clouds over lake at sunset

clouds over lake at sunset

Forums The Cloud Forum clouds over lake at sunset

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      Catherine Morris avatarCatherine Morris
      Participant

Last night I attended program at the Aldrich Museum in Ridgefield, CT, US and thoroughly enjoyed Gavin’s talk and presentation. I’ve enjoyed clouds forever and am so glad to have found this forum. We have beautiful clouds passing by our lake all the time and look forward to sharing and seeing what others capture  as well. I snapped this photo while out kayaking earlier this week.

8 October 2019, 6:03  pm, Brewster, NY, US8 Oct 2019

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Beautiful sunset, Catherine.

Participant

30 September 2019, 5:51 pm, Brewster, NY, US – a very different cloud experience here:

20190930_192423

Participant

Grounded. 27 September 2019, 7:24 AM. Brewster, NY, US.

September 27 2019

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Wow, Catherine, your photos are beautiful and evocative! Do you have formal training in the arts? They show a keen eye for composition. And what type of camera do you use? Thank you for posting them on the forum, and hope to see more images from you in the future.

Participant

Keelin, thank you for the kind words. I have no formal training in the visual arts (I’m a writer). However, I love the outdoors and capturing images – the pictures posted above were taken with my mobile phone camera (Samsung Galaxy S8).

Liangjun Ling avatarLiangjun Ling
      Participant

I like this shot!dreamlike place!

Participant

Sun dogs. 19 October 2019, 4:59 PM. Brewster, NY, US.20191019_165947

Participant

Very nice catch. The clouds have been conducive to optical phenomena today in the NY area. Someone I know spotted a CZA in Queens and I saw one in Milford, PA.

Participant

Another gorgeous photo from you, Catherine! Thank you for sharing it with us.

A few days ago. I was lucky to catch a very subtle “smile” (near top of photo) in the mid-morning skies over Napa. This CZA moved quickly along, but held me motionless for the duration of its appearance. I’ll post a closer look on the Optical Phenomenon topic which is devoted to such wonders. Many amazing images on that thread!

IMG_5293_CZA_A Subtle Smile

Participant

Keelin, a wisp in time! Lovely. I’ve been walking into objects myself – afraid I’ll miss something in the sky. Thank you for directing me to the optical phenomenon topic in the forum.

Participant

Sweeping giants. 20 October 2019, 8:02 AM. Brewster, NY, US.

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 12.42.33 PM

Participant

So much movement in the sky today. 26 October 2019, 12:34 PM. Brewster, NY, US.

20191026_123457

Participant

Catherine, lovely brush strokes, like an abstract painting. I too found last Saturday to be good sky day. Here is what I was seeing for a short while near Milford PA, though things were changing rapidly. With clouds, it’s the moment. (Or it’s the pictures.)

bythedelaware

Participant

gvpreo, I love the reflection in your photo. Thanks for sharing.

Participant

Mask emerging from these swiftly evolving clouds. Fleeting image. (post Halloween appropriate :) 1 November 2019, 12:17 PM. Brewster, NY, US.

20191101_141611

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Very nice pictures in this thread Catherine. Thanks for sharing. Also by Keelin and George (especially the mirroring one).

Here a typical Dutch contribution from the archives to this thread.

2018-07 Wolken_0339-3

With Windmill

Participant

Thank you, Hans. And thank you for your post…a contrast of menacing sky with rays of light and hope at the same time. Love the windmill.

Participant

When the lake is flat and the clouds are reflected in the water, the sky appears to double in size. 5 November 2019, 6:56 AM. Brewster, NY, US.

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.04.12 AM

Participant

Catherine, your Clouds Over Lake photos are a beautiful and inspiring addition to the forum topics. I love the different moods reflected (no pun intended) in the images you’ve captured. Have you submitted them to Ian (CAS’s photo editor) for submission to the Gallery? If not, I whole-heartedly encourage you to do so.

And George, your photo above is a beauty in depth as well. Those tiny leaves floating on the water give such a sense of moment and season.

