Optical Phenomena Volume IV

Optical Phenomena Volume IV

Forums The Cloud Forum Optical Phenomena Volume IV

Viewing 94 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Volume IV mustn’t begin without a nod to a most amazing finalĀ imageĀ via the link posted to Volume III. Thank you for a phenomenal wrap up, George! That and others in the series are worth viewing again and again.

Below, not nearly as extraordinary, but (to my eye) possessing a quiet beauty all its own, is a more common 22Ėš halo. It appeared in the late afternoon sky today, casting rays and shadows as it rested on a contrail.

IMG_6034_Halo On Contrail

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

That is a great halo to start Volume IV with Keelin! The image gives the feeling of an arctic and fairy-like snowscape. Love it.

2019-10 Wolken (37)-2

Mermaid Or Sundog?

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Irresistible Iridescence

oct2316b7985Iri

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

How wonderful everyone! Keelin your subtle, yet beautiful halo is a treat for the eyes. Especially with the contrail floating quietly by. And Hans your beautiful sun mermaid is a beautiful sight to see in the sky. And finally Michael, that is one amazing iridescent cloud. How did you happen to get such a picture? Below is an image that almost is a pair with Hans along with its little child.

Father and Daughter

DSC_6937DSC_6944DSC_6939

Participant

Haha, itā€™s a family affair so it seems Gregory. And great colors on your iridescence Michael.

Here is a link to one of my favorite sites about optical phenomena Ā with a recent unique observation. For those who remember him, also the Crow pops up in the comments on the phenomenon.

Kern arc

Participant

Gregory..I generallyĀ  underexpose iridescenceĀ  shots 1 to 2 F stops, even with camera set on “spot” metering. The sun washes out color when iridescence is close to the sun. During processing I bring the colors to brightness and saturation IĀ  like.Ā  There seems only a moment when the lite bluesĀ  pop out. My timing was successful with this shot.

Participant

2017-08-11 Zonsondergang_0038 ar klein
      Some Iridescent Swirl

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker.
      Participant

Looks absolutely wonderful Hans, what a great capture!

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Michael – do you use a polarizer at all? If so, any difference in outcomes, either pre- or post processing?

-Don

Participant

Don..No I don’t use a polarizing filter. I prefer to use programing presets in the camera software for all my cloud shots. With todays post processing software, Adobe Lightroom is what I use,Ā  filters just don’t seem a needed investment. There still is the idea that ..if an accident happens, a broken filter is cheaper than a busted lens. Just remember you areĀ  putting another piece of glass between the subject and the recording material…Polarizing filters run into trouble with the wide angle shots due to nature of what and how extraneous light is being filtered out..Dark band can happen beyond the 90 degree axis from the sun. Any way, I have one but I don’t use it.

Shooting iridescence is a challenge. Focus can be difficult. The near proximity to the sun makes lens flares likely. and again,getting the right exposureĀ  a gamble. I shoot 1 to 2 F stops under and take multipleĀ  shots each with a different exposure. I have learned an approximation on how near to the sunĀ  to make how much of an ” adjustment” in exposure to get good color.

One trick I learned with a pocket camera..is point the camera at the sun or very near to it to get the camera to expose as if its very brite,,then shoot the iridescence..Its like underexsposing.

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Michael – I notice that iridescence is easier to spot with the naked eye when I have sunglasses on; that would seem to correspond to your ‘underexposing’ tips.

I’ve used a polarizing filter when shooting cirrus clouds, trying to increase the contrast between the white of the cloud and the blueness/darkness of the sky – an effort to show their ‘wispiness’. That seems to work pretty well most of the time (but I’m not shooting close to the sun either). I look at the sky through the (circular) polarizing filter, twist it see what the different positions will hopefully produce before adding it to the lens (usually between 20mm-35mm focal length).

I’m still experimenting ; your tips are very helpful. THANKS!!

