Clouds 101

Clouds 101

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Debbie Lustig avatarDebbie Lustig
      Participant

I am a beginner and I find learning to identify clouds really difficult and confusing. The names are difficult and the formations are many.

Can anyone give me some advice about learning about clouds?

Many thanks.

Debbie,

Mostly the Latin names refer to the way the cloud look. The ones beginning with Alto- refer mid-level formations, while those beginning with Cirro- or Cirrus are high-level ones. You can see a sort of map of the hierarchy in the summary table of the naming system on the International Cloud Atlas that is published by the World Meteorological Organisation. This shows the ten main types, and how they can be subdivided into more specific forms. You could also take a look at the reference images and descriptions in our free Cloud-a-Day app for more examples.

I hope this helps!

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

Debbie – You might also try a free, downloadable eBook from https://whatsthiscloud.com/         OR

Gavin’s own The Cloudspotter Guide (sorry, not free but not expensive either).

Names are addressed throughout Gavin’s book. The eBook, being shorter, addresses most names on Page 9.

Participant

Thank you, Gavin and Don

Participant

So when you see a cloud, you need to know if it’s high-level or mid-level, before you can look at how it appears?
      Gavin?
      Don?

George Preoteasa avatarGeorge Preoteasa
      Participant

Usually, the shape and the size of the elements will tell you the level. Also, how fast they move. Lower clouds, closer to you, appear to move faster in general.

Deirdre Moore avatarDeirdre Moore
      Participant

Hi Debbie,

If you’re keen to improve your knowledge of clouds, I would recommend Gavin’s other book, The Cloud Collector’s Handbook… small, colourful, concise, clear and very informative, and excellent value (mine was £10 sterling). A wonderful introduction to all things cloud.

Have fun,

Deirdre.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.