Cloud lithographs from 1877 book

Cloud lithographs from 1877 book

Forums The Cloud Forum Cloud lithographs from 1877 book

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Thellen Levy avatarThellen Levy
      Participant

IMG_2112
      Found three  of these in Moon’s bookshop in Whitehaven, each different. Happy to send the other two if there is any interest. Hard to see  but figure f is listed as cumulo stratus. Is that a designation others have come across?

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
      Participant

Thelien, I would like to see the others, please. Is there an author? (Renou wrote a Bulletin…., Paris, 1877)

As to your question, no I have not come across the type cumulo stratus. Nor is it in the ‘Bibliography of cloud nomenclature’, Appendix III of the older International Cloud Atlas, 1975.

But it does not defeat Google although ‘cirro cumulo stratus’ is more common – I suspect it is incorrect. I did not notice that Google threw up the latest ICA.

The term ‘stratiformis’ was introduced by C.C.H. (the Committee for the Study of Clouds and Hydrometeors) in 1949, hence Cirrocumulus stratiformis.

This link looks akin to one of yours
      https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b4/1f/f9/b41ff9584f373b74d6bcdb03c23d57d7.jpg

Thellen, it would be great to see the others. They look as if they might be the engravings published in the Philosophical Magazine to illustrated the Essay on the Modifications of Clouds, written by Luke Howard in 1803, when he first proposed the naming system for clouds that we still use today. “Cumulo-stratus” was a term he introduced (along with ones like Cumulus, Cirrus, Stratus, etc) but has now been replaced with Stratocumulus.

The prints look like a nice find.

Participant

IMG_2107

Participant

IMG_2108

Participant

IMG_2107IMG_2108

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.