Participant

Lunar Halo over Phoenix Az 3/6/20

ASA 800..4 sec at f5.6.Ā  Tripod

Variable Wide Angle lens @ 20mm

Post Processing (Adobe Lightroom)Ā  crop and color adjustment, removing yellow to red color shift from city lights reflecting off of clouds. Also increase in contrast and clarity with increase in whites and highlights.

mar0620B8454Halo

Participant

Well captured Michael. A tripod is needed indeed. This halo at night gives a mysterious feel.

Here a bit of color in contrast.

2019-05 Wolken_0031-2

In Daylight

Participant

Wow! Gorgeous images above, Hans, Michael, and Gregory.

While Iā€™m used to looking up, the occasion below was a good reminder to look up even further. There was more to be seen here, but a faint sundog (cropped from this image) required too much post-productionĀ tweaking to be included here.

IMG_8362_Optical DelightsOptical Delights

Participant

That is a great capture of Optic Delights Keelin. A rare and amazing sight. You must have had a good day for sure.

Since here the circumstances aren’t favorable for halos at this time I had to look down in my archives.

Iridescence from France last year.

2019-09 Charigny (45)-2

Participant

Danke je, Hans! A good day indeed, as you must have had when capturing that beautiful iridescence above! Like some fantastic bird straight from dreamland!

Below, another halo from earlier this month.

IMG_0540_Halo

Daniel Mitchell avatarDaniel Mitchell
      Participant

This is such a great little community! Until I saw this thread a couple of days ago, I had not been paying attention to Light Effects (except rainbows and the occasional Sun Pillar)— and then when I was out and about on a Skyjourn yesterday, something really cool showed up— my first experience with iridescence— thank you all!Ā 2020-03-25 Skyjourn by Daniel Mitchell - Webres - nonwatermarked-1008

The First Iridescence is Always Free…

Participant

I saw another version of your Optical Delights on the gallery Keelin. Very nice. A delight for sure.

Daniel, a sun pillar is rather rare for me. It is a nice one. I am sure you will spot more optical phenomena when you look after them when the conditions are there.Ā  I like your free iridescence.

One almost can’t tell from the picture but next one is a true sundog . The reds are already shifted to the right (or rather the cloud already shifted to the left) leaving only a hint of blues and the bright whites.

2019-12 Wolken (12)-2

Birds Of A Feather Just A Bit Later

Participant

Yesterday evening I watched the rising of the supermoon and when I turned around to watch the sunset I was happy to see this (faint) sun pillar. Only the second time I spotted one, so I had a happy evening illuminated by a full moon in a clear sky except for some thin patches of cirrostratus.

2020-04 Wolken (40)-1

Participant

2020-02 Wolken (29)-2
      A CZA clearly taken just before the lockdown.

Participant

A beautiful serving of ā€˜freeā€™ iridescence, Daniel! And Hans, I love the almost B&W look and composition of your sundog. The sun pillar is a lovely image of serenity, and what a thrill to catch that CZA! Again, the composition makes it art with that double chalkline trail.

A couple of days ago, just a wee bit of iridescence below a soft coronal glow.

IMG_4376_Coronal Glow and iridescence

Participant

I love the view of that bit of iridescence Keelin. The scenery seems to be a view over the edge of the atmosphere.

2020-05 Wolken (249)-1

A Nebula Beyond?

Participant

Love your Nebula Beyond, Hans! It has the magical magnetic appeal of a giant bubble blown by a gleeful child.

Weā€™re stuck with a few blue sky days here, but just last week, there was this afternoon treatā€¦IMG_8912_Afternoon Iridescence

I had to take a closer lookā€¦IMG_6244_Afternoon Iridescence_a closer look

Participant

Weā€™re back to blue skies again here, but not before this treat from just two days agoā€¦

IMG_7249_Late Afternoon IridescenceA Wee Bit OfĀ Late Afternoon Iridescence

Participant

The colors and brilliance are sometimes so difficult to catch well of iridescnece but your former three are perfect captures and compositions of iridescence Keelin.

