Contrail Thread Volume III

Contrail Thread Volume III

Forums The Cloud Forum Contrail Thread Volume III

Viewing 87 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Contrail Thread Volume III kicks off not very long since Alec started Volume I, so this topic runs fast but still the Contrail Count Game is pending at the number #17. No higher numbers were posted in VolumeII. I am curious whether someone will spot more then 17 contrails in one picture. George ended Volume II with a fantastic red colored sky with contrails. Here are some other colors to start Volume III.

2018-02 Luchten_0285 c asr klein

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

https://public.wmo.int/en/WorldMetDay2017/classifying-clouds

Well, this was not what I was searching for, Hans, and I have not counted. I was going to suggest that your challenge is for a ground based photo. I was looking for a NASA satellite picture which might exceed 17; there is one of the Irish Sea focussed on Dublin airport I believe.

Participant

Hygge, it turns out not to bee easy to find pictures on the web with higher numbers of contrails on it. Nice link to the the page of the WMO anyway.

2018-02 Luchten_0126 asr klein

Sunset Contrail

Participant

I can imagine the graininess upon first awakening you posted in Volume II Keelin. Quite recognizable. Here some graininess at sunset.

2018-02 Luchten_0396 s1ho h25co klein

Sandwiched

Participant

2018-01 Luchten_0178 asr klein

Trail

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

A great launch into Volume III, Hans! And thank you for so gently nudging me awake (grainy eyes, foggy brain here!). Happy now to follow your trail….

Connect The DotsStepping Stones

Participant

Haha, you’re welcome Keelin. I had to rub my eyes seeing your unique stepping stones! I think they will lead us further although the path might not be that straight.

2018-01 Luchten_0165 asr ac klein

Participant

A development from contrail to spare ribs.

2018-02 Luchten_0487 collage2 klein

Participant

I don’t know how you guys do it – spot such cloud formations, let alone such photos too.

P.S. Morse (a UK tele detective) on a railway platform asked a chap who had given him rail info if he was a trainspotter – railway enthusiast he answered. I don’t think I like sky enthusiast as much as cloudspotter.

Participant

I like Morse Hygge. I’ve seen a lot of the series. Also the young Morse.

Roger Samuels avatarRoger Samuels
      Participant

Angel

Participant

I love this Angelic Contrail Roger. That’s how you named it in a different topic. What strange form. One can hardly recognize the homogenetic character of the cloud. I hope to see more from you.

The same day the Spare Ribs developped I spotted this.

2018-02 Luchten_0481 asr klein

Weeping Contrail

Participant

2018-02 Luchten_0094 asr klein

Misty

Participant

Walking backwards through the recent posts here, love that ZZZ path you found, Hans. Nothing to snooZe on, that’s for sure! And those amazing Spare Ribs, stripped clean, it looks like.

What a wild dance Angelic Contrail is doing, Roger! It’s got rhythm to spare.

And such softness in Weeping Contrail, Hans. Misty is utterly fantastic.

I’d say you two are keeping A Good Eye on those contrails.

IMG_7168_A Good Eye

Participant

And so do you Keelin. Love this contrast between old and new.

2018-03 Luchten_0073 asr klein

There Is This Crack In The Ceiling

Participant

2018-03 Luchten_0099 asr klein c

Hiccough!

Participant

IMG_8085_GigggleGigggle!

Participant

Your Gigggle! made me really laugh Keelin. Very funny and nice texture too.

2018-03 Luchten_0133 asr klein

The aging Of Contrails

Participant

Hiccough! was amusing and so well-titled, Hans, I just couldn’t resist a teasing reply. And I like to see how the passage of time is reflected in the Aging of Contrails. It is something to contemplate, nest-ce pas?

IMG_8074_Thinking About ItThinking About It*

*with a dash of seasoning

Participant

Mais oui! Your wit  is unmatched Keelin. Even poetic. And the seeming simplicity of your ‘Thinking About It’ is brilliant.

2018-02 Luchten_0523 asr rot sch10 c klein2 (Large)

I tried to contemplate but my thoughts are fleeting…….

Participant

Wow, Hans, what a BEAUTY! It reminds me of the rare piercing insight that comes when you least expect it. Your image above changed my breathing.

My own thoughts are sometimes somewhat twisty. Nevertheless, thank you for kind compliments!

IMG_6962_TwistyTwisty

Participant

Thank you too Keelin. Nice and soft elegant twist Keelin in the text as well as in Twisty. No twist about it.

2018-01 Luchten_0149 B&W ns171-236 klein

Someone messed up the escape ladder …

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Silk ladder to climb into the clouds.

