Optical Phenomena Volume III

Optical Phenomena Volume III

Forums The Cloud Forum Optical Phenomena Volume III

Viewing 96 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Optical Phenomena Volume III? Where are Volumes I and II? Ah…… they were disguised as Halos And Rainbows Volume I and II. Once Hygge made the remark that the former title did not cover all. He was right, so from now on I consider that issue to be solved.

Halos And Rainbows Volume II ended with the applicable title ‘At Loose Ends’ by Keelin. Very nice. Do I mistake or is that a part of the CZA with its bright and distinct colors you captured in ‘At Loose Ends’ Keelin? I love the play of light in these cirrus wisps.

So from now on besides halos and rainbows, also crepescular rays, iridescence, nacreous, noctilucent and whatever has to do with optics. And that makes me think of  the incredible pictures of aurora borealis by Don. Optics for sure and enchanting even in black and white as Don proofed. I look forward to the pictures anyone likes to share in this topic.

To emphasize the meaning of he change of title: a start with ‘just’ some iridescence.

2015-06 CHA eo_0017 kleurcurve contrast klein

Not Able To Hide

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

A splendid solution and excellent introduction, Hans! And a lovely image to launch us all into this optic topic. So come out, come out, wherever you are, all wonders of light phenomena. No need to be camera shy.

Below, a moment that caught me by surprise as I was about to enter my local gym. A reflection in the tinted glass doorway stopped me in my tracks. Needless to say, exercise was postponed while I turned to capture the source of wonderland colors.

IMG_1345_reflectionReflection in tinted glass doorway

IMG_1343_Irridescence & Palm TreeThe real deal, but with contrast tweaked to tone down the sun’s blinding radiance.

PS: And yes, Hans, I think it may have been a part of CZA in ‘At Loose Ends’ (which also caused a delay that day in getting INTO the gym).

Participant

No better way then than to continue with these two pictures Keelin. It is really hard to be in time on whatever appointment being a cloudspotter. This iridescence needed full attention. I can find the reflection back in the real deal.  Wonderful!

2017-07-31 Parhelic_0025 corr klein

Through The Looking Glass

Participant

Oh so inviting, Hans! And wonderland beckons…IMG_1542_With A SmileWith A Cheshire Smile

Participant

A very beautiful smile of a circumzenithal cat Keelin.

Some more iridescence….

2018-11 Wolken_0076-2

Participant

Anti-crepuscular rays. Before I knew about there existence I captured this scenery in Italy (Gargano) at the end of the day in the spring of 2012. The sun was not that low already. I noticed the converging beams of light falling through the clouds. I never understood it until I got familiar with the optical phenomena a few years later and found the explanation on atoptics. Nevertheless most examples are captured at the moment of sunset in far less clouded skies so it still took some time to conclude these must be anti-crepuscular. It is my first and only example of this wonderful phenomenon.

2012-05 Gargano 181 recht h30c30 klein

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
        Participant

Very interesting and beautiful picture, Hans. I have been looking out for this phenomenon. So far no luck.

There is another phenom that I notice, maybe related. The sky is red/pink on the opposite side of the sunset or sunrise. Not much at 90 degrees. When I search for anticrepuscular, I only get “anticrepuscular rays”. How about anticrepuscular light.

Here is one shot. Notice the very clear sky.

anti_sunset_light

Participant

And while on this thread, a halo I captured on a hike last weekend. BTW, I finally caved in and subscribed to LightRoom. Wink-wink.

IMG-1205

Participant

George I think I found the answer to your question about the pinks in the east: Anti-twilight arch or “Belt of Venus”.

Beautiful halo you captured! You wont regret subscribing to LR. I use it since this summer and I am really happy with the possibilities. You can improve the picture in a subtle way without doing violence to reality, but also manipulate it more vigorously and explore creativity.

Just quoting you with next sundog.

2017-09 Charigny_0194 asr klein

Wink-wink

Participant

All beauties above, Hans and George! Especially love those iridescence images, Hans, with a hint of ocean in both of them. Mesmerizing!

And George, the branches of the tree add a joyful feeling to your halo image, as if it’s reaching up in celebration. Which is what I do when I see such wonders — even when it’s just on the tip of a passing cloud wing.

