Cloudscapes Volume VII

Cloudscapes Volume VII

Forums The Cloud Forum Cloudscapes Volume VII

Viewing 99 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

As Duncan noted at the wrap of Volume VI, the clouds on International Cloud Appreciation Day did not disappoint for many sky observers across the globe. Even those who found a blank blue canvas above expressed gratitude for what comes and goes, forms and flows on the whims of winds and wishes. What new visions await us in Volume VII? Here’s a start with a cloudscape that looks as if a leafy tree was employed as a sky artist’s paintbrush.

IMG_2906_Sky Artist's Paintbrush

Ruth Quist avatarRuth Quist
      Participant

Keelin, thanks for starting up a new volume.  I did enjoy the international day.  I saw yours too.  I just didn’t see any dramatic clouds that day.  Very fun to contribute.  Happy autumn.  Just having some color changes and cooler temps.

Always A Bike RideP1120259 (2)

Participant

Inviting scene, Ruth! And that path looks like it would make a wonderful ride. Hopefully one that is smoother than this textured sky.

IMG_3224_Rough Road Ahead

Rough Road Ahead

Duncan Bulman avatarDuncan Bulman
      Participant

Sometimes we say that we got booted out of a thermal – this must be the culprit.

IMG_20220928_144311

Participant

What a difference a day makes, 24 little hours

From this to…

IMG_20220929_155606

this

IMG_20220930_085941

Participant

Keelin, rough road could be a nice bowl of cottage cheese.  Yum.

Duncan, great skies for you to ride.

Hoping I caught the Big Curl.  Only May Be. P1120995 (2)

Jill Zignego avatarJill Zignego
      Participant

Highway clouds…..CAB8FFEF-710F-4A7D-B032-D33364F1DA3B

Participant

Quite a boot there, Duncan! Glad you made it down safely. And a dramatic skyful you captured along the highway, Jill.

Ruth, it sure looks like you caught those curls just in time. We all know how quickly clouds move…

IMG_3264_Heartless? Not for long!

Heartless? Not for long! ;)

Participant

Jill, your highway clouds are a moving along.  I can feel a cool breeze too.

Keelin, a deck of hearts.  The sky does love you.

Looking back a few years, always about the ride and now it’s about the clouds.P1020676 (2)

Participant

IMG_20221028_140048

Participant

Duncan, you are so correct.  Cloud spotting can happen with any activity.  Super cool photo above.  Abstract with tons of textures.

Wide Load

P1044470 (2)

Participant

May be a Fluctus snuck in the scene.P1060742 (2)

Participant

You’re so right, Duncan. It can be both—and what a wild ride your latest photo looks to be. Fabulous and other worldly.

And Ruth, the road certainly beckons seductively, Wide Load fits its title well, and I think a curling iron is evident in your latest.

IMG_1635_Moonball

Moonball

Participant

After a foggy morning the sky turned to this.  In the centre is a fallstreak hole, this is the second of two that appeared within about an hour of each other.

IMG_20221113_151736

Participant

Great photo, Duncan! Leave it to fog to lift the curtain on a surprising cloudscape. Glad you were in the audience.

IMG_3520_Fan Dance

Fan Dance

Participant

Keelin, boy do I have a vision of a fan dancer.  Lovely photo plus I think I see a dog with a ball.  Let’s all play.

Duncan.  I have yet to see a fallstreak hole.  Can’t wait.  Very interesting picture.

Spinning TopP1120696 (2)

Participant

Settling InP1130187 (2)

Participant

Dancing In The StreetP1011662 (2)

Participant

Ruth, you’ve really captured the vast beauty in those your Montana cloudscapes! Settling In is especially captivating. I can feel the cool dampness of those low clouds.

IMG_3558_Old Paintbrushes!

Old Paintbrushes

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Love the mountains as always Ruth. And Keelin your old paintbrushes seem to have painted the sky marvelously.

Here is a cloudscape from a few miles from my house. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_20220526_131349135-min

Growing

Participant

Thanks, Gregory! And what a sky full of promise you’ve captured in Growing. The landscape has the look of a vineyard. Will the water that falls there eventually become wine?

IMG_3564_Felicitations

Felicitations

Participant

Keelin you always capture the beauty of clouds.  Soft and inspiring.

Gregory, your photo is just plain luscious.  Wonderful landscape.

Moonscape

P1045024 (2)

Participant

Thanks, Ruth! And what a gorgeous moon shot you captured there. I can imagine it held you in place for awhile, even though the night air may have been rather cool.

