Kelvin Helmholtz Instability or fun “wave-on-wave” clouds?

Kelvin Helmholtz Instability or fun “wave-on-wave” clouds?

Forums Cloud Identification Help Kelvin Helmholtz Instability or fun “wave-on-wave” clouds?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Ramona Edwards avatarRamona Edwards
      Participant

KH clouds are some that puzzle me, as I see so many, many “waves” when I am watching clouds.  This one was particularly interesting.  I have made a composite image from six consecutive photos – I can post them separately if that would be easier to see, though.  There was a large “wave” in some cumulus clouds with a smaller wave behind it.  As I was watching, I saw tiny waves begin to emerge on top of the large one.  I remember that Hans pointed out that KH waves can be on cumulus clouds, but I think the clouds were just playing around a bit here?  ;-)  Thoughts and input appreciated!
      Blessings

Ramona

Untitled-1

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Ah! These are indeed very tricky to decipher. I want to say it is K-H, but just a singular one on a cumulus? That seems like it may not be. Anyone else want to throw their hat in the ring?

Participant

Thanks for the input!  Maybe someone else will weigh in, too!
      Blessings

Ramona

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Fluctus can be seen in cumulus and when you look it up in the ICA you will find a lot less convincing example than the ones you posted. I can understand Gregory’s  doubts but for me they are KH. Very nice capture.

I checked several times an appropriate cumulus filled sky and when you’re lucky one can find a lot of these examples. Sometimes a crest on its own but also two or three and then mostly different in size.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

The key to K-H is wind shear at a temperature boundary between two layers. I don’t think I am seeing that. It looks more wind push to me.

Ariel Kotker avatarAriel Kotker
      Participant

A046180F-4655-4A22-9B3D-7084F89C00A8DAF0CE76-568D-4C09-B05C-EB13E8832F67hello,

is it OK to jump on Ramona’s thread instead of starting a new one? let me know if not, and I’ll start a new thread.

Anyway, same question different clouds. i’ve always wanted to see fluctus but I didn’t think it would look like this… Am I seeing KH here?

thank you!

Participant

It’s okay with me for you to jump in!!  I have seen KH clouds many times, plus many questionables, such as I posted here.  It can be difficult to know for certain so much of the time!  This is one of my favorite photos of KH clouds, but you have to look carefully for them. I was so excited to get a sun halo, sun dogs AND KH clouds in one shot.  The KH are in the lower left hand corner – you can’t see many of them because I was trying to include the whole “scene” in the photo, but the form was definitive. I cannot say for certain regarding your photos, as I am far from the expert.  I will wait along with you to see what the others say!
      Blessings
      Ramona

283028462_10160179862731064_6694465159525152461_n (1)

Participant

Great halo Ramona, indeed with KH bottom left. And Ariel, in my opinion you have spotted KH as well. Always fun to spot these waves!

Ariel Kotker avatarAriel Kotker
      Participant

wow, ramona, what a delight it must’ve been to spot those fantastic fully formed fluctus. i love how the wave curls all the way round.

and hans, thank you.. this makes a total of three KH spotting for me, and counting (hopefully)

Participant

Yes, that was a high point in my cloud spotting “career”, I have to admit!!  I doubt that I will ever see all of those sky elements again together in the same frame!
        Blessings

Ramona

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

Well, any thoughts?  I would love to have caught a KH.  I am not sure it is quite like my mom’s meringue pie.   P1120995 (2)

Participant

I am far from an expert – only a novice, in fact.  They do look similar to KH, at least.  It’s so hard to tell when they are in that in-between point.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will step in and give a more definitive answer!

Blessings

Ramona

Participant

I agree with Ramona. Also for me this is KH Ruth. The typical crests are maybe a bit chaotic, but they are there for sure. I love meringue btw!

Participant

Hans, thanks much for your helping with the ID and my mom’s pie!  Always exciting to see an unusual cloud formation.  Also, congrats on your calendar entry in 2023.

Participant

Another one that has me guessing.  Appreciate if someone thinks it might be that fun Fluctus! P1044539 (2)

Participant

Hmmmm, Ruth, this one doesn’t seem to be quite as organized as your previous image, so not quite as certain about it.  There are a couple of definite curls on it, though.

Blessings

Ramona

Participant

I agree with Ramona that there are a couple of definite curls on it, Ruth. It seems that you have a good eye for meringue in the sky;)

And thanks about the calendar. It was quite a surprise for me.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.