I have to dig in an older series….

2019-10 Wolken (2)-2

The Tail Of A Dog

Participant

This gentle sundog caught my eye at sunset lately in France.

2020-06 Charigny (57)-1

2020-06 Charigny (64)-1

Two Versions

Participant

Thank you for kind words, Hans. And if that is just the Tale Of The Dog, I can only imagine what the rest of that puppy might have looked like. What a wonder! And I cannot choose a favorite from your duo above, each one having its own special appeal. Magic moments there.

In the photo below, Iā€™d never seen a color display quite like this beforeā€”an almost Saturn-like ring with a faint echo of it below. Have you an idea what might have caused this display?

IMG_5027_Saturn-like Sun

Participant

Keelin, I see clearly left under the sun the bright colors you mention but also colors that surround the sun. This seems to me to be iridescence. It often shows rather close to the sun. A ring around the sun is the corona which is basically the same effect as iridescence. The corona might have been better visible with the naked eye (always be careful to protect your eyes looking in the direction of the sun!) but is difficult to capture with too much back-light from the sun and thus might be much less visible on the picture being drowned in the whites of the sun. This is what atoptics says about it:

Iridescence

Does that makes sense?

Participant

Ah, yes, that makes sense, thank you, Hans. And agreed, ā€™tis best to be over-cautious with these dazzling displays. Once noticed, I try to aim the camera without looking directly at the area again, and just crop the photo later. A bit of a hit-or-miss approach, but better than risking the eye that still sees fairly well!

IMG_6129_halo details

Participant

Ah, I see a lower segment of the 22 degrees halo. Is that right Keelin? Nice colors.

Now is the season for noctilucent but I haven’t seen it over here yet. I saw Neowise but one must b e very lucky to spot the comet together with noctilucent. The archive helps.

2019-06 Wolken_0055 (Large)

2019 above Haarlem

Participant

Yes, indeed, there was a halo there, Hans. Always a joy to see ā€” as was your lovely one spotted above Charigny, France, featured as Cloud of the Day! Congratulations! And love your noctilucent clouds above. Iā€™ve yet to spot them here, but am on the lookout and hoping to catch the comet as well.

IMG_1200_Iridescence

Beautiful topic and photos shared here. New to the group so am just exploring some of the threads. I wanted to share an image I took. It was a fascinating display I photographed from the roof of my shop.DSC_9358-Edit-2

Participant

Great captures everyone! I’ve been more appreciative of what clouds can do with colors as I have a job that constantly puts me outside. I looked up the other day and saw some of the purest colors I have ever seen. I finally captured a circumhorizontal arc! This picture is from my camera and so it isn’t the greatest quality but it’s still breathtaking to look at.

Enjoy!

IMG_20200713_130953102

Participant

Quite a catch Sheryl from your roof. I hope to see more of that from you.

And Gregory as well with a brightly colored CHA. I check the sky every day for a CHA since it are just a bit more than two months over here that the sun is high enough to enable it to appear, but unfortunately I have not caught one yet.

You spotted some great iridescence Keelin. Thank you about the recent CAD with my 22 degrees halo. I was truly surprised to see it this way in a CAD because the moment I spotted that one I spotted only the altostratus. Although usually maybe a rather boring cloud it has its own beauty when the sunlight shines through. Only afterwards I saw the 22 degrees halo on it and it made me doubt the altostratus because a halo in altostratus is a bit of an exception. No doubts anymore now.

Btw: I hope you have seen the comet Neowise, Keelin? It is amazing to be able to see it with the naked eye. I had several occasions for it to see but I did not succeed to make a good picture.

2020-06 Charigny (47)-1

A sundog that tries to hide. There is no need for that, isn’t it?

Participant

2020-07 Charigny (109)-1

Half A Halo

Participant

Finally, a chance to catch up with this colorful topic…

Sheryl, that extraordinary display must have had you dancing on the roof of your shop! Hope you have many more such sightings and join us here often.