We are having wild, wet weather here in California. Feeling very grateful to not be situated in the zones that are currently flooding while my heart goes out to those not so fortunate. Mother Nature is definitely in charge!

IMG_3861_Wet & Wild cloudscape
      Wet & Wild

Participant

Keelin, hoping you are not in a flood state yourself.  Just awful week in CA weather history.  But you caught a grand photo which made the gallery.  I grew up in Sacramento so I still follow the west coast happenings.

Quiet HereP1120916 (2)

Participant

Thanks, Ruth. Fortunately not in a flood zone, but know others who have had to evacuate. Too much of a good thing all at once here on the west coast. Quiet Here looks so peaceful!

IMG_3864_Got Rain Boots?

Got Rain Boots?

Participant

Keelin  Got rain boots is so correct with all that water in CA.  The roads are a mess.  We had bad floods last spring and wiped out roads in Yellowstone.

Filling Up The Sky P1044324 (2)

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

an Arizona Cloudscape

june2921b4263Nim

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape#2

jul3022b7829scape

Participant

Michael, love your last two photos.

Dinner Plates On The MoveP1020221 (2)

Participant

A sky full of lennys! cool! Thx Ruth!

Cloudscape #3

july3022b7912scape

Participant

Got room for more on those great dinner plates? Love the latest servings.

IMG_3827_Blotchy Blues

Blotchy Blues

Participant

Keelin, love the tree and shades of blue.

Michael, #3 must be a pileus you captured.  Cool shot.

Last of the Plates

P1020210 (2)

Participant

Move On OverP1055333 (2)

Participant

Ruth, I love the smooth glide of that Last Plate slipping into place. A quiet scene compared to the buildup happening above.

In between storms in Santa Cruz (California) last week, there was this view from the wharf where a great exchange was taking place—clouds becoming sea as sea became cloud.

IMG_4062_The Meeting Place

The Meeting Place

Participant

Keelin, I love your sky meets water.  A perfect blend.  Hope it was a fun trip.

Heading West (actually to the ocean)P1130044 (2)

Robert Pearson avatarRobert Pearson
      Participant

First post and not sure of procedure yet. I’m also beginning with cloud ID. Cirrus but what kind and maybe cirrocumulus at the bottom?IMG_2309 (2a2)

Lisa Watters avatarLisa Watters
      Participant

Like  many across America, we have been buried in snow this Winter.  Now the sun is peeking out.  I love how these clouds hug the mountainside; they still have a little snow left to drop.12-28

Participant

Just your typical downtown cloud…. WA state.

IMG_6570 (3a2)

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Great cloudscapes Robert. I already noticed you found the part of the Forum dedicated to cloud identification, but here you have also posted a cirrus sky with the question what kind of cirrus there are in your first post here. It s not an easy one in my opinion. To begin with the streaks of cirrus perpendicular to each other betray the duplicatus variety of cirrus being present at different levels in the sky. It may seem a bit arbitrary but I see a lot of different kinds of cirrus: fibratus, uncinus, intortus and vertebratus as well. The woolly tufts at the bottom of the image seem to me altocumulus, being too large to be cirrocumulus. I am curious for other opinions.

Participant

The cloud in the post at 7:00 a.m. was just part of a really huge cloud formation with different compoments. I’ll post 4 photos showing different apsects of the entire cloud. This first one was taken at my house (the earlier one was about a mile away in town). This firt photo shows parts of four major components, which all seemed to be tied together.

IMG_6559 (2a)

Participant

This photo shows the part of the cloud that was at the top of the formation from this viewpoint. I was looking almost straight up.

IMG_2610 (2a)

Participant

This is a pan photo, which is why there is a curve, and shows just 2/3 to 1/2 of the entire cloud left to right.

IMG_6568 (2a)

Participant

And finally I had to drive back downtown and then several miles out to get a good photo of one end of th cloud formation. I hope iy was okay to approach it like this. Each photo is kinda cool on it’s own merit, and there was no way I could get eve close to the entire could formation in oe photo.

IMG_6579 (2a)

Participant

Holy cow! Multiple lenticular clouds with one doozy. Washngton, USA.

0W0A0411 (2a)

Participant

Robert, a big welcome to you and your incredible photos.  Before I forget, you should consider sending your above photo to the gallery or cloud-a-day.  It is out of this world!!  Hope you are enjoying posting on the forums.  I love the forums for sharing and learning.  There is some humor too.