IMG_1195_Wingtip SundogWingtip Sundog

Participant

Ingenious Keelin. A great new category is born with the Wingtip Sundog. Love it!

Participant

A nice link to share from atoptics: Very rare Swedish halos. Al the halos are named.

The same occasion on The Halo Vault: Complex halo display.

Wow!

Participant

Keelin, Hans, I like your sun dogs. Here is something from the sun, but not sure what. Maybe a UTA? This is about 10 minutes after sunset. The sun has set right below the color patch.

_A001046_r

Participant

George, nice picture of a sunset. It is also my first thought that the color patch is a UTA.  One can simulate the different appearances of the UTA with changing the height of the sun on atoptics (and also meteoros.de), but unfortunately the simulations don’t support a height below zero degrees, so I could not really verify the possibility. Still it is verifiable to see a UTA when the sun is at – or just under – the horizon. Very nice.

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Keelin – The wing tip Sun Dog is Phenomenal!!  Should be included in one of Gavin’s calendars, Cloud Of The Month,  – – something.

Good Eye

Participant

Thank you, Hans, George, and Don for such kind comments. So fun to catch the dogs at play — especially when they’re shy. And George, what an amazing image that glowing smile is — kind of shy in its own way.

Participant

2015-12-23 Maanboog_0021 klein

From the archives: a Moonhalo

Participant

Just took a look at the link Hans provided of the Rare Swedish Halos. If anyone has not done so, I highly recommend this. Makes me want to move to Sweden.
      Thanks Hans !!

Participant

To continue on the sun dogs I posted on the new year’s day clouds thread, I was in the Yellowknife airport when I noticed it. I had a very poor viewing angle and I kept moving from window to window to get a better one. (The shot that I have posted I took from the tarmac as I was walking to board the plane. I only had a few seconds.) In the shots from inside, earlier, I notice something that is a bit of a puzzle for me. There is a sun and there is a bright spot below it (subsun?). And the sun dog is at the same level as the subsun. Also the parhelic circle is below the sun. I could not find anything like this on the atoptics site, maybe I did not search deep enough.

_A001238_r

Participant

And further, this shot possibly captured a 44 degree parhelion, or at least a piece of the 46 degree halo. Look at the right side at the horizon level, about the same distance as from the sun to the sun dog. There is  faint patch of color next to an object that raises above the tree line (perhaps the airport radar).

Opinions?

_A001242 (2) horizon level.

Participant

Great capture of the sundogs, George. A 44 degree parhelion is rare, so congrats. Unfortunately I don´t have an answer to your question about the height of the sundog that seems to be not at the same level as the sun itself. On the other hand I am sure you don´t see a subsun. A subsun must be just as far under the horizon as the sun is above. That is why you can only spot a subsun from a plane or from a mountain top. When the brighter spot on your picture is the sun, you might see a lower pillar beneath the sun (I think it is there), but that does not explain the extension to the left and right of the bright spot (like the parhelic) unless that spot is the sun. In that case the brighter spot above the sun is the puzzle.

I suppose you wanted to have more time to make pictures entering the plane. It is a lovely extra to your fantastic aurora experiences you already described elsewhere.  I hope to see more of it!

Participant

George, your sundog and/or ? images above are truly stunning!

And Hans, your Moonhalo brings to mind lyrics of a lovely song by Greg Brown…

And there’s a ring around the moon; long, long time ’til day
              Play me one more tune; please don’t go away

while fingers of the tree branch seems to hold the glow delicately in place.

Below, Mr. Crow stays for an encore by that other orb in the sky.

IMG_2164_Halo PerformanceHalo Performance

Participant

Beautiful! The crow is thinking, this halo needs a haircut.

Participant

This was also in YK, sun pillar and iridescence.

_A000095-2 (Slightly enhanced.)

Participant

Like the crow I would also like an encore Keelin and George. Very niche hairy halo Keelin, and great sun pillar George! This makes me think that – when watching an optical phenomenon – I am always a bit disappointed when it vanishes and find myself afterwards trying to remember what it was like. But then there are still the pictures in the case the camera was at hand. The lyrics you quoted Keelin say it just as it is.

