your description worked wonders (and I looked on atoptics). I understand better now. thanks!

I wish I could send a halo display your way… we do seem to have our fair share here in the Northeast US.

Participant

Arielko, nice spotting up there.  An exciting one to see.

Hans, beauty of a halo sniffer.

Stuck On MoonsP1077525 (2)

Participant

A Past LifeP1055583 (2)

Participant

Ariel, you are an optical phenomenon whisperer!

Hans, how lucky to have the dogs on your side for sniffing out those rare events. What kind of treats do you feed them?

Ruth, your latest (Past Life) is a phantamagoric delight that makes me grin with glee.

And speaking of a past life…

IMG_6078_Who Put Bleach In the Wash?!

Who Put Bleach In the Wash?!

Participant

Ruth, your moon and halo are so moody in a good way. Keelin, bleach in the wash made me laugh out loud!

Indeed there was another CZA today, but so fleeting I just watched it fade in and out.

But this! I have never seen a corona or iridescence accompanied by sun dogs or a halo, much less a CZA. but today we had the whole kit and caboodle.

here is the iridescence with one sun dog to the left. have you witnessed both together? Do you have pics?IMG_6744IMG_6745

Participant

Ruth, your moon and halo are so moody in a good way. Keelin, bleach in the wash made me laugh out loud!

Indeed there was another CZA today, but so fleeting I just watched it fade in and out.

But this! I have never seen a corona or iridescence accompanied by sun dogs or a halo, much less a CZA. but today we had the whole kit and caboodle.

here is the iridescence with one sun dog to the left. have you witnessed both together? Do you have pics?

edit …actually I have witnessed both but it’s been  a long time and I had forgotten. But still would love to see photos if you have them!

IMG_6744IMG_6745

Viewing 100 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.