Heads Up: 21AUG2017 Eclipse

Heads Up: 21AUG2017 Eclipse

Forums The Cloud Forum Heads Up: 21AUG2017 Eclipse

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

I gather it will be particularly good across the USA and last for 2 minutes?

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Actually it’s a pretty narrow band for the total eclipse, some 70 miles. It’s advertised as the “great American eclipse” because the totality band crosses the country from west to east. I planned my vacation so that I could cross that band (in Nebraska or Wyoming) on that day, but I am getting nervous. I read everywhere that there will be large crowds who, like me, will want to get in that zone. A huge traffic jam. I hope they’re the usual press exaggerations.

Of course, a few clouds can mess things up too :-)

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Hygge &  Gorge and all others interested in this event.

You may find the info in the link here useful.  It comes from NASA’s APOD website.  A good map is depicted showing the projected path of the eclipse.

I hope you find this helpful.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160821.html

Laurence

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Peanuts Eclipse

Participant

Hillarious! It was indeed very hard to find anything 100+ miles outside the totality zone. We were extremely lucky to pick up a cancellation. A small B&B room for $200, normally renting for $50. Free market in action.

Participant

I hope you will have a good sight on the spectacle George! It must be very special.

Participant

Thank you, Hans and Laurence!

Participant

21AUG2017 (my fourth attempt at this reply which keeps vanishing when I go search or just for no reason)

Well, here in Hants, UK, where there was but a nibble out of the sun, it was 8/10 cloud cover and I did not even see the sun – DOH! Laurence, thanks for the APOD link. George, you were lucky. On BBC radio a guy knew of the eclipse 9 years ago and booked his hotel room 3 years ago. I hope you were doubly lucky unlike UK weatherman Tomasz Schafernaker who went on holiday to Nashville, TN

https://twitter.com/Schafernaker?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

but did not get to see it through cloud, though some nearby did

http://www.tennessean.com/

I think the US west coast did better but I guess Tomasz went for the longest time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40657793

Participant

IMG_3379

Yes I was lucky. (Still on the road. )

Participant

Congrats George, great impression!

Participant

I think you made your own luck, George. Inspirational. Memorable. Spot on.

Participant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okta

It has been worrying me since I said above ‘8/10 cloud cover’. Cloud cover is measured in eighths, as was mentioned on my local BBC Radio Solent 22AUG2017.

Participant

DSC01573Back from my vacation, a few impressions: It was like it was described and anticipated in the various articles. There was some traffic congestion as we approached the totality zone. It did get cooler when the coverage was about 80%. The totality was eerie and magnificent. We had about 2 minutes of it. The corona looks like really bad hair, very asymmetric, stretching out to a distance comparable to the radius of the Sun. Hard to capture on camera, some of the best pictures show it, but not mine. My only regret is that I was too busy taking pictures instead of just looking at it during totality.

My wife said the whole experience (people streaming to their destinations, all looking at the same thing,the strangeness of the sky) reminded her of the movie Close encounters of the third kind.

A few pics, starting with the a moment before totality.

Participant

If you can enlarge it (it’s a 24 megapixels shot) you can see the solar flares as little red spots.

DSC01574

Participant

While the sky was black (one could see a few stars or planets), the horizon was like after sunset but all around.

IMG-3365

Participant

And the “diamond ring” signals the end of the magic.

DSC01580

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

George,,how cool is that!!  Thanks For Posting the Photos!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.