Optical Phenomena Volume IV

Optical Phenomena Volume IV

Forums The Cloud Forum Optical Phenomena Volume IV

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

In the thread for Sunsets And Sunrises Volume IV Keelin posted a sunpillar with a upper tangent arc above. It would have been an excellent one to start a new volume of optical phenomena I think. No start of a new volume without mentioning it here. So just check that one in Sunset And Sunrises Volume IV.

And then check also the finish of Optical Phenomena Volume III with this rare and beautiful FataMorgana by George and the full parhelic circle by Gregory.

I envy you three for what you spotted while I still wait over here for more than sundogs although they can be spectacular also. So to make a start of Volume IV it will be a sundog.

2019-12 Wolken (8)-2

A SunRobin

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Hans, you are so thoughtfully kind to mention recent posts by others as you introduce Volume IV of Optical Phenomena. Your sundog SunRobin is a frisky delight—a shimmering bit of sky mischief you’ve brought us! Can’t wait to see what follows.

Participant

A beautiful launch to Optical Phenomenon IV, Hans! And speaking of sundogs, did you send this one to fetch my attention? So bright, it was quite stunning. In the first image below, I’ve adjusted the contest to show the halo…

IMG_6096_Halo & Sundog_with contrast

Below is the same image cropped with no contrast tweak to show how truly brilliant that puppy was.

IMG_6096_Halo & Sundog_only cropped

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Hello Everyone,

I am going to be posting two different occasions. The first is part of the Parhelic circle family. It was taken on the same day as the others and I think it’s one of my favorites. And let me express that I absolutely love this community, hope you all have a great day.

Best wishes,

Gregory V.

Bowdownload_20190402_153437

Participant

Hello Everyone,

Here’s the second collection of pictures from June of 2018 or 2019. It’s nothing really special in its own right, just a portion of a 22° halo. I think this one has something extra because of the wonderful contrast of the Cirrus and the lower Altocumulus. I remember getting out of my car thinking, “that is amazing!” I did brighten the first image a tiny bit, but otherwise no really big edits. Anyways I really hope you enjoy!!!

Best wishes,

Gregory V.

Contrast

DSC_0018DSC_0011DSC_0008

Participant

I love to think I would be able to send you such a bright sundog, Keelin, but unfortunately I am not. Maybe it is better this way but you spotted a very bright sundog indeed.

And a parhelic plus 22 degrees halos by Greg. In particular the parhelic is intriguing. Might that be a 120 degrees parhelion in the middle of the arc? What do you thing Greg?

Meanwhile I am still waiting for new optical phenomena over here. So I had to dive in my archive and found this one I did not use earlier (except from other versions of the occasion). It is my “Contrail Splitter” (you can see why I choose this name). What makes it a candidate for his thread is the white band in the top of the feathers of the splitter. It is a small and clear segment of the parhelic circle.

2018-07 Wolken_0092-2

Participant

Thank you Hans for your reply. I believe that it is! Wow, I didn’t quite know what that was. I knew it must be something special, as it goes along with the rare circle. I do also believe that you have caught part of the parhelic circle. Congratulations!

Here I have a sundog(a relatively bright one at that) shining in the evening sky. I really hope you enjoy my little dog.

Best Wishes,

Gregory V.

The dog I wish I had

DSC_8925 (wecompress.com)

Participant

Very nice Greg.
      Next one was spotted in between some showers when the clouded sky just opened up enough.

2019-02-04 IMG_3294 asr

Participant

Wonderful arcs of brilliant light and color, Gregory and Hans! Last Sunday, we had a spectacular sky here. A dry cold front had moved in and the sun king donned his corona in regal fashion.

IMG_2402_Sun King Corona

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.