Gregory, congratulations on capturing that long, beautiful CHA!

And Hans, what a bloominā€™ beauty over Bloemendaal you shared with everyone via the CAS Gallery this morning! Your Half A Halo above is another one, albeit with subtle coloring, and I love the contrast in the photo above that one with your shy sundog.

Here is one I found hiding in the archives, the sun caught in a spiderweb of cloud.

IMG_5114_Spiderweb

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

circumscribed_haloHi everybody, long time no visit here and I see some new people and lots of beautiful things. I recently shot what I thought was a 22 degree halo, but then it struck me that it’s oval, so I did some looking up. Atoptics says it’s a circumscribed halo. Interesting how its shape varies with the height of the sun.

Participant

George, there was too long no response on your fantastic circumscribed halo. Great capture. I have never seen one like that. I hope to see one some time.

Next one seems to be a more frequent visitor in the sky but maybe not always this complete.

2020-10 Wolken (57)-01

Participant

Next one puzzles me a bit. I took this picture in a split second while distracted by my cat who wanted to do dangerous things by climbing out the window I was hanging out. I just thought it was iridescence but later I saw the regular pattern of colors with reds up and blues low. No CZA for sure for it was too low. It still might be iridescence but a small segment of a 22 degrees halo is also possible for it is taken with 400 mm. Wish I had more peace at the moment I spotted this to check the circumstances better. When the cat left the colors were also left.

2020-10 Wolken (258)-1

Participant

Puzzle aside, Hans, your photo is a beauty. The soft, repeated lines evoke a melody, perhaps a lullaby.

It had been quite a while since I’d seen any iridescence here, but just a couple of days ago, there was this small patch of shimmering colorā€¦

IMG_8300_iridescence

Participant

DSC_0766 (wecompress.com)

We have 2 optical phenomena in this photo! See if you can spot them both!

Again wonderful photos everyone! Especially that interesting rainbow Hans and some of that splendid iridescence Keelin.

Participant

DSC_7250 (wecompress.com)

Caught this one yesterday.

Sun pillar or Virga?

Les Cowley avatarLes Cowley
      Participant

A classic returns – 40 odd years ago someone dragged me outside one freezing winter afternoon to look at Ā a halo display. I remember (I’m sure memory has hyped it up) magnificent arcs everywhere, each finely scribed across a milky blue sky. They were my very first ice-halos. Ā I was hooked! Ā But, how to find out their names? How they formed and more about them without the web? Ā A search of bookshops unearthed Robert Greenlerā€™s book ā€œRainbows, Halos, and Gloriesā€ – now a venerated classic by one of the fathers of atmospheric optics. Ā It was pure gold. It got me going on all things optical up there and it’s inspired so many others to look up and search the skies. Itā€™s sadly been unavailable for years but Bob, now a friend and colleague, tells me its back. More about it at – https://spie.org/Publications/Book/2573016?SSO=1

greenler

Participant

A classic returns – 40 odd years ago someone dragged me outside one freezing winter afternoon to look at Ā a halo display. I remember (I’m sure memory has hyped it up) magnificent arcs everywhere, each finely scribed across a milky blue sky. They were my very first ice-halos. Ā I was hooked! Ā But, how to find out their names? How they formed and more about them without the web? Ā A search of bookshops unearthed Robert Greenlerā€™s book ā€œRainbows, Halos, and Gloriesā€ – now a venerated classic by one of the fathers of atmospheric optics. Ā It was pure gold. It got me going on all things optical up there and it’s inspired so many others to look up and search the skies. Itā€™s sadly been unavailable for years but Bob, now a friend and colleague, tells me its back. More about it at – https://spie.org/Publications/Book/2573016?SSO=1

greenler

Participant

Thank you so much for this info, Les! I share your excitement with “all things opticalā€ and look forward to ordering the recommended book ASAP.