2014-10-31 CZA_0025 ns sch14 klein

Scattered Sundog

Participant

Thank you two. A lovely composition in your capture of iridescence and sun pillar, George. And a playful feeling is evident in your Scattered Sundog, Hans. You know how those puppies like to dash about!

IMG_1229_Stay, Stay!Stay, Stay!

Participant

Two very nice discrete dogs, Hans and Keelin.

Participant

George – (sundog? photo) : don’t know; don’t care. This photo just speaks to me. I would be proud to hang a 10×20 in my home.

Participant

Stay, Stay! But unfortunately they don´t  Keelin. very nice composition with this tailed doggy in the starring role.

For something else I would shout: Come! It is the season that nacreous clouds can be observed over here although it is a very rare phenomenon because it is more often seen in more northern regions. I spotted nacreous in february 2016 for the first and last time. There was first a colorful appearance which I mistook for iridescence at that time but I also spotted one formation a bit later the same day and it does not look like the nacreous with all the colors. What struck me is the resemblance to a picture someone took a bit more south and got published on atoptics. Look for the seventh picture (taken above Delft, Netherlands) on the link:  Two types PSC explained

On this link the difference between the two types of PSC´s are explained and their relationship with the ozone in the atmosphere. The seventh picture shows PSC type I (being just red). My picture above Haarlem shows the same formation (I think).

2016-02-02 Nacreous_0022 kleiner

Participant

How wildly lucky, Hans, to have had a sighting of nacreous clouds! I do not believe it will be your last. And thank you for the link to atopics explanation of these fabulous formations. Indeed, your lovely image above seems to match the description of type 1 PSC. Did that make your toes wiggle?

I do wish I could see further north to catch sight of nacreous, but for now, a little webworker has me stuck in place.

IMG_0280_Halo WeaverHalo Weaver

Participant

Ah. the toe-wiggling was somewhat postponed but nevertheless took place when I was sure afterwards what I saw.

Be careful Keelin not to get stuck like the halo did in this  fine web!

No nacreous now but the familiar iridescence while waiting for a new opportunity.

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0060 c hmidmin cmidplus schmin

Participant

What a delicious shot, Hans! A feast for the senses.

IMG_1647_Another One On The WingAnother One On The Wing

Participant

For too long no feedback on this one Keelin. It is a true beauty on the wing!

Participant

2018-07 Wolken_0109-2

Violin Bow?

Participant

2017-09 Charigny_0185 asr

String Theory

Participant

Your Violin Bow and String Theory are music for the eyes, Hans. Lovely, delicate captures. Below is a bit of iridescence caught on a quiet afternoon in Kittredge.

IMG_3135_Colorado Sun Iridescence

Essence Of Iridescence

Participant

Thanks Keelin. And you spotted also the essence of a Corona. Very nice.

2018-08 Charigny_0182-3

Just Rays

Participant

Danke je, Hans. Your Just Rays are more than just lovely in their tender beauty, so appealing in their soft refrain.

And speaking of coronae, below is a more recent image captured back home here in California.

IMG_3529_Ochtend KroningOchtend Kroning

Participant

Love your Corona and nice title Keelin! It is not easy to catch the colors that well with the backlight of the sun.

Participant

See your Ochtend Kroning on the gallery Keelin. Very nice. I want to like it but for some reason the like button does not work for me (reported issue yet). Still some others seem to be able able to use the like button.

Participant

Thank you, Hans! Like you and likely like others, I cannot “like” recent gallery images either. No doubt the glitch will soon be worked out by those who know how to fix.

Meanwhile below, another image from Colorado skies. Can you see the fellow who has closed an eye, savoring the radiant arc of halo that lights his cheek?

IMG_3334_Basking In The GlowBasking In The Glow

Participant

Basking in the glow is fantastic Keelin. Love it. I certainly can see the fellow with the light on his cheeks.

Somewhat later his nose was coloring. He must have had a good time!

2018-03-18 Wolken_0215 klc contrast klein
      Nosy About The Pictures Of Him

Participant

Ha! Hans! Very funny! For a follow-up, see the curious fellow who just nosed his way onto the Clouds-That-Look-Like topic.

