“Cross Hatched” clouds

“Cross Hatched” clouds

Forums Cloud Identification Help “Cross Hatched” clouds

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Ramona Edwards avatarRamona Edwards
      Participant

While cloud watching, I often wonder what wind patterns are causing clouds to look like a particular pattern.  The skies seem fluid to me, much like an ocean, with the shapes illustrating the magic world of wind patterns in the atmosphere.  Can anyone help me understand what is “going on” with these clouds?  They seem “cross hatched” to me, with lines going opposite directions in the same cloud with the smaller ones.  I have included a black and white version of the larger photo, as it helps with contrast.  What amazing skies!!
      Thanks
      RamonaIMG_8304editlowIMG_8312editlowIMG_8312editbwlow

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

I love your B&W version of the cross hatched patterns. It is like you say yourself: “the shapes illustrating the magic world of wind patterns in the atmosphere”. We are walking on the bottom of an gaseous ocean formed by the the troposphere.

I think the answer for your puzzle is to realize that what seems to be one cloud can be different layers of clouds. When there are layers of the same kind of clouds we classify them as duplicatus. Winds high up there differ very much with height and that way you can find cross hatched patterns. The differences in wind directions at different levels betray the duplicatus nature of the clouds.

This is a nice example on the gallery: Duplicatus.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.