By the way, I noticed (via the Color thread this morning) that Hans mentioned heā€™s been wanting to reply to you directly here, but keeps encountering a glitch when attempting to post to this thread. Hopefully, soon fixed!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Patricia L Keelin avatarKeelin.

Thank you Les for the information on the book! Ordered!

Participant

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas! and Happy New Years To All!

nov2220b1023zdp

Participant

Thank you, Michael, and gratitude to everyone for the joy and warm camaraderie we continue to share here. Wishing moments of magical wonderment, light and peace to all!

IMG_4867_Balancing The Sun

Participant

just a message

Participant

Ah yes, welcome back Hans! I take it you can post on this thread again?

Participant

Best wishes to all! May lots of optical phenomena and clouds be on your path.

Anyway great halos Michael and Keelin.

To Les:

Thank you for sharing the information of the reissue of the book by Greenler. I am very interested. It is also great to read how your enthusiasm for halos was started. I love your unsurpassed website!

Participant

2020-11 Wolken (28)-ruisreductie

A segment of a redbow

Participant

2020-09 Ch Wolken (149)-1

Iridescent Tongue

2020-09 Ch Wolken (147)-1

The complete picture

A capture that I’m particularly fond of. I’d searched for a cloud bow for years!DSC_1258-Edit

Participant

A wonderful couple of shots Hans, both the iridescence and rainbow, but what a shot from Sheryl! I’ve always wanted to see a cloud bow. I actually got to cloudwatch as there were some light altocumulus clouds passing in from of the moon.

DSC_0074-min

Just a clipping.

Participant

Hello again everyone! Today I have for you my first decently bright circumzenithal arc! I just happened to be looking up, and what do you know, it was there! A few of these were adjusted for contrast purposes, but the second image is pretty close to what I saw. Oh and there’s a sundog in there as well.DSC_0473-min

DSC_0473 (1)-minDSC_0469-minDSC_0482-min

What a treat Gregory!

Participant

Thank you Sheryl! I was so excited when I spotted it! It is just very unfortunate that the file size has to be so low, as it reduces quality quite a bit.

I didn’t know which topic to put this in, but as I was driving by the airport, I saw this plane taking off and forming some clouds with it’s wings. I don’t know if it’s just an effect of if the wings are really making clouds, but either way, I find it quite beautiful and intriguing!

Capture

Participant

Hi Donatella – The clouds are produced as humid air flows over the upper surface of the wings. Ā The air travels faster there and expands. Ā As it expands it cools making the water vapour in it condense into tiny droplets – clouds. Ā  Sometimes these clouds show bright iridescent colours. Ā More here – https://www.atoptics.co.uk/fz164.htm

Participant

An impressive and great capture Donatella. Thanks for sharing this phenomenon here.

Participant

Beautiful and unusual visual treats above (Redbow, Cloudbow, Moon Iridescence, CZA and Sundog, and wing clouds as well! Wow! Thanks to all for sharing here.

Hans, were those Nacreous clouds in your Iridescent Tongue and The complete picture? They appear to have that pearly look.

Nothing mysterious below, just a nice surprise on an afternoon walk.

IMG_8760_Iridescent Display

Participant

Wowee Keelin, that is something else. Love the iridescent colors, they look so pure! Nothing special, just a 22 degree halo.

DSC_0500

Wheel in the Sky

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

Keelin and Gregory, quite exciting clouds you guys have captured.Ā  What fun to see the iridescent colors.P1070317 (2)A Weak Showing

Participant

I am still impressed by the capture of the plane by Donatella with the clouds on its wings and the explanation by Les Cowley as well.

No, unfortunately is was no nacreous in the Tongue I posted Keelin although it has similarities. Nacreous is very rare to observe over here in the Netherlands. Nevertheless iridescence is equally beautiful and always a surprise on a afternoon walk (a very beautiful one!) also when it is just a Weak Showing (Ruth) and a wheel in the sky is even more surprising (Gregory) not to mention your CZA. Love the third picture of your series above.