Participant

Keelin I found the curious nosy fellow. A great crazy find imho …. and Dumbo as well. Anyone else: just check the Clouds-That-Look-Like-Things thread.

2019-05 Wolken_0019-2-2

Some display of iridescence.

Participant

A gorgeous and impressively large display, Hans! Love those silhouetted trees you’ve kept in the image foreground.

I was knocked off my feet by an unexpected sighting here in Colorado recently.

Iridescent Overture

Iridescent Overture

Participant

Iridescent Overture is a beauty Keelin!

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant
      Participant

Looks fantastic! Assuming this is not faked, I wonder what the relative positions of the sun, plane and observer need to be.

Participant

Spectacular colors behind that plane, Hygge.

2018-10 Wolken_0018-3

Just Some Plane Plain Iridiscence

Participant

2019-06 Wolken_0040-2

Noctilucent was visible all over the Netherlands and Belgium last night. A wonderful and rare sight.

Participant

Beautiful, Hans! You are lucky to live at that latitude. I am curious, are people in the street noticing them? Around what time was this? (I know the theory, sun below the horizon, etc.)

I’ll be in Norway the second half of August and perhaps catch them.

Participant

Hello George,

Thanks. I took the picture at midnight and that time answers already a bit of your first question. Not many people notice them or it must be the ones that are looking after them. The media give them some attention when their presence is predicted but I have to explain everybody what they are.

Norway in August they can be spotted for sure and Atoptics.co.uk says they might show up from mid May until mid August . So fingers crossed for you. I hope you will spot some.

Participant

George,  I forgot to point out how many noctilucent spottings there were last night in the Cloudspotter app. The real cloudspotters were alert around here! Just check yourself. Some of them are really nice.

Participant

Hans, I went through a number of shots. I saw three of yours, clearly visible noctilucents, and verified them. Very good shots, though not as good as what you posted above, obviously taken with a real camera. I have seen a few others, but they are really too dark to tell if there was anything. Too bad, people probably saw noctilucents, but the phone camera cannot capture them. Perhaps you can check them and help out.

Regarding the time of your above spotting (around midnight). Checking the timeanddate.com sun position for Amsterdam (probaby not very different for the rest of the Netherlands) you were in between Nautical and astronomical twilight. When I will be in Norway in August, at a much higher latitude, around Lofoten and Senja, I will be in nautical twilight in August. It does not even reach astronomical twilight. So I suppose the sun is at about the same hight (depth?) below the horizon as it was for you.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Iridescense

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/look-out-for-a-vision-in-the-cloud-q9qm52bzs

The last para says ‘….but wearing polarised sunglasses helps to reveal them.’

Participant

Ha-ha “the times”, classic trap. These pics, look a lot more like CHA. The remarkable thing is that this phenom is seen at such high latitudes. But then it’s just about solstice.

Nice shots Hygge. I enjoyed seeing them despite the wrong classification.

Participant

How lucky to catch the noctilucent when others were likely just nodding off, Hans! A thrill for sure. Still, there’s always room for…

IMG_3141_iridescent dreamsIridescent Dreams

Participant

The sun seems to have a happy face in your Iridescent Dreams Keelin. I would have too!

2019-06 Charigny_0136-2

Streaming Lights

Participant

What a gorgeous image is your Streaming Lights, Hans. Like a fading memory I would wish to never lose. I wonder, do you see a similarity to Gerhard Richter’s blurred portraits? Your image has the same haunting, evocative feel for me.

The image below is from a series that included the Halo/CHA recently shown on the Gallery. But in this original, the car window was up at that moment and caught an unfortunate reflection. Alas, cropping was required to eliminate the distraction.

IMG_4503_Audience For An ArcAudience For An Arc

Participant

Greeat CHA Keelin. On the gallery you also have the 22 degrees halo above it. Here it is audience that  completes the picture. Love it.

2019-03 Charigny_0014-2

A Watchful Eye

Participant

Very nice shots, folks, keep it up! It’s the CHA season but I have not seen any so far this year. We had a very wet year, actually going back to the fall. So we don’t have the right kind of clouds. Therefore counting on you in other parts of the world.

