Clouds in Nederlands

Clouds in Nederlands

Forums The Cloud Forum Clouds in Nederlands

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrew Bernard avatarAndrew Bernard
      Participant

I assume there are many experts here in the Society who deeply understand the mechanism of cloud formation. Recently I was wondering about the superb clouds that one sees in Nederlands, and especially at the beach and on the coast. Since Nederlands is completely flat it can’t be rising air that causes cloud formation or orographic features, yet you can see the most superb clouds all the time. The clouds are of course famous in the Dutch Golden Age when landscape painters featured them prominently, often even the main subject. Here’s a fine example by Jacob van Ruisdael:

van Ruisdael clouds

I understand the weather in Nederlands is dominated by effects from the Atlantic and the North Sea. Could it be that the cold air coming in forms clouds when it strikes the warm land? They say it rains a lot all the time in Nederlands – obviously due to the copious production of clouds. I’d love to learn more about this.

I live in Melbourne, Australia where it is famous that we have four seasons in one day – a little bit like in the Nederlands.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

That’s great to read about Andrew. I happen to live in the Netherlands and even nearby the church Ruisdael painted with his famous Dutch mountains. I am not an expert on meteorology but  we do have a lot of clouds. I must say we also have sometimes boring blue skies (very recently) when we are in the middle of a anticyclone. The Netherlands are flat indeed and in the right circumstance cumulus will form above warmer land when the wind comes from the sea. Most probably this can happen in the summer.
      Because there are not very significant orographic influences the lenticularis is rather rare to spot over here. Nevertheless they can appear in cases that the waves in which they form carry far. The air conditions must be stable then I suppose.

Melbourne must be great to spot clouds too. I did check the images in the group for Victoria, Australia within the community. Btw: don’t you want to join the group Victoria, Australia too?

Here are some examples of what I recently spotted while walking the dog on the beach. I hope you like them.

2022-04 Wolken (29)-1

Participant

2022-04 Wolken (34)-1

2022-04 Wolken (42)-1

Participant

2022-04 Wolken (45)-12022-04 Wolken (44)-12022-04 Wolken (50)-1

Suzanne Winckler avatarSuzanne Winckler
      Participant

Hans, your dog-walking beach cloudscapes are gorgeous.

Suzanne (Winckler) 41,844

Participant

Thank you Suzanne😊

Duncan Bulman avatarDuncan Bulman
      Participant

Andrew,

Living here in the flatlands of Eastern England we have something similar going on regarding cloud formation and where I live is about 70 miles from the coast. Rising air is absolutely a big player in cloud formation up to a certain height then above that many other factors come into play. The rising warm air will usually form a cloud as it condenses in the cooler air at about 5000 feet and this is what glider pilots look for when searching for thermals to climb in.

This is from the UK met office website.

How do cumulus clouds form?
      All cumulus clouds develop because of convection. As air heated at the surface is lifted, it cools and water vapour condenses to produce the cloud. Throughout the day, if conditions allow, these can grow in height and size and can eventually form into cumulonimbus clouds.

Along coastlines, cumulus may form over land during daylight hours as a sea breeze brings in moist air, which is then warmed by the surface. This effect reverses overnight as the sea becomes warmer than the land and cumulus form over the sea.

What weather is associated with cumulus clouds?
      Mostly, cumulus indicates fair weather, often popping up on bright sunny days. Though if conditions allow, cumulus can grow into towering cumulus congestus or cumulonimbus clouds, which can produce showers.

Participant

This is a perfecta example of cool moist air blowing from the North over the land forming cumulus when the cool air warms and rises above the land. The row of cumulus clouds follows the coast line perfectly.

2022-04 Wolken (92)-1

Looking North

Franz Ossing avatarFranz Ossing
      Participant

Clouds in Dutch painting is a classic. Newest is an exhibition at the Barberini Museum.
      Impressionism clouds and weather in the ‘Hague School’: here’s my latest contribution http://bib.gfz-potsdam.de/pub/wegezurkunst/Impressionismus_holland/The_Hague_School.pdf
      In general, about Dutch skies in painting you may find some info here:http://bib.gfz-potsdam.de/pub/wegezurkunst/start_en.html
      Especially referring to J.v.Ruisdael’s views on Haarlem (the one at the top): “Haarlem’s Crown of Clouds” http://bib.gfz-potsdam.de/pub/wegezurkunst/KAH_Luft/KAH_Luft_E.pdf
      Keep your heads in the clouds, folks!

Participant

Many thanks for sharing this great info Franz, including info about the famous view over Haarlem by Jacob van Ruisdael with which this topic started.

Hans

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.