Community Pages

Please accept our new Terms & Conditions before contributing to our Community Pages. Any content you contribute will be publicly visible. We expect contributors to show respect, courtesy and an appreciation of the atmosphere we all share.

Filter Photos:

You have selected:

Main Cloud Types

Other Clouds

Optical Effects

Miscellaneous

Cloud Identification Help

Cloud over southeastern Wisconsin

Forums Cloud Identification Help Cloud over southeastern Wisconsin

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Claire Parrott avatarClaire Parrott
      Participant

Spotted in early August, associated with a supercell between Johnson Creek and Watertown. Any ideas? Many thanks…

august-cloud

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

That one has an amazing shape Claire. I don’t have any clue but I found these pictures of the same event by some googling. The hat-like feature underneath the storm system seems to be at the place where a tornado might originate. Was there any (which I hope not)?supercellsupercell2

Participant

Ahh, great finds, Hans–very cool to see this from other angles! No tornado, but there was a destructive wind later associated with this storm, which was headed to the NE. My dad spotted the cloud at Johnson Creek, and the destruction, associated with the straight-line wind, happened somewhere south of Watertown, within 15 miles of Johnson Creek.

Gregory Venarsky avatarGregory Venarsky
      Participant

Since it is coming from a supercell, I would guess that was a wall cloud that you spotted. Did you notice it rotating in any way shape or form? If so, that is most definitely a wall cloud. Excellent capture.

–Greg

Howard Brown avatarhygge
      Participant

https://www.photolib.noaa.gov/Collections/National-Severe-Storms-Laboratory/Hail/emodule/462/eitem/340

I second Greg. Stunning picture.

The book Extraordinary Weather by Richard Hamblyn (a CAS Member) 2012 in association with the UK Meteorological Office (it acknowledges Gavin Pretor-Pinney on page 143) has a picture of a Wall Cloud on page 21 from NOAA as above (but not the picture in the link). The text says
      ” A regular feature of supercell storm systems, wall clouds (sometimes known as ‘pedestal clouds’) are isolated lowerings (sic) attached to the bases of storm clouds. They develop when rain-cooled air is pulled towards the mesocyclone (the supercell’s violently rotating core), its moisture condensing at a lower level than the principal cloud itself…..”

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Howard Brown avatarhygge.
      Participant

Thank you all so much! This is really interesting, and requires me to re-examine my own definition of a “wall” cloud. Appreciate your help and enthusiasm…my dad, who spotted the cloud, e-mailed back and forth with our local weather service station, but they weren’t as excited as we were. It’s wonderful to get such engaged responses, and to learn a little more about this formation.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.