Participant

George I have been looking for a CHA all days since the sun comes high enough from mid May, but I found no right crystals in place yet to produce one. I don’t give up!

Keelin, I forgot to react on your comparison with Gerhard Richter’s blurred portraits. I did not know about him and had to google a bit to find out. So, thanks for pointing out. And I see what you mean: haunting, disturbed and also disturbing.

Here is another one taken almost at the same moment.

2019-06 Charigny_0135-2

Foreboding

Participant

The color is so subtle in Foreboding, Hans. It is a very intriguing photo. And I’m glad you had your own watchful eye on your next posted image. A gorgeous shot!

Below shows only a section of the most vivid 22˚ halo I’ve seen to date. It captured my attention for quite some time as the clouds danced around it.

IMG_4683_Halo Cloud DanceHalo Cloud Dance

Participant

A halo as bright as this one must keep on’s attention, Keelin. Great colors.

2019-07 Wolken_0029-2

Participant

That’s beautiful image, Hans. I love the staccato feel of floccus clouds supporting the soft shimmering colors above. Here’s another version of a vision.

IMG_4532_Version of a Vision

Participant

IMG_4863_A Delicate HoldA Delicate Hold

Participant

Both very nice halos – and delicate also – Keelin.

2018-02 Luchten_0534 c klein

A Passing Bike?

Participant

Unfortunately I have not seen a CHA this summer except for one very shy and modest appearance, hardly visible. The sun has already lowered its altitude for some time this summer. I must go back to the archives for a colorful fragment of a CHA.

2018-06 Wolken_0362-2

P.S.: Very nice 22 degrees halo with upper tangent arc on the gallery Keelin!

Participant

Oh Hans, that is beautiful! Wow. Delicate bliss! A celebration is in order.

IMG_1064_CelebrationCelebration

PS: And thank you for kind comments. Also saw your Cirrocumulus with sundog on the Gallery. Another beauty!

Participant

thanks for the wonderful celebration Keelin. And today your 22 degrees halo with circumscribed halo and / or upper tangent arc is Cloud-A-Day accompanied with a nice explanation. Congrats!

2019-08 Wolken_0013-2

A big smile from the sky (and me) for you.

Participant

Thank you, Hans! And you’ve captured a smile to savor there. Love that little beauty mark of a comma in the corner too.

Now why do I get the feeling there may be a party going on behind these clouds?

IMG_4193_Party PoppersParty Poppers

Participant

Close-ups of a recent “smile”…

IMG_5305_CZA_cropped

IMG_5313_cza close-up

Participant

More whim of the wind, at a different angle, catching a bit of shimmering color…

IMG_5431_More whim of the wind

Participant

More whim of the wind, at a different angle, catching a bit of shimmering color…

IMG_5431_More whim of the wind

Participant

Well here is certainly a party going on here, to start with your party-poppers Keelin. Great smiles also. The last two make me wonder what you spotted. Assuming the pictures are rotated on their left side I suppose these are the same smiles as before?

I hope sincerely you are going well in California despite the fire disasters over there?

I have been a bit absent but yesterday I had the opportunity to spot some nice colorful sundogs. This one is not dangerous but still ..

2019-10 Wolken (28)-2

A Harmless Ball Of Fire

Participant

Thank you for well wishes, Hans. We are fortunate once again to be in a sweet, rare spot where PG&E has not cut power and flames still at a distance. Air quality is bad, but we cannot complain when others are in dicier situations. Your Harmless Ball Of Fire is one I can appreciate! A beautiful capture of color.

You have been missed and it’s a delight to see your return—a splendid reason for party poppers! As for that smile, I’m not sure why it posted twice, but yes, it is from the same event as the one you can see on the Color thread. That image shows the true orientation, but from a slightly different location.

Participant

Thank you Keelin. Good to know you are OK. I hope for you and a l of people over there that the fires will be controlled and end soon.

Since Monday I do have quite a series of sundogs. They change shape every second and go and return with the winds. Here is one that also should could easily fit in the clouds-that-look-like-things thread. I have made a collage of threes phases.

