Need some ID help

Need some ID help

Forums The Cloud Forum Need some ID help

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven strick avatarSteven strick

Saw these in the morning in Idaho. Amazing. As a beginner, I’m not sure where to start to identify them.  Maybe Radiatus? Or just a bunch of Cumulus lined up? Thanks !

20200210_101018

Karin Warren avatarKarin Warren
      Participant

Hello Steven, for some reason I cannot view your image, but a go-to guide for cloud ID is the WMO’s International Cloud Atlas: https://cloudatlas.wmo.int/cloud-classification-aids-cl-cm-ch.html

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Steven – Another decent source, a bit less technical and perhaps easier to use : WhatsThisCloud.com. They have a downloadable e-book on cloud types that has sketches, photos, comparisons (for instance, altocumulus vs stratocumulus), etc.

Steven strick avatarSteven strick

Wonderful. I’ll look it up.

I still think that our forum would benefit from having a topic stream entitled “What’s this cloud?” Very helpful to us beginners and might attract more members.

In the meantime, I’m still looking up!

Steve

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Steve – Hope this e-book helps.

There are several similar topic streams in the Forum, generally centered around a given, specific cloud photo (much as yours is). Might be worthwhile looking through the streams here.

Also –

There are several Local Community groups of cloudspotters. I don’t know where you live, but there might be one clos to you. If so, these cloudy thinkers would certainly be of help.

-Don

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.