Long lasting rainbow

Long lasting rainbow

Forums The Cloud Forum Long lasting rainbow

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Ayesha Gavin avatarAyesha Gavin
      Participant

Hi all, yesterday in East Lancashire we had a thunderstorm along with bright sunshine, the downpour continued for some time. As a result I noticed a rainbow at 17.34 and took a photograph of it. I continued to take photographs at regular intervals until 19.14, and have captured how the rainbow appears to move as the sun began to set.

I know this isn’t the longest lasting rainbow ever recorded but it was certainly the longest lasting one I have seen. Did anyone else see this, or similar?

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Ayesha, I think you were very lucky. I don’t remember seeing rainbows that last even half as long. Obviously, the rain needs to continue and move relatively little and in the right direction for this to happen.

Not sure if you meant to ask it as a question, but the rainbow’s movement would be expected as the sun moves. If the sun (always behind you) moves down and to the left (as you would expect before sunset in the northern hemisphere), the rainbow we move higher and to the to the right.

It would be great to see some of your pictures.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.