Sliver Of LightP1022311 (2)

Participant

Clouds in the belfry.

IMG_6128 (3a)

Participant

Hi Ruth. I’m really enjoying going through all the great cloud photos on the forums. I’m  a little lost on what the different categories are for, like the cloud a day and gallery. I’m not sure what is appropriate for each. I’m still learning the clouds and have many I’m unsure of, like in this photo.

0W0A2701 (3a)

Participant

Robert, your photos are definitely exciting.  I am fairly new to cloud spotting myself.  I would take a guess that your recent clouds maybe cirrus.  If you haven’t already purchased ” The Cloud Collector’s Handbook by Gavin, it is a great and constant recourse for me.  I bought my copy on Amazon for around $13.  The cloud library on this website is dandy too.  Keep them pictures coming.  You will meet some fun folks that are witty and knowledgeable.

A Small CakeP1110380 (2)

Participant

Up Up And AwayP1100027 (2)

Participant

Thanks, Ruth! Hope your visit to the ocean was a fun trip for you too. Sliver of Light is quite a delight, and Small Cake has no calories, right?

Lookinup, your snowy scene reminds me of x-country skiing days. What a great view!

And Robert, welcome — so delighted you are posting to the Forum topics. You have a keen eye for clouds in their many forms of splendor no matter what category they happen to fall within.

Here in northern California, we’re ready for more of the wet stuff.

IMG_4309_Expecting Another Downpour

Expecting Another Downpour

Participant

For those who enjoy a playful sense of pareidolia, you might find a puppy about to splash into a rain puddle below (may be easier to see when the image is made smaller).

IMG_4307_Puppy in a Puddle

Ariel Kotker avatarAriel Kotker
      Participant

Some absolute beauties on here! I’m so thankful for everyone sharing their sights.

Just before sunrise this morning, this wispy bit floated by what I guess is an upper perihelion and a faint sun pillar, beaming out a crepuscular ray from the other side. BA9E5BC1-6951-454B-82CD-824732B09A2F

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape

july3022b7837scape

Participant

potpouri0W0A5344 (3a)

Participant

I posted this in Contrails and don’t know if posting in two threads is okay, but the photo seemed worthy of a cloudscape post. In addition to the contrail there is a very symmetrical and smooth lenticular cloud above Mt Rainier, and really interesting background clouds. What the background clouds may be, I don’t know.0W0A6549 (2b)

Participant

Robert, both photos are stunners.  Your latest is a mouth dropper!  I will guess your clouds in question could be Altostratus if it is a mid-level cloud.  Another member may have a better idea.  So glad you joined the forums.  Your photos are a real treat.

A Variety PackP1130597 (2)

Participant

Thanks Ruth. I’m really glad to have found the society. It’s a lot of fun looking at all the photos and posting too. Everyone haas great photos! The closer you look at clouds, the more you find. I like photos like your last one that shows different types in the same sky. There are clouds to fit every mood.IMG_4832 (2a)

Participant

Glacier National ParkIMG_0009

Participant

Clouds Having FunP1055441 (2)

Participant

Light behind the clouds0W0A9227 (2a)

Participant

Lenticular clouds with a hint of sunset0W0A2317 lenticular

Participant

Wispy cirrusIMG_5579 (2a) (2)

Participant

Robert, what an impressive lenticular cloud with a hint of sunset. Love it.

Love the play of light in your “Light behind the clouds” too, Ruth.

2023-04 Charigny (21)-1

Stormcloud

Participant

Hans, that was a big fella.

Escape RouteP1090072 (2)

Participant

From delicate to robust, you’ve all been capturing the clouds ways that amaze! Thanks to all for sharing their skyfuls of wonder.

IMG_4823_Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!

Participant

Keelin, those are some hefty clouds.

Weather Moving InP1033258 (2)

Participant

An ominous mood, Ruth.

Here’s some more incoming with wind.IMG_9717 (2-2) (2a)

Participant

Lines in the skyIMG_5259 (2a)

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape

dec0222b8848scp

Participant

Looks like some seriously wet weather heading for Ruth and Robert while Michael gets playful clouds tumbleweeding their way across AZ skies.  Just never know what will roll in.

IMG_3327_Sky Surf

Sky Surf

Participant

Michael, nice clouds you caught.  Keelin, surfs up.  Robert, always mesmerizing photos.