2020-08 Wolken (39)-1

Iridescent Burger

Participant

Another Lunar Halo!..shot on the night of 1/27/21jan2721b1770LunarHalo

Participant

P1070428Grandmother Moon

Participant

Thereā€™s a lovely, soft elegance to your Wheel in the Sky, Gregory. And Hans, your Iridescent Burger is delicious! Michael, wow, what a beauty, your Lunar Halo is. And Ruth, Grandmother Moon is simply exquisite.

Below, the sky has done its best to dress up a few bare winter branches.

IMG_8830_Dressing Up A Few Bare Winter Branches

Participant

P1070429Proud Moon

Participant

How I absolutely love all the lunar images as of late(with the exception of Keelin). I hope you all enjoy my addition to the group. It was a lovely skywatching night that night because of the halo.

DSC_0824

Lunarizing

Participant

Gregory, the wonders of a moon.Ā  Great Halo.

Keelin,Ā  your color in the trees is a hint of spring for me.P1070678 (2) Lustrous Morning, Then Started Snowing

Participant

Protect Your EyesP1070684 (2)

Participant

I ran as fast as I could through the woods behind our house to capture this one. Definitely worth getting a little bit muddy.

DSC_1846-min

Arc-en-Ciel

Participant

Gregory,Ā  a good catch on that wonderous rainbow.Ā  I would have run after that too.

One More January Moon

P1070234

Participant

Ponder Where To GoĀ  P1040146 (2)

Participant

2021-04 Wolken (66)-1

Iridescence In Close-up

Participant

Lovely iridescence Hans! It looks like a rainbow got trapped in the little cloud. Here’s another full 22-degree halo. I love spotting these halo phenomena.

DSC_1892-min

Participant

Ruth, One More January Moon is a bright jewel. Hans, your close up Iridescence is ever so delicious.Ā And Gregory, the frosty feel of your halo with the filigree of tree branches in a supporting role is simply exquisite.

IMG_9609_Partial Halo, Full JoyPartial Halo, Full Joy

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

New dune form aurora, and blue aurora

Secrets behind natureā€™s spectacular shows in the sky | Register | The Times

The above is a link but again, it does not copy as a link. The article refers to bit.ly/33eaJ0M which you can copy and Google for the dune form.

bit.ly/3uhKX7D for the AGU Advances magazine article which published the dune form article.

bit.ly/2SqEF7S for the blue aurora

All three bit.ly work for me.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Gavin Pretor-Pinney avatarGavin Pretor-Pinney.
      Participant

Thank you Hygge for sharing this great info. Dunes of aurora. When I google myself with ‘dunes aurora Canada’ I found next link with an explanation of the phenomenon and a little film. It seems to be rare.

You’d be lucky to see these dunes

I am not sure whether this is one of the links you already provided. Somehow they didn’t work for me.

Participant

The format of the last two posts turn out out to be a bit strange. Forgot to say that a Partial Halo indeed is a Full Joy Keelin. Love your recent corona on the gallery as well.

Participant

Thank you, Hygge and Hans, for info and links. Always a thrill to see the waves of color dancingā€”in any direction!

And yes, a bit of odd formatting to the two posts above. Letā€™s see if this one follows the same layout.

IMG_9734_Halo and ShadowsHalo Hoopla

Participant

Halo Hoopla were the magic words to get back the familiar formatting, Keelin. Great 22 degrees halo in a cirrus filled sky. For some reason halos seem to hide for me already for some time. Iridescence on the contrary shows enough.

2021-05 Wolken (91)-1

Colored Airbag

Participant

Keelin, your Halo made it on the Gallery.Ā  A wonderful shot.Ā  Might be one of your signature piece.

Hans, terrific airbag.Ā  Colors are gripping.

