Nabokov on Clouds (from Speak, Memory)

Nabokov on Clouds (from Speak, Memory)

Forums The Cloud Forum Nabokov on Clouds (from Speak, Memory)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Thellen Levy avatarThellen Levy
      Participant

I recall one particular sunset. It lent an ember to my bicycle bell. Overhead, above the black music of telegraph wires, a number of long, dark-violet clouds lined with flamingo pink hung motionless in a fan-shaped arrangement; the whole thing was like some prodigious ovation in terms of color and form! It was dying, however, and everything else was darkening too; but just above the horizon, in a lucid turquoise space, beneath a black stratus, the eye found a vista that only a fool would mistake for the spare parts of this or any other sunset. It occupied a very small sector of the enormous sky and had the peculiar neatness of something seen through the wrong end of a telescope. There it lay, in wait, a family of serene clouds in miniature, an accumulation of brilliant convolutions, anachronistic in their creaminess and extremely remote; remote but perfect in every detail; fantastically reduced but faultlessly shaped; my marvelous tomorrow ready to be delivered to me.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Thellen Levy avatarThellen Levy.
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

T..its been said that Nabokov fell in love with the English language..

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.