2019-10 Wolken (5)-2 collage jpg

A SunDog Crawling Out Of The Shadow. Or Is It A Chamelion?

Participant

Beautiful series, Hans! And yes, the change is moment to moment with these frisky chameleon/puppies. Even without color, these light phenomena still hold me spellbound.

IMG_2521_Held SpellboundHeld Spellbound

Participant

I see something in the upper part of your picture Keelin. A colorless halo so maybe a parhelic circle?

2019-10 Wolken (15)-2

A Stretched Sundog

Participant

Love the layered look of your Stretched Sundog, Hans. And yes, that would be my guess about the circle in Held Spellbound. A bit of contrast helped bring the light to light.

IMG_5240_Heart AglowHeart Aglow

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Arizona Optical Phenomena

A Parry Arc (Upper Tangent Arc)and a Parhelic Circle the same day! 11/15/19

nov1519b6928Parry

nov1519b6957Parhelic

Participant

Congrats Michael. It makes one´s day seeing these phenomena. It gives Heartglow, like Keelin spotted above.

On the first you spotted the rare suncave Parry and the UTA. I can see them both since they just don´t coincide yet. On the website meteoros.de (note that it is in German language) you can simulate the height of the sun and see the effect on the appearance of the arc.

Simulation Parry arc

According to what I tried the sun must have been at approximately 35 degrees high when you took the picture.

I am waiting for new occasions over here. It is a long time since I saw something exciting except for some recent spectacular sundogs (above). Less rare but also exciting for its brightness and colors. Here is another one from the series I took a week ago.

2019-10 Wolken (47)-2

Participant

Its amazing to me how the Parry Arc behaves as the sun rises in degrees from horizon. Crowley’s site shows the changes up to 30 degrees. There was more color but as Crowley says theres no camera that can capture the colors the eye see with the parry arc and UTA. The PA lasted as long as the patch of cirrus traveled across the sun. The parhelic circle formed after the PA .

Participant

What fantastic luck, Michael! Thank you for letting us share vicariously in the thrill of such unusual sightings.

And love your vivid sundog, Hans. It looks to be hovering over and reflecting in ocean waves. Must have had you doing the happy dance as well.

Participant

Yes Keelin I did a happy dance, while watching sundogs come and go and change shape. I suppose Michael did also some happy moves catching a Parry arc and a parhelic. And I agree with the quote from Crowley Michael. It is always a bit disappointing what the camera does after having seen and captured a bright colorful halo. Lucky enough there is LR with which one can make the picture more like it really was. Without overdoing it will come close.

And yes these animations are wonderful on atoptics. It is the software of Les Cowley that is broadly used I noticed and it enables these animations on meteoros.de as well. It is fun to play with these animations and it is also very instructive as to the way these halos appear and develop depending on the height of the sun.

Unfortunately I don’t have my archive with me this week  So just text for now.

Participant

Halo

dec0418b0497halo

Participant

Nice halo Michael. It took me back to my archive and next one struck me as a mathematical excercise in the sky.

2016-07 Wolken_0008 klein

Airborne Archimedes?

Participant

Yesterday a upper tangent arc tangent to nothing at all and hovering in the sky alone. I took intermediately a picture, but damn it … it is my wide angle.

2019-12 Wolken-2
      Quick. Mount my zoom. Too late. The UTA is gone with the wind. Then just crop and zoom in virtually.

2019-12 Wolken-3

Participant

Writing things without checking gives this strange and accidentally ´intermediately´ what should have been ´immediately´. Make a typo and the spell checker makes it worse…… so also check the checker.

Participant

Writing things without checking gives this strange and accidentally ´intermediately´ what should have been ´immediately´. Make a typo and the spell checker makes it worse…… so also check the checker.

Participant

Happy Solstice!

I have an optical phenom a bit different. I went to the beach early morning to catch the sunrise and started taking pictures with my telephoto. There was this strange object and when I zoomed in I saw it was floating in the air:

_A006166_e

It was quite cold and I read that these are the typical conditions for Fata Morgana. The object was not moving. It’s to big to be a helicopter. Ships usually line up in the ocean around there awaiting their turn to enter the New York harbor. There were a few other “flying” ones, tough not as colorful. Here is a copy a bit enlarged and enhanced.