Not HarshP1055927 (2)

Bill Standerfer avatarBill Standerfer
      Participant

Some severe weather on the Colorado Front Range east of Fort Collins a couple of days ago.  The wide view shows the cumulonimbus with a little dust being kicked up in the lower center part of the photo.  The close up view shows a landspout (a non supercell tornado) in open country which, as far as I know, caused no damage.  We see a lot of landspouts in this area during thunderstorm season.

WES_20230606__Z7B2935WES_20230606__Z7B2930

Participant

Thunderstorms building over the Mosquito Range in the Colorado Rockies yesterday from 12,500′.  In the distance is rain falling over Leadville, Colorado.  On the left are the two highest mountains in Colorado, hidden in the clouds.

WES_20230607__Z7B2966

Participant

Bill, stunning photos from your airplane.  That must be the best way to cloud spot!!

Majestic

P1020576 (2)

Participant

Ruth, I love the soft, subtle colors you capture in many your photos. Your recent Asperity’s over Wolf Creek featured on the Gallery has such a quiet beauty.

Bill, thanks for sharing your dramatic skies there. Thunderstorm season sounds exciting!

On a recent flight to Colorado, I was lucky to have window seat…

IMG_4973_In Flight Entertainment

In Flight Entertainment

Participant

Ruth and Keelin, thanks for the comments.  I love to fly around buildups like that before they get too big when I can stay out of them.  You can almost literally reach out and touch them, but they are pretty bumpy inside.  Once they turn into thunderstorms, though, I give them a wide margin.

WES_20180818__8511281 small

Participant

Hi folks, it has been a while.

After so many days of just blue sky over the last few weeks the clouds have once again graced us with their presence and they didn’t disappoint.

Yesterday’s sky over the airfield.  Honestly, the picture doesn’t do it justice it was much more sublime than any photograph can capture.

GRL

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape

may0722b7045art2

Ariel Kotker avatarAriel Kotker
      Participant

BD8DD083-D9FC-404C-977B-447496A7E66A

blue-white-blue

Participant

Nice photos everyone.  Rays, airplanes, and fluffy clouds.

A Green FieldP1020728 (2)

Participant

Soft and Fluffy

P1066131 (2)

Participant

Airbrushed cloudsIMG_1315 Tom

Participant

Anyone have and ID for these unusual clouds?IMG_2303a

Participant

Robert, some nice photos you have going.  I will take a stab at your second capture.  It looks to me like a mammatus cloud formation.  There may be other members who have another thought.

Take The High RoadP1120257 (2)

Participant

A Simple CurlP1055988 (2)

Participant

Big and FluffyP1130970 (2)

Participant

Everywhere and No WhereP1130969 (2)

Participant

Arizona Cloudscape

jan0122b6172art

Inactive

Nice thread!

DSCN2050downsize

Devon, UK 1/09/23

Participant

Tony, nice to have you join the thread.  Lovely photo.                              Vast is the SkyIMG_20230913_100627883

Participant

The Glob

P1140155 (2)

Inactive

Thanks Ruth. That’s definitely a glob – we get them here. This one’s curly.DSCN2339

Participant

Wow, nice work, everyone!

IMG_5088_Colorado Cloudscape

Colorado Cloudscape

Participant

Tony, once again a great capture in your curly one.

Keelin, Colorado sky in showing quite the dance.

Yep, Saucers.P1140178 (2)

Participant

Roll Up The CarpetP1140317 (2)

Participant

I scrolled a lot back before posting a new cloudscape and enjoyed amazing cloudscapes by all. I just want to mention Robert Pearson with his ‘Lenticular clouds with a hint of sunset’. I love that one in particular. Did you ever consider to send this one (or another) to the gallery to share it with a lot more members, Robert? Find the “Sumit an image” button at the top right of the gallery page. I look certainly forward to your contributions(s?). The mamma you spotted is also quite remarkable.

2023-09 Thedirac (170)-1

Crown

Participant

Hans, some mamma in your shot.  Exciting photo.

The MushroomP1066856 (2)

Participant

Ruth, can you send your Saucers over here? I love how you caught that gentle light and soft blue below their hovering features. Beautiful!

And Hans, your Crown is a glorious celebration!

IMG_5663_Soft Clouds Late In The Day

Soft Clouds Late In The Day

Participant

Keelin, looking like a fine morning in your soft clouds.  Maybe some spirits dancing too.

Morning DramaP1011385 (2)

Sometimes I look up and am amazed at the sheer size of clouds

MI #1
      20230922_163439

MI #2
      20230922_163533

Viewing 99 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.