Hans, I love your windmill image. One can imagine its spin creating the wind that propels those clouds racing above.

Participant

Keelin, please see my response in post below – just getting the hang of this posting business.

Participant

Keelin, thank you for your encouragement. I did forward a couple photos over the past couple of weeks to the gallery and they did not get picked up. I can only imagine the volume of images sent to Ian from all over the world.

On my walk this evening, the scene from the beach was a stark contrast to yesterday morning and so I offer up: “And then there were none” 6 November 2019, 5:00 PM. Brewster, NY, US. The crystal clear skies only make the clouds such a treat when they appear.

20191106_191023

Participant

I love this collage Catherine. Beautiful contrast between the two capture.

Participant

Thank you, Hans. It was pure luck/unintentional to capture nearly the same perspective on two different days. As I was comparing shots from the two days, I made the discovery and the contrast struck me, I went to line them up on my phone collage feature and there you have it.

Participant

If I were to rename this forum it would be simply “Clouds over lake.” As you see, I’ve strayed from sunset-specific captures :-)

Participant

Distant chain of clouds. A couple in the middle look like flying saucers to me :-) 8 November 2019, 4:24 PM. Brewster, NY, US.

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 5.55.25 AM

Participant

Last night, the white puff of a cloud caught my eye, especially in contrast to the pink background. 12 November 2019, 5:11 PM. Brewster, NY, US.

20191112_171155

Participant

Very nice!  In New York City we had the much hyped cold front go through yesterday afternoon (like you did), which created lots of cloud spotting opportunities. Here is one sight from downtown Manhattan.

IMG_3903

Participant

gvpreo, powerful image. Thank you for capturing and sharing. I remember that view from my days working in the World Financial Center – in the 90s. We had similar activity up here – I offer another view 12 November 2019, 5:12 PM. Brewster, NY, US.Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 11.31.19 AM

Participant

On a rare work-week mid-day walk, looked up to see this wisp of an elf skiing through the clouds over the lake. 14 November 2019, 10:52 AM. Brewster, NY, US.

20191114_105311

Participant

Love your Elf Catherine and also the other views you posted here. George posted also a magnificent view over Hudson bay and a second one of the same situation on the OFF TOPIC. George, you are privileged having such views from where you work.

Catherine, your lovely squadron of flying saucers reminded me of an old series of which I already used some elsewhere except for this one. It was a friendly visit I must say.

2018-03 Luchten_0069 uitsnede asr klein

Participant

Lovely continuing additions to this thread, Catherine, George, Hans! They prompted a search into the archives here for something to contribute, which is where I found the photo below, taken a few years ago on a visit to Alaska, along with musings from even further past.

The Liminal Wake Of Memory

When we are gone like the wind
      what do you suppose might hold the shape
      of our having ever been here?
      After the breeze has swept the pond
      and the water stills once more
      is it not yet forever changed?
      In a moment of silent reflection
      and with each new shiver of bliss
      will it recall the entire history of clouds
      that danced upon its surface
      in the liminal wake of its memory?

Participant

Keelin, beautiful sunset band. But to prosaically answer the poem’s rhetorical question, I think no. It’s all here and now. Photographs help, but don’t do full justice.

This being said, I have a few to show. To complete the cycle with the impressive November 13 sunset, here is how the sky looked a little later by me:

IMG_3936_c

And then, the sunset I missed, two days later, from the same vantage point. Luckily two of my colleagues captured it. They allowed me to post their shots. Ah, that sun pillar …

IMG_20191114_165009IMG_3956

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Your musings are worthy of a title, Keelin?

Participant

Thank you for kind words, Hygge. Were they more than musings, I’d be tempted to add one. But then they might take on the feel of writings complete, permanently penned and pinned down. Title-unbound, they’re free to float about in my mind, capricious and cloudlike in their own way.

Participant

Your lovely and well written musings  and words deserve a tribute in the shape of a pictured sunset Keelin. In your own words: capricious and cloudlike. And the other contributions by Catherine, and George as well.

