Optical Phenomena and Effects

Optical Phenomena and Effects

Forums The Cloud Forum Optical Phenomena and Effects

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Those of you who have the 2018 CAS Calendar will have seen the Hans Stocker picture of cloud iridescence for June; the picture would serve equally for the Silver Lining thread. It is similar to this picture by Hans which I found in the CAS Gallery

Photo Gallery

And since the much missed Alec Jones set a fashion for themed threads, Hans made me think we might have this one for OPE.

My topic title is the name of a section in Richard Hamblyn’s ‘The Cloud Book’.

Participant

Ah… ‘The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft a-gley’, as Burns noted. The Themed Thread can only work if the theme comes along often enough to remain in the contributor’s mind.

So I offer this link to an Andrew Kirk photo of alpenglow

Photo Gallery

Andrew was a frequent contributor (he often linked with Alec Jones) who kept us enthralled with the clouds in the Owens Valley, CA, beneath the Sierra Mountains; frequently at dawn.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Hello Hygge, thanks for appreciating my pictures with iridescence and a corona. Very nice link to the picture by Andrew Kirk too. I like his pictures very much amnong them also the picture with “two for the price of one” you linked to in the Waves thread.

You stated that the Themed Thread can only work if the theme comes along often enough to remain in the contributor’s mind. Maybe you did not notice the somewhat different titled thread “Halos and Rainbows Volume II” covering already what you wish for. Indeed not that frequent updated, but nevertheless already Volume II. So let’s continue there.

Participant

OK, Hans. But for the pedantic ones like me, could I suggest you make the title more open ended?

e.g. HALOS AND RAINBOWS VOLUME II might become

Haloes, Rainbows etc. Volume II

Hamblyn uses the term ‘optical phenomena’ a lot but I failed to find out what he means by ‘and Effects’. So I would be happy to settle for ‘etc.’.

‘H’  hygge

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Well, maybe optical phenomena and effects seems to be somewhat pleonastic. A title like ‘Optical phenomena’ covers it all according to the approach by the well known and much appreciated site ‘atoptics’ by Les Cowley. To consider at the start of Volume III of Halos and Rainbows…..

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.