Community Pages

Please accept our new Terms & Conditions before contributing to our Community Pages. Any content you contribute will be publicly visible. We expect contributors to show respect, courtesy and an appreciation of the atmosphere we all share.

Filter Photos:

You have selected:

Main Cloud Types

Other Clouds

Optical Effects

Miscellaneous

Cloud Identification Help

Kelvin Helmholtz Instability or fun “wave-on-wave” clouds?

Forums Cloud Identification Help Kelvin Helmholtz Instability or fun “wave-on-wave” clouds?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ramona Edwards avatarrje623
      Participant

KH clouds are some that puzzle me, as I see so many, many “waves” when I am watching clouds.  This one was particularly interesting.  I have made a composite image from six consecutive photos – I can post them separately if that would be easier to see, though.  There was a large “wave” in some cumulus clouds with a smaller wave behind it.  As I was watching, I saw tiny waves begin to emerge on top of the large one.  I remember that Hans pointed out that KH waves can be on cumulus clouds, but I think the clouds were just playing around a bit here?  ;-)  Thoughts and input appreciated!
      Blessings

Ramona

Untitled-1

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Ah! These are indeed very tricky to decipher. I want to say it is K-H, but just a singular one on a cumulus? That seems like it may not be. Anyone else want to throw their hat in the ring?

Ramona Edwards avatarrje623
      Participant

Thanks for the input!  Maybe someone else will weigh in, too!
      Blessings

Ramona

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Fluctus can be seen in cumulus and when you look it up in the ICA you will find a lot less convincing example than the ones you posted. I can understand Gregory’s  doubts but for me they are KH. Very nice capture.

I checked several times an appropriate cumulus filled sky and when you’re lucky one can find a lot of these examples. Sometimes a crest on its own but also two or three and then mostly different in size.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.