Participant

…. or from ….

2018-02 Luchten_0095 B&W an klein

David and Goliath

Participant

2017-10 Charigny_0076 uitsnede ns58-120 klein c

Some play with colors

Participant

2018-03-03 Luchten_0355 an sch8 c klein

Contrail Madness

Participant

WOW! and WOW! Some Play With Colors and Contrail Madness are simply fantastic, Hans! The B&Ws above them are also splendid. You have really ignited this thread with these beauties. Below is one that cannot compete, more like a little fizzle, but still fun to share.

IMG_7503_FizzzleFizzzzzzle

Participant

Thank you very much Keelin. I just had some luck with an extraordinary sunset with contrails. Fizzzzzle is more than fun to share. A perfect abstract in rectangular balance.

At the same occasion I spotted next one (and others to follow later). The difference in color between the two trails is striking. I am still looking for a good explanation why one turns red – like it is supposed to do at sunset – and the other is blue. Who can unravel this mystery?

2018-03-03 Luchten_0352 asr c klein

Participant

After  an unsolved mystery so far (who will come up with an answer?), new Contrail Madness with a bit of seasoning.

2018-03-03 Luchten_0385 asr klein uitsnede

Participant

Very nice shots, Hans and Keelin and Hans again.

Hans, I cannot explain what you are showing in the last one, except for the birds. A contrail twisted into a spiral? And what is that glowing point, the sun or a dog?

In the meantime, Mr Crow finally paid me a visit. I am calling this “Morse or smoke signals”.

morse_or_smoke_signals

Participant

Ha, congrats George with your first Crow. I am sure more will follow.

Indeed you see a contrail twisted into a spiral on my last Contrail Madness. I saw today Ian posted my overview of the situation on the gallery. Take a look and you will see the spiral in its surroundings. You can see that the bright spot is no dog but just a relatively more bright spot in the picture where two spirals cross. Taken with the tele (400 mm) showing no context may give a different impression.

The whole scenery was quite surreal: the twisted trail in the sunset, the shadows and even a rather blue trail in this red colored scenery. The picture on the gallery has no changes, but when I do some photo shopping (as I did on the first Contrail Madness), the results are surprising. The enhanced ones are the ones I can share here. I posted one on the B&W thread. More later.

Next one is different.

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0018 an klein

Simple

Participant

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0046 B&W uitsnede ac ns36-255 klein

Strange Device

Participant

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0051 B&W uitsnede an klein ns92-255

Unreadable

Participant

Hans, I cannot decide between strange beings and strange alphabet. Anyway, how did you get the black background?

Participant

Sorry it took some time before I was able to answer George. I got the black background by firstly converting the pictures into black and white and giving them extra contrast. At that point I was almost there. Only some whitish blur was left over. To my surprise I could make the background completely black without wiping out the interesting trails by adjusting the levels in photoshop on the dark side of the graphic. Et voila. Surrealism is just around the corner. Champolion would have liked to decipher the message on the last one I suppose.

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0046 B&W uitsnede ac ns36-255 klein collage klein

Metamorphosis

Participant

Thanks you, Hans, I’ll try. No worries about the delayed response. I noticed a shot of yours in France in the cloud stream, so I suppose you have been traveling. Hope you have more good shots to share.

Participant

Haha, you spotted me well in France George. On the B&W thread you will find a French B&W, on the Halos and rainbows thread a french rainbow and on the color thread a french untitled one. All taken last week.

2018-02 Luchten_0167 uitsnede asr klein

And I told you not to leave any trace!

Participant

2018-03-03 Luchten_0368 ac sch8 klein

…. and wiping the trail out wasn’t very successful

Participant

Hans, your contrail shots are truly extraordinary and a great joy to behold — in any shape and every color! Someday I hope to catch something even close to what you’ve shared here or some captivating CVI. That will be a lucky day as it seems so seldom that I spot contrails. When they do appear, I stand very still, gazing upward, waiting to see what will become of them. And sometimes in my peripheral vision, I catch strangers gazing at me and likely wondering…

And congratulations, George, on capturing your first Crow! You renew my own hopes.

IMG_8089_Disappearing ActDisappearing Act

Participant

Thank you Keelin for kind words. It is nice to know you like my pictures. And so do I like yours as well. No need to be modest about them at all, I should say. Your Disappearing Act is great having a shadow cast just in line with the trail itself.  And being in the neighborhood of lot of air traffic might be an advantage in finding nice situations with contrail, but these trails can also spoil the scenery very well. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Be sure some day Crow shows up.

