Corkonian Cloudscapes

Corkonian Cloudscapes

Forums The Cloud Forum Corkonian Cloudscapes

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Davy Thwaites avatarDavy Thwaites
      Participant

IMG_2459Hey there, fellow cloudheads, I feel privileged to join this exclusive cloud crowd as member 43185 :) Always been inspired by clouds but only getting into photography since I moved here to Cork last summer for work. The famously ever-changing weather here makes for a gluttonous feast of cloudscapes and sunsets. Just upgraded from a lowest budget Sony to a Nikon d3300 today so hope to be able to share some great pic with you. Here’s Some I snapped in the last few months. IMG_1776IMG_1932

Kristy Sharkey avatarKristy Sharkey
      Participant

Nice shots, Davy.  I’m curious to hear what people shoot clouds with (camera bodies and lenses but also settings).  If anyone has any cloud photography tips and tricks or suggestions for great equipment or camera settings for sky photography, I’d love to steal your knowledge!  I have a Sony A6000 and it’s mostly been a great first camera for me.  I’m tempted to rent a higher end camera or just a high end lens to see if I can see the difference.  Clouds always sort of look blurry anyway, right?

Participant

Hi Kristy. I was using a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX350 up until now… great little pocket tool for vivid, dramatic skies but it was very blurry and noisy when it came to capturing softer, more subtle moments. As a newbie I was shifting thru all the settings  until I got used to what worked.  I tested the Nikon, automatic mode, on some dull grey skies yesterday evening, clouds that would be a blurry grey mass on the Sony are clear and sharp on this…it’s really picking up the small details and capturing what my eyes are seeing. Here’s a couple more from the Sony. To be honest… with skies as exciting as they can be over Cork… you can’t go wrong even with the cheapest camera!IMG_0400IMG_0391IMG_0411IMG_0395

Participant

Some amazing skies today!

IMG_0437IMG_0456IMG_0458IMG_0457

Kristy Sharkey avatarKristy Sharkey
      Participant

Thanks for the camera details.  I’ve looked for some specifics on cloud photography but most seem to talk about filters, and not about settings/lenses/equipment.

Great skies and photos, really stunning.  Do you find that autofocus sometimes gets confused if you just point at the sky?  I find sometimes I need to focus on a tree or far away object first to get sharp pictures.  I also realized that clouds are in fact blurry by nature, so knowing what the sharpest focus is, is sometimes a bit of a trial and error game.

Fantastic iridescence in these, really nice.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.