Slim PickingsP1040426 (2)

Participant

Shy HaloP1080658 (2)

Participant

Just Trying To Do Some Yard Work, This Shows Up.P1080729 (2)

Participant

Thank you, Hans and Ruth. Oh, I could enjoy some splendid dreams on that Colored Airbag, Hans! And Ruth, your Slim and Shy halos are still cause for celebration. And isnā€™t it a sweet surprise when youā€™ve been looking down at yard work, then look up to find treats like weā€™ve been seeing? Even just a touch of iridescence can make my day.

IMG_9865_Just A TouchJust A Touch

Participant

A Spectrum Of ColorP1080684 (2)

Participant

Beautiful iridescence youā€™ve captured there, Ruth. It makes my toes wiggle when sunlight and clouds play together like that. Also enjoyed seeing your 22Ėš halo on the Gallery. The thrill never gets old!

This Circumhorizon arc was a rare sighting and left me dancing in the street.

IMG_9958_Layered DelightLayered Delight

Participant

Yard work does always pay off Ruth. Surely a great one for the gallery!

I envy your Layered Delight Keelin. What a beauty. I would have liked to see you dancing in the streets.

A few days ago we had some noctilucent clouds while in the seas there was Noctiluca scintillans (an alga that lights up when disturbed). Two nocturnal phenomena together. Very special.

2021-06 Wolken (4)-1

Participant

Hans, I am in awe of your Noctilucent.Ā  What an incredible sight for you in these next few months.Ā  Lucky for us that you share what you see.Ā  Keelin, exciting too for you to catch your Layered Delight.Ā  This CAS is pretty addicting.Ā  Clouds have an endless story to tell.Ā Ā P1080670 (2)

Participant

Noctilucent clouds and the Sea ā€” that’s like icing on the cake, Hans! Hope you are treated to several servings.

I like the colorful story your latest cloud tells, Ruth. I wonder how it ends? Perhaps it is a saga that will go on and on to the delight of all audiences far and wide.

IMG_9782_Front Row SeatsFront Row Seats

Participant

I had to laugh about your Front Row Seats Keelin. It are always the ones with a lot of hair or hats that are in front of you. Since I lack already for a long time the appearance of some some optical phenomena I took a dive in my archive and to my surprise I found your fellows watching another show.

2018-03-18 Wolken_0124-1

They Must Be Big Fans

Participant

And what a beautiful show youā€™ve captured there, Hans! Love that sweep of subtle colors. As for blocked views during performances, sometimes the attendees aren’t quite so tall.

IMG_0062_The Kiddie Matinee

The Kiddie Matinee

Participant

Nice photos Hans and Keelin.Ā  I am finding that I need to go back in archives too.Ā  Very quiet this summer for new adventures in clouds.

Found A Popsicle ( may be a mystery animal too wanting a bite )Ā P1070679 (2)

Participant

I had to laugh seeing your Kiddee Matinee, Keelin. Very funny and beautiful as well. The delicate popsicle by Ruth must have been meant for the kids, but the mystery animal was too greedy.

2020-09 Wolken (21)-1

Looking Into The Sun

Participant

Hans, looking into the sun could be a space station.Ā  Great picture.

Barely ThereP1000272 (2)

Participant

On a warm day, Iā€™ve gone back to view your Popsicle, Ruth. Thanks for the refreshing treat! Wasnā€™t sure it would still be there with that mystery animal about to devour it. And Barely There might be subtle, but still brings a smile. Also want to say WOW! on your double rainbow in the Gallery today ā€” Congratulations! I had a feeling that was yours even before spotting the credit. It has your signature style.

And so glad you enjoyed the kiddie matinee, Hans! If the show was anything like your Looking Into The Sun, Iā€™d stay for another viewing. It is mesmerizing.

Heading back to the archives again for a photo Iā€™d cropped differently and posted to the B&W topic awhile back. Here it is with the color that caught my eye.

IMG_9661_corona & iridescence

Participant

Keelin, I love that you think I have a signature style.Ā  We do have some fun out here.Ā  OK then,

100 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall ( ending I think Volume IV ).P1090491 (2)

Viewing 94 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.