2018-01 Luchten_0175 asr klein

High Over

Participant

2018-04 Wolken_0067 uitsnede B&W ac klein

Let us follow this trail!

Participant

This is mine from about 5/2007. What is at the bottom right (I don’t know).

Participant

Hygge, what’s at the bottom right of your picture is the moon.

Hans, I love your “let’s follow this trail” shot.

Participant

Thank you George. I was puzzled about the horseshoe-like cloudlet on the picture by Hygge, but you are right, it must be the moon. Also a nice cirrus scenery Hygge.

2018-04-21 Charigny_0197 asr klein

Up And Away

Participant

Love the peppered path you discovered, Hans! Eager to follow it Up and Away through enticing feathery skyscapes. Packing light and ready to travel…

IMG_7181_In Either DirectionIn Either Direction

Participant

Haha, in either direction the journey will be fun. Love your interpretation Keelin

Here is one that reminded me of the Crow and the illustrious scientist he would like to warn when he saw this one. The trails leaving the chimney with their mysterious wavy shadow are already alarming enough but the misleading normal looking old fashioned antennas could be of an unknown and alien making to track whatever they are looking for……….. Corvidova Where Art Thou!

2018-04-21 Charigny_0247 klein

Participant

Wonderfully mysterious, Hans! Who knows where the Crow flies these days? And while we await his return, we must make our own way.

The straight path below required pressing the camera button without looking — so bright was the sun! I could barely detect the contrail attempting to slice it neatly in half until heavy contrast in post-production gave it a blue tint and a 22˚ hint of halo to the left.

IMG_8966_BisectionBisection

Participant

Thanks Keelin. You are quite right also. And your bisection is really surrealistic although these words seem to contradict itself. Great contrast and so bright!

Here is a realistic one with some play of shadows.

2018-05 Wolken_0010 an klein

Participant

I saw this in the cloudspotter app cloudstream. What would be a good caption?

IMG_0903

Participant

George, while the short list below wouldn’t necessarily make good titles, it was fun thinking of different ways to interpret the image you offered.

Corralling The Cat – or – Catch Me If You Can!
        Path Of The Conductor’s Hand and Baton
        Just Before The Chalk Broke
        Does The Left Hand Know What The Right Hand Is Doing?
        Patiently Listening While A Friend Talks In Circles
        Certain vs. Thinking It Over

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
        Participant

” Put the cork back in the bottle and please keep Both hands on the wheel!”

Participant

Maybe ‘First Drawing’, or ‘After The Show’? Amazing pattern by okedesigner that makes you wonder what the pilot(s) had in mind.

2018-05 Wolken_0028 B&W an klein

Shadowing

Participant

IMG_8859_hanging on

Hanging On

Participant

Your imagination is unmatched Keelin. As well as for captions as for Hanging On in particular. Very funny.

2018-01 Luchten_0158 asr klein

Pointilistic Contrail

Participant

2018-05 Wolken_0107 asr klein

Just  A Matter Of Precision Flying

Participant

2018-05 Wolken_0143-2

Crossing A halo

Participant

Clever titles and wonderful imagery, Hans! Crossing A Halo is a remarkable shot with all the elements and timing coming together in a most fortuitous way.

Over here, it’s been so quiet lately…

IMG_9118_You Could Hear A Pin DropYou Could Hear A Pin Drop

Participant

The title pins the stillness of the image perfectly Keelin. Love it.

2018-04-21 Charigny_0190 an klein

A bit more noisy

Participant

2018-06Wolken_0004-2

How did they manage to do it?

Participant

The real question is: How does Hans do it? That is, how do you manage to capture such amazing images? Further evidence is your fantastic photo appearing on the Gallery today. You must have your antenna well raised to spot these extraordinary sightings. Dank je for sharing them with us, Hans!

IMG_7804_Vibrating AntennaVibrating Antenna

Participant

Dank je wel Keelin. Ik deel ze met veel plezier!

You also have your antenna for nice and strange situations. Do you know what the colorful part comes from? Corona or something else?

2018-06Wolken_0017-2

Levitation

Participant

I’m not quite sure, Hans. It may have just been a bit of iridescence? As for antennae, sometimes I think the strange situations find me! And what’s not to welcome? Often when I ask myself, “How odd is that?” it turns out I’m not actually in this dream we call waking reality and become aware of the possibilities that lucidity offers to the cognizant dreamer (like Levitation!). And if it turns out I’m not dreaming, the wonders of the waking world are no less intriguing (although the possibilities are somewhat more limited).

