Cloud Paintings in National Museum in Oslo?

Cloud Paintings in National Museum in Oslo?

Forums The Cloud Forum Cloud Paintings in National Museum in Oslo?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Emily Klenin avatarEmily Klenin
      Participant

One of my favorite memories of museum-going anywhere is some small paintings of skies, I think mostly done as studies, in a narrow exhibition room in the National Museum in Oslo. The paintings I believe were all by Norwegian artists. The same room had paintings of arctic snow. I have been on the museum’s Website and found other wonderful  cloud paintings, but not the studies I remember.  Does anyone have images that might fit my memory? I cannot get back to Oslo anytime soon and long for these images, with which I spent happy hours in the 1990s. Thank you.

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

That’s a very specific question you have, Emily, but it would be great if you found the answer. I am intrigued so I hope you will let us know here if you find out elsewhere.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed this program which found a new Constable with great clouds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41000338

Participant

Akseli Gallen-Kallela – National Gallery, London to 4FEB2018 (I don’t know how many cloud paintings are on show, The Times says there are four of the lake ‘alongside other atmospheric works’).

Lake Keitele: A Vision of Finland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akseli_Gallen-Kallela#/media/File:Akseli_Gallen-Kallela_-_Pilvi_tornit_(1904).jpg

In the link, scroll down to ‘4  Gallery’ to find ‘Sky, 1904, oil’ (which The Times implies is Lake Keitele).

Participant
      Emily Klenin avatarEmily Klenin
      Participant

Thank you for this wonderful post! It brought the whole exhibition to my attention for the first time; it’s a splendid site. Thank you!

Nigel Okey avatarNigel Okey
      Participant

Hi Emily,

I was in Oslo and Bergen last year.  I don’t recall any cloud photos in the National Gallery in Oslo, but there were some that stuck in my mind in one of the Kode galleries in Bergen (Kode 2, I think), by Johann Christian Dahl, and they fit your description perfectly – small pictures, narrow space.  However, just the one artist.

They struck me as being very like the many sky studies by the English artist John Constable (some of which I saw in a small gallery in Woking about 18 months ago).

I shall find my photos from Bergen and post one or two here, but they are not very good because the lighting was poor.  You might need to be patient…

Regards,

Doctor_NO.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.