Community Pages

Please accept our new Terms & Conditions before contributing to our Community Pages. Any content you contribute will be publicly visible. We expect contributors to show respect, courtesy and an appreciation of the atmosphere we all share.

Filter Photos:

You have selected:

Main Cloud Types

Other Clouds

Optical Effects

Miscellaneous

Need some ID help

Need some ID help

Forums The Cloud Forum Need some ID help

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven Strick avatarSteven Strick

Saw these in the morning in Idaho. Amazing. As a beginner, I’m not sure where to start to identify them.  Maybe Radiatus? Or just a bunch of Cumulus lined up? Thanks !

20200210_101018

Karin Warren avatarkwarren
      Participant

Hello Steven, for some reason I cannot view your image, but a go-to guide for cloud ID is the WMO’s International Cloud Atlas: https://cloudatlas.wmo.int/cloud-classification-aids-cl-cm-ch.html

Don Hatfield avatarDon
      Participant

Steven – Another decent source, a bit less technical and perhaps easier to use : WhatsThisCloud.com. They have a downloadable e-book on cloud types that has sketches, photos, comparisons (for instance, altocumulus vs stratocumulus), etc.

Steven Strick avatarSteven Strick

Wonderful. I’ll look it up.

I still think that our forum would benefit from having a topic stream entitled “What’s this cloud?” Very helpful to us beginners and might attract more members.

In the meantime, I’m still looking up!

Steve

Don Hatfield avatarDon
      Participant

Steve – Hope this e-book helps.

There are several similar topic streams in the Forum, generally centered around a given, specific cloud photo (much as yours is). Might be worthwhile looking through the streams here.

Also –

There are several Local Community groups of cloudspotters. I don’t know where you live, but there might be one clos to you. If so, these cloudy thinkers would certainly be of help.

-Don

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.