2016-08-01 Wolken_0048 klein
      Poetry In The Sky

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker.
      Participant

Danke je, Hans, and what a stunningly beautiful image you’ve shared here—poetry, indeed! I am transfixed by the extraordinary color and lighting. Also appreciate the brilliant sunset series, George.

Ah, see what you’ve started, Catherine? ;)  I imagine it might be too cold there now for you to venture out to your beautiful lake. I hope you can return soon and that everyone is keeping warm.

The photo below was posted originally to the Cloudscapes topic, but I share it again here for the joy of illusion. It may look like a waterscape, it is all sky (with a bit of foreground foliage).

IMG_8397_Lac du NuagesLac du Nuages

Participant

Thanks in return Keelin. You are right the lake thread that Cathrine started is inspiring. And your Lac du Nuage is so applicable in this thread! Compliments with that one for the second time. Love it.

Participant

Catching up with stunning contributions above – both photos and prose! Glad to see the forum marched on in my absence. Today, a mid-day walk, lakeside, filled me up again with stunning cloud images, including this one, 7 January 2020, 10:59 AM. Brewster, NY, US.

20200107_115915

Participant

Welcome back, Catherine! And what a dramatic photo you’ve returned with from your recent lakeside walk. Looks like a LOT was going on there that morning.

In contrast, below is a quiet image (from archives here) of cool, pristine Alaskan waters offering a soft reflection.

42_Cloud Reflection

Participant

Keelin, greetings. Your photo captures “calm” beautifully. I especially love the refection, ethereal and other-worldly. Contrasts in the sky, moment to moment and sometimes dramatically day by day make it exciting to wake up and see what’s in the sky. I find myself looking up and stopping more often. What a gift.

Participant

Thank you, Catherine! Indeed, the sky can display so many moods in a single day, it’s good to have a flexible neck.

Below, a ribbon of fog unties a cool morning in calm northern waters (again from the archives).

31_Fog Ribbon

Participant

Keelin, your Lac Du Nuage is a wonderful trompe l’oeil but the lat two from you are real for sure and they both express beautiful quiescence and peace. love it.

This thread seems to be meant for reflections and specifically for those from the waters. No reflection from a lake, sea or a different large surface in this case, but just from a small ditch.

IMG_2843

Participant

Hello, Hans! Thank you for sharing your “ditch” photo…clouds, water and light = magic. Your post reminded me of an image I captured in Antarctica in 2013 as the sun was setting over the water — and I went back and found it. These moments – yours, Keelin’s and others — are simply mesmerizing. And sometimes it is just a moment and then the world (and the clouds and light) move on.

CIMG0335 copy

Participant

More reflections. There’s new ice on the lake, creating a glossy mirror of the sky. 21 January 2020, 1:39 PM. Brewster, NY, US.

2020 Feb 21

Participant

Thank you both for kind comments, Hans and Catherine.

And so right you are, Catherine, about the moment and its magic. Hans’s rosy-ribboned ditch photo and your stunning Antarctic sunset are perfect examples.  Also love your icy lake with the shimmer of light on its surface.

The image below may be a little stretch on the Clouds Over Water theme. ;) The water, in this case, happened to be raindrops that began to fall just as I looked up to capture a bright patch in a darkening sky.

IMG_2713_Clouds Over Raindrops

(Tiny dark spots in the image are some of those first raindrops that fell, having landed right on the camera lens.)

Participant

Oh, Keelin. You’ve captured heaven in your photo. Worthy of being painted. Thank you for posting this image. Love it.

Participant

Thank you for such a kind response, Catherine! Though it may be quite the other way around as I feel it’s the heavens that hold me sway. And had I the talent to paint them, it would surely be an enjoyable endeavor. Alas, not (at least not yet) to be!

Diving again into my archives, I came across this image from Alaska’s Inside Passage. I remember being smitten with that intensely colored, calm, icy sea snuggled up to the dark, rocky land. And then there was this thick, foggy mist of a comforter, laying down its softness, silently sinking into crevices along the shore…

2016-09-12 12.35.39_Mist Land and Icy Sea

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.