_A006166_ce

Participant

Great fata-morgana George. Never saw something like that. The right conditions are rare. I assume you already checked atoptics for an explanation? Thanks for sharing.

Participant

Thank you, Hans. I looked it up on Wikipedia, but now I see Les has a number of outstanding examples.

Participant

Thanks so much for sharing your Fata Morgana image, George, and helpful comments, Hans. I wasn’t familiar with this type of illusion at all, so spent a bit of time on atopics site.

Also, further above, another hovering delight. Lucky Hans, to see a UTA. And I love the Airborne Archimedes image!

Even further above (which requires I keep looking up and up), Michael brings us a beautiful halo.

Keeping eyes open here for something to share on the topic. Such magic is worth waiting for.

Participant

George, congratulations on your aurora photo chosen as today’s Cloud of the Day! A fantastic beauty of light, motion, magic! What a thrill that moment of night sky dancing must have delivered. I imagine you shivered in joy as well.

Participant

Thank you Keelin! Yes the Aurora is something out of this world, actually literally, if you think of the origin. I plan to go chase it again.

I have a short video, not sure if I posted it to the forum before. It’s actually s slide show based on six or seven consecutive shots during the same Yelloknife trip, too few to make a time lapse. Hope you enjoy it. (As always with dark skie pictures, watch it in a dark environment.)

Participant

As the sky was forecast to be clear on the morning of Christmas day, I woke up at 5am to go back to the beach to catch an old moon rise and a bit later perhaps the green flash of the sunrise. I got neither, but the fata morgana was still there and I caught an interesting sun coming out of the ocean. First the top comes out with a gap between it and the horizon, a floating top of the sun at the same height as the floating (in the air) ship on the right. Then the body and reflection unite. It looks like the sun is pulling itself out of the ocean while some of it, like a gooey fluid, is left behind. Finally it breaks free and the morgana reflection disappears. A few pics below. A time lapse video is on vimeo, but you will have to cut and paste the link in your browser.

vimeo.com/381431960

_A009593_c

_A009780_c

_A009807_c

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Hello everyone, I have two photos here of parts or a parhelic circle (yes I saw the whole thing!). I could only take pictures of parts of the circle because of the enormity of the phenomena. I did take a video and I may share that later if you’d like of most of the ring. There is also a sun dog and a 22° Halo in both images. This is the only time I have ever seen this phenomena because it is very rare. Hope you enjoy!

download_20190401_162743download_20190401_162755

Participant

Welcome, Gregory! This is very interesting. Where did you see it? Looking forward to seeing the video.

Not sure if you are using an iphone, but it has a “pano” mode. It’s been very useful for me for broad land/cloud scapes. I suppose other phone types have something similar.

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Hello George, I live in the Southeastern part of Washington State. It was taken while hiking up a small mountain one day. I would’ve used pano mode but I just wasn’t sure if it would work because this is both high in the sky and a round circle.

Have a wonderful day,

Gregory(Greg) Venarsky

Participant

Greg, in my experience, pano mode works in any direction. I took vertical pano’s, for example. Anyway, that is for future reference.

I asked about the location because in ski areas whee they make artificial snow it’s more likely to get complex halos and the like.

Participant

Hello everyone, I’d like to move this thread to the top of the Forum with this post of a link to an absolutely fantastic moon halo++. It was posted on Twitter. I don’t think Twitter requires you to sign up to see postings (like FB).

https://twitter.com/BrentMckean501/status/1228106368718008322/photo/1

@Hans
      – I think you will love it.

Participant

Thanks for sharing George. Can’t believe my eyes seeing this halo exposure. I recognize a number of halos but what I see within the 22 degrees halo is a puzzle to me. There are several options with halos due to pyramidical crystals (so called odd halos) but the ones on the picture are exuberantly colorful.  Love it indeed!

Participant

Second and better thought: inside the 22 degrees halo it must be a corona like the title of the picture states. The only thing that puzzles me is that the corona is so large. The smaller the water droplets that cause the corona the larger the corona. That’s for sure, but I did not found information yet about a corona this size. The beauty of it is unmatched I think.

Viewing 96 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.