Cloud over southeastern Wisconsin

Cloud over southeastern Wisconsin

Forums Cloud Identification Help Cloud over southeastern Wisconsin

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Claire Parrott avatarClaire Parrott
      Participant

Spotted in early August, associated with a supercell between Johnson Creek and Watertown. Any ideas? Many thanks…

august-cloud

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

That one has an amazing shape Claire. I don’t have any clue but I found these pictures of the same event by some googling. The hat-like feature underneath the storm system seems to be at the place where a tornado might originate. Was there any (which I hope not)?supercellsupercell2

Participant

Ahh, great finds, Hans–very cool to see this from other angles! No tornado, but there was a destructive wind later associated with this storm, which was headed to the NE. My dad spotted the cloud at Johnson Creek, and the destruction, associated with the straight-line wind, happened somewhere south of Watertown, within 15 miles of Johnson Creek.

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Since it is coming from a supercell, I would guess that was a wall cloud that you spotted. Did you notice it rotating in any way shape or form? If so, that is most definitely a wall cloud. Excellent capture.

–Greg

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

https://www.photolib.noaa.gov/Collections/National-Severe-Storms-Laboratory/Hail/emodule/462/eitem/340

I second Greg. Stunning picture.

The book Extraordinary Weather by Richard Hamblyn (a CAS Member) 2012 in association with the UK Meteorological Office (it acknowledges Gavin Pretor-Pinney on page 143) has a picture of a Wall Cloud on page 21 from NOAA as above (but not the picture in the link). The text says
      ” A regular feature of supercell storm systems, wall clouds (sometimes known as ‘pedestal clouds’) are isolated lowerings (sic) attached to the bases of storm clouds. They develop when rain-cooled air is pulled towards the mesocyclone (the supercell’s violently rotating core), its moisture condensing at a lower level than the principal cloud itself…..”

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
      Participant

Thank you all so much! This is really interesting, and requires me to re-examine my own definition of a “wall” cloud. Appreciate your help and enthusiasm…my dad, who spotted the cloud, e-mailed back and forth with our local weather service station, but they weren’t as excited as we were. It’s wonderful to get such engaged responses, and to learn a little more about this formation.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.