Lacunosus

Lacunosus

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sue Hendry avatarSue Hendry
      Participant

Lacunosus is a formation described as “rare” and “fleeting”, but in the last 8 months that I have enjoyed membership I have managed to photograph it 4 times, always in very much the same area of sky, from my back door!  Can anyone explain if the topography here (Perth, Western Australia) is the cause of this?.  Clouds here normally come from the sea to our West across the very flat coastal plain towards  the Perth Hills – all of 300 metres in altitude!

These photos were taken on 27th January, 27th February, 13th May and 26th August, so not seasonal, and all facing East.

Thankyou,

Sue

Lacunosus 1aLacunosus 2aLacunosus 3aLacunosus 4a

Inactive

I’m no expert but I think that many elements play a role in cloud formation including topography – that’s established I believe. Probably the open flat terrain creates the right kind of conditions.

Sue Hendry avatarSue Hendry
      Participant

Thankyou Tony!

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Hello Sue, in my opinion there is no topographic issue at play in the presence of lacunosus. It is a matter of different layers of air in which sinking pockets of cool air form the characteristic holes of lacunosus clouds, with the fringes of cloud forming where the air rises in between.
      I hope you like it.

Hans

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.