IMG_8668_THe Shape Of Things To ComeThe Shape Of Things To Come

Participant

Noone can put it better then you did, Keelin. The Shape Of Things To Come being the confirmation. Great composition and title as well!

I saw this fantastic 22 degrees halo guarded by two dogs on the gallery by you. Nice to capture it in perfect symmetry with a parhelic circle cutting the picture in two parts.

2018-06Wolken_0019-3

At Sunset

Participant

Thank you for your kind words, Hans.

At Sunset absolutely shimmers! Its as if the sky were a smooth coppery surface with the dramatic lines of the contrail etched into them. Love this image! I must say this thread has truly brought those linear, sometime squiggly, sometimes cryptic lines in the sky to life for me. Now my eye catches on the tiniest of them, especially when they streak by like a delicate meteor above more formidable formations of cloud.

IMG_8644_Tiny contrail

And here’s a funny side note I shared with Gavin about that halo on the gallery: Just as I was taking the photo, a fellow getting out of his car next to me asked, “What is it you’re seeing?” I’d only begun to explain when he smiled widely and said, “Ah! So that’s what the fellow on the radio was just talking about with the ice crystals and, and, and… cloud appreciation!” He’d just been listening to a repeated broadcast of Gavin’s interview with Michael Krasny. How auspicious for a halo to be present at that very moment!

Participant

Alec inspired us Keelin. At the start of the foirst contrail thread I could not expect so much variety on the theme. From large to tiny meteors like in your last picture. It better stays above the formidable formations.

I like the story about the moment you pictured the 22 degrees halo! I think we all had our moments that surprised bystanders asked what you are looking at. It makes your day. Always positive reactions. In this case the coincidence of the broadcast makes it even fantastic.

2018-06 Wolken_0043-2-2

Escher was here yesterday evening and left a first attempt to sketch the Penrose triangle.

Participant

Escher would be fascinated by this image, Hans. As am I! Love the mind-bending illusion you’ve captured here.

Participant

That same day this shadow appeared of a contrail. The shadow seems to refuse to go to the right and keeps stubbornly tracking forward.

2018-06 Wolken_0046-2

Participant

The shadow of the contrail above seems to be broken and somewhat later it even shows better. The discontinuity in the track the shadow follows proofs the existence of different layers of cirrostratus on which the shadow is cast.

2018-06 Wolken_0047-2

Participant

And talk about mind-bending! Truly extraordinary, Hans. These come right off the screen with their shadowy illusion.

Participant

IMG_9484_To Write In The Sand With A Moonbeam In HandTo Write In The Sand With A Moonbeam In Hand

Participant

That is a lovely image you sketch in the sand Keelin.

Here Archimedes must have left his moonbeam-drawings in the sand.

2017-10-18 Wolken_0008 asr klein

Participant

2018-06 Wolken_0232-3

Measuring the shoe-size

Participant

2018-06 Wolken_0247-3

Fitting in the pattern

Participant

From Archimedes to Measuring The Shoe Size (would that be for Herme’s?) to Fitting In The Pattern, your captured contrails are fabulous, funny and fine (art), Hans. The one above has elements reminiscent of sea and shooting star. What a winning combination.

IMG_8488_A Ripple In TideA Ripple in Tide

Participant

Thank you for kind words Keelin. For some reason contrails over here seem to audition to get pictured (I borrow this figure of speech from Michael) especially at sunset.

Love your Ripple in Tide. Speaking it out fast even gives an ambiguity in the title.

2018-02 Luchten_0515 asr c klein

Participant

2018-07 Wolken_0019-2

Within a broad contrail there seem to have developed some tiny virga streaks

Participant

Like the former situation, now in B&W and closer-up.

2018-07 Wolken_0024-2

Participant

These distant and close-up shots are intriguing, Hans, and in B&W, something is added to the mystery of those bits of Virga. They seem, almost organically, aiming to wrap themselves around something more solid than cloud matter.

Spotted what was left of this one yesterday…

IMG_9961_Frayed CLoud ConnectorFrayed Coud Connector

Participant

Frayed Cloud Connector is ingenious Keelin. Love it.

2018-07 Wolken_0124-3

Strange Crossings

Participant

Those Strange Crossings create a wonderful illusion, Hans — like a magic act that defies the laws of Nature. I’m watching closely, expecting some part of it to shift if I dare blink. At some point, I must expect the inevitable.

IMG_0120_A Small Break In ConcentrationA Small Break In Concentration

Participant

Very witty and a quite surrealistic Break, Keelin.

2018-01 Luchten_0192 klc klein

How To Get Concentration Back?

