Cloud I took a picture of, what is it?

Cloud I took a picture of, what is it?

Forums Cloud Identification Help Cloud I took a picture of, what is it?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Amy Hamill avatarAmy Hamill
      Participant

I saw these clouds outside in the afternoon, what are they?
      (This is my first post here! I’m happy to be in the society.mysteryclouds)

Inactive

I’ll take a shot but I’m not an expert. I think this is cirrocumulus undulatus but that doesn’t take into account the criss-cross pattern creating the fantastic zig-zags. There may be an additional bit of latin for that! Try browsing the ICA that Gavin put at the top of the general forums list.

Participant

Tony, thank you for the information! I didn’t think undulatus instantly due to it looking a little bit like altocumulus, but after some research and your side of the story, pretty sure you are right, good day! :)

Edit after a bit more research: I’ve probably pinpointed that it is altocumulus undulantus! Cirrocumulus undulantus still looks amazing, though!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Amy Hamill avatarVivid.
      • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Amy Hamill avatarVivid. Reason: To update on estimated results after researching
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

“duplicatus” might be appropriate. You have at least two different levels of cloud. The wider ridges are above the thinner grayer  cloud ridges .The wind currents that create all this undulates  in different directions make the zig zag so much fun. Each undulatus represents two different wind directions. So when there are undulations going in  a bunch of different directions  we are seeing eddy and whirlpools at every elevation…ok, maybe..

Participant

Thank you for the information, Michael! I’m not an absolute cloud expert, so I appreciate your side of the story very well and I will find more information on the subject, good day!

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

I just want to add something to former comments. Michael is right there is duplicatus involved, but that’s just the variety we see and not the genus. It is not cirrocumulus we see here, but it is more likely to be altocumulus undulatus. The different undulatus patterns betray the duplicatus variety Michael already mentioned. A really nice one to spot, Vivid.

Hans

Susan Knox avatarSusan Knox
      Participant

Today I posted four photos of what I am pretty sure are Altocumulus clouds.  What I found unusual about them was that the entire sky was covered by an altocumulus blanket.  It looked dramatic.  But then a little later when the blanket was breaking up I spotted this rogue cloud lower in the sky, so probably a stratus of some sort, but it had a decided twist to it which, unfortunately didn’t show up to well in the photo taken through the front window of the car.  I am wondering if there is a special name for it.  Then even later in the day some whispy clouds appeared directly under the sun and again I don’t know what they are, maybe some variation of cirrus.  Any help would be appreciated.  IMG_3016

IMG_3021

Participant

Hello Susan, here are my thoughts.

On your first image with the layer of altocumulus I see a hole. It is a fallstreak hole and the fallstreaks are already fallen lower. The bunch of fallstreaks is the rogue cloud (the white one with the decided twist) you mentioned.

The second image is hard to judge because of the backlight. Maybe some cirrus or wisps of altocumulus. Hard to tell.

I hope you like it.

Hans

Susan Knox avatarSusan Knox
      Participant

Thank you Hans.  I hadn’t made a connection between the hole and the rogue cloud.  But now, thanks to you, it all makes sense!  Susan

Participant

👍😊

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.