Cloud Identification Help

Cloud Identification Help

Forums The Cloud Forum Cloud Identification Help

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Sam Fisher avatarSam Fisher
      Participant

Hi Guys, new here and starting out on my cloud journey.  I’m having trouble judging cloud height visually.  Low clouds height is very near the ground and nearby is no problem but judging where the low/medium cross over is.  Also on a clear day when looking at clouds far away on the horizon how can distance be judged.

anyways here some cloud photos from my garden from a few days ago.  I think they are stratocumulus  or could they be Altostratus?

4C6B357C-1EE9-4620-A5AB-61FAF6932944

9AD86EFE-43F3-414C-8811-6CBED1A1CD14

53FBC294-FDA6-4971-B401-2EDC737DDEEF

74047DF3-D638-4CFC-B00B-F12AA212D71B

9A09D2B8-79AF-41B1-84E7-847B1326A00F

Thank you

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

Welcome Sam,

The height of clouds is sometimes difficult to judge especially when they are close to the horizon where it all seems to come together. But on your first, second, third and fifth picture it is easy: low hanging stratocumulus. The forth picture is not easy to judge, but I put my cards on cirrus, being high level clouds. The clouds close to the horizon may look like altostratus but that is a matter of perspective in my opinion.

There are some rules of thumb. For instance cirrocumulus is all white having no shadows and the consisting grains have a width of less than a finger held at a arm’s length. Altocumulus is shaded an has the width of three fingers held at a arm’s length. And then there is a lot of practicing that makes the art. Consulting the ICA or checking the overwhelming amount of examples on the gallery will also help.

I wish you lots of fun cloud spotting.

Participant

Thank you Hans very helpful and much appreciated. Those photographs were all taken at the same time but in different directions.  I never thought of there being more than one type of cloud in the sky at the same time, but the sky is a big big place.  Weather fronts approaching and receding, geographical and topographical features will have their say no doubt.

I’m pleased I had the stratocumulus right – yay!  But never considered Cirrus in the sky at the same time.

here’s a few more I took on my walk today.  The first 3 I suspect are a form of cirrus being high, white, and feathery.  The 4th and 5th are of the same cloud but one in close up which I haven’t identified

1EEB88CC-E248-453E-9D52-A0088F1D6512

362BE1C5-7AB0-4729-87D0-46D314ACC04D

F28F15EB-B08D-42F0-BB82-A4FDB97493A0

DC628339-3C51-4F83-BC50-39987FF967BF

F3EFDAC8-02B5-44F3-87E1-5BA62CFA736A

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

You ‘re welcome Sam. Mostly there are different cloud types in the sky. The last five pictures show for instance all cirrus, but the last three show also altocumulus on the horizon of which the last one is more in close-up. I wish you lots of success with further investigations in the world of clouds.

Participant

Thank you again Hans.

I’m getting there

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Welcome to the CAS forum, Sam. Rest assured you’re not alone in feeling unsure about what to call what’s up there sometimes, especially when it’s a mixed bag of wonder. But turning your eyes to the skies on a regular basis, and comparing what you see with reliable sources, you’ll soon come to call the clouds by their proper names. It can feel like greeting dear friends when you see your favorites up there!

Participant

Thank you Keelin.

yes taking my first steps – will get get more wrong than right for now as I try to compare with the available photos – but that’s ok.  And I have kind people on here (with patience) such as you and Hans to call upon 😁👍

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.