Participant

Your image describes it so well, Hans – the untethered meanderings of the wandering mind!

Participant

2018-06 Wolken_0014-2

No Passeran

Participant

And yet…!

IMG_9935_BW_An Unexpected Opening OpeningAn Unexpected Opening

Participant

I should have known you can’t be stopped Keelin. Nevertheless unexpected so soon. Very nice.

What do you think of this contrail splitter (recognize the paradise bird?).

2018-07 Wolken_0089-2

Participant

What a dramatic shot, Hans! And look out, Paradise Bird — contrail splitting is risky business! But whatever happens, I believe quick regeneration is possible for such a fine feathered ethereal creature. IMG_9963_Paradise LostParadise Lost?
      (But only its tail feathers. Well, maybe a bit more, but I’m sure it will all grow back in no time.)

Participant

Paradise found Keelin! On another thread I saw already some very colorful and beautiful feathers grow like you predicted.

A different bird?

2018-06 Wolken_0025-4

Hello mr. Crow, long time no see.

Participant

Looks like a different alphabet, Hans.

Participant

Wow, Hans, what a gorgeous image! And, indeed, George, this could be spelling something out. If I squint really hard, I think I can read it: Hoi, Mr. Stocker, leuk je weer te zien!

Participant

Haha, thank you both. Great you deciphered the code Keelin!

Here is one I took yesterday at sunset and I immediately thought about a question George put forward some time ago: can castellanus develop and be spotted on contrail?

I remember Alec Jones answered ‘why not’, contrail is after all a cloud like any other. This picture seems to answer with an aye. The plane in front does not leave a trail but what’s behind it, is an older contrail grown large. Any opinions?

2018-07 Wolken_0419-2

Castellanus: aye or nay?

Participant

I am curious for George´s opinion on the former picture with the supposed castellanus. Now one without plane.

2018-07 Wolken_0421 klein

Participant

Hi Hans, sorry I missed your first posting. Here the contrail seems to be evolving into undulatus, maybe even k-h, though that’s a bit of a stretch. Another piece of the contrail puzzle.

I used to think of contrails as cloud pollution. Then as abstract art. Now I’m thinking of them as probes into the atmosphere.

Wanted to also say that I like the one with the plane. I like the contrast between the sharpness of the plane on the fuzzy background of the clouds. Did you play with the focus?

BTW, you are obviously using a serious telephoto, I think you said it does up to 400mm. Do you use a tripod for these shots?

Participant

Hi George, thanks for answering. I was just curious about your opinion about the supposed castellanus. Your answer surprises me.  I will think about it and continue to watch out for other occasions. Maybe this discussion about contrail seems a bit far fetched, but first of all fun while studying all kind of appearances of this homogenitus kind of cloud.

My thoughts about contrail seemed to have undergone a bit of the same evolution like your thoughts. First I thought of it as a nuisance polluting the scenery in the sky, but since Alec started a contrail thread I got interested in it for its own beauty and abstract figures they can form. Still not always beautiful, but nevertheless more than I held as possible.

I did not play with focus btw. The picture with the plane is taken with a 1000th to avoid unsharpness by movement and the tele was supported just by the windowsill (although I have a tripod when necessary).  I also take pictures this way without support of anything when using the 400 mm. Seems to work well enough.

To be continued.

Participant

A parhelic arc and a contrail together giving the perfect natural geometry of a circle and a straight line.

2018-07 Wolken_0107-2

Participant

Good timing and a keen eye on the sky have rewarded you again, Hans! That little gap in the trail above, along with your reply to George about thoughts undergoing evolution, brought to mind Donovan Leitch’s song “First There Is A Mountain”. The image below illustrates an adaptation of his famous koan lyrics.

IMG_4233_First There Is A ContrailFirst There Is A Contrail, Then There Is No Contrail, Then There Is

Participant

I had to dig in my memories for this one Keelin. Fun to hear that song again and a very clever and funny association you made.

2018-08 Charigny_0034-2

Rush Hour

Participant

Well, that has to be the loveliest Rush Hour I’ve ever seen, Hans. I will try to bring its calm appeal to mind next time I’m grounded in traffic. Does a dashed line mean I can change lanes?

IMG_0366_Blue Wall of Sky, White Chalk of CloudBlue Highway

Participant

Ah yes Keelin, a dashed line means you can change lanes. Your Blue Highway is an inviting road to go.

Here is a lane at sunset. Unfortunately no possibility to change lanes.

2018-09 Charigny_0058-2

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Arizona Contrail #11

dec2816b9463

Viewing 87 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.