Black & White Thread XII

Black & White Thread XII

Forums The Cloud Forum Black & White Thread XII

Viewing 98 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
      Participant

Thanks Keelin for a wonderful finish to the Eleventh Thread in black and white cloud photographs. Here we go with the Twelfth thread and may it be as strange and wonderful!

Arizona B&W #180

april2417a2654

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

And here we go again! Thanks for the launch, Michael. Who knows where we will venture?

IMG_1036_BW_BeyondInto The Unknown

Participant

Arizona B&W#181

april1918a2185

Participant

Arizona B&W#182

feb1716a0864

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
      Participant

And thus Volume XII is started by Michael, as magnificent as Volume XI is ended by Keelin. I hope indeed Strange Wonders Await!

2018-10 Wolken_0086-3

Cloudy Washboard

Participant

Strange and stranger, all will be welcome! Can’t wait to see what comes out in the wash.

IMG_1344_BW_Underlying InfluenceUnderlying Influence

Participant

Nice and strange patterns in the Underlying Influence Keelin. Was it this Influence or the Washboard that made it come out …

2018-10 Wolken_0091-3

Ragged In The Wash

Participant

Arizona B&W#183

dec2317a9639a6

Participant

Nice soft greys Michael.

2018-09 Charigny_0075-4

With A Twist

Participant

While my mind enjoyed tumbling on gentle cycle with Michael’s soft greys and a few suds with a twist, courtesy of Hans, I kept wondering what fate awaited Ragged In The Wash, and then…

IMG_1338_BW_Found This In The DryerFound This In The Dryer

Participant

I really had to laugh about with whaty ou Found In The Dryer, Keelin. Maybe lost in the wrong topic? Your ingenious Mouse Witch With Wand in the Clouds-that-look-like-things awaits for a continuation in the next volume, but I don’t have a candidate yet. Can’t take long I hope.

2017-07-27 Lennies_0014 B&W uitsnede ac klein

After Some Unskilled Ironing

Participant

Very funny title to your follow-up, Hans! And the soft texture of your image makes it a pleasure to see. That said, I’ve had the same problem with ironing — only worse, I think.

IMG_0357_BW_ScorchedScorched

Participant

Arizona B&W#184

mar0718a1508

Participant

Arizona B&W#185

mar0118a1363

Participant

Ahhh, such a pity to scorch those tender tissues Keelin. Bad luck.

Arizona #184 and #185 by Michael fold and wrinkle to their hearts content.

2018-10 Charigny_0037-3

Scouts

Participant

Indeed, Hans, the images Michael brought us above have the textural quality one would certainly not wish to smooth out. And now I wonder where your streamlined Scouts will lead? Off in the distance, some vision is being sketched into being.

IMG_1339_BW_Rough DraftRough Draft

Participant

An imaginative Rough Draft Keelin. The emerging being in the distance has a magical feel. It maybe tries to figure out what he sees himself in the farther distance.

2018-09 Charigny_0293-2

A Singularity

Participant

Speaking of imagination…Oh my. It seems I mis-read your comment, Hans, and thought you wrote that the emerging being* in the distance has magical FEET. Then, when I saw the image in accompaniment, my eyebrows reached a new elevation of surprise.

* I would like to see the rest of this creature!

IMG_0263_BW_Elevation Of SurpriseElevation Of Surprise

Participant

A new Elevation Of Surprise! Yes for me too. Love the composition, the curling structure and composition.

As a matter of fact I didn’t look at A Singularity as a creature before, but once seen or pointed out….. Now I am curious for the rest of the creature too. Imagination seems to be boundless.

2018-05 Wolken_0337-3

Boundless

Don Hatfield avatarDon Hatfield
      Participant

I’m new to this thread and thought you might enjoy this one. While the photo is not, strictly speaking, a B&W image, it was taken with a camera converted to record only near infrared. Photo was taken using a custom white balance, which produces its sepia look. The picture itself reminds me of “the wings of storm battered dragons”.

DHatfield_42854

Participant

Welcome Don and thanks for this extraordinary post. Love the composition.

Is there any particular reason you make pictures of clouds in infrared? I hope for more sepia dragons (or anything else) from you. Just watch the pictures in this thread and former Volumes to see the variety of cloud impressions in black and white already produced. Take your time I should say. This is already Volume XII and we start a new one when there are 100 posts.

2016-07 Wolken_0012 B&W ns klein sch14 W&B rot

Dragonskin

Participant

A warm welcome to you, Don. Your sepia photo above is quite splendid. You’ve captured a compelling illusion of motion there — as if those battered dragon wings have yet to lose all their flight power. Echoing Hans, I hope to see more from you here— and on other forum topics as well.

Wonderfully detailed texture in your Dragonskin, Hans! Very convincing.

IMG_1470_All Fired UpAll Fired Up

Participant

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Regarding IR, I just wanted to see what could be done (I do some B&W also). Not sure where you’re from ,but I thought you could use a view of what Dallas TX looks like at the end of a stormy August afternoon. Reminds me of what Dr Seuss says about “when the storm starts stopping”.

DHatfield_42854

Participant

Hey Don, Looks like a classic Monsooner you captured there.

Arizona B&W#186

april0916a4260

Participant

Great monsooner Don. These are the ones Michael is indeed quite familiar with.  I am living on the other side of the pond in the moderate climates of the flatlands, or better the Netherlands.

And wow, Michael, your #186 is FANTASTIC. I have to write this in capitals. The strange round and less sharply drawn lenticular like structure – like a little box that opens – is just behind and in contrast with the sharply drawn cumulus. Together they make a wonderful and surreal composition. Ahhhh!

Here under no monsooner but it comes close. Spotted in France from a driving car.

2018-06 Charigny_0083-2

Participant

Michael, you have transported us! Your #186 is as Hans has declared: FANTASTIC. Surreal beyond my wildest dreams — and they are hard to surpass.

And monsoon (Don) or no monsoon (Hans), impressive shots of magnificent skies above your noggins miles apart. Especially exciting to see as no rain is in sight for us here, and we are so dearly in need of it.

That said, there was a bit of cloud activity last week that caught and held my eye for a few breath-taking moments. The image below proved more intriguing once cropped.

IMG_1488_BW_Bejeweled EyelidBejeweled Eyelid

Participant

Keelin..to continue the discussion on ” resolution” and improving your camera..and the B&W thread being a good place to continue the discussion..Let me say..that Photography is about Light.. working, manipulating, shaping, sculpting etc etc..with light…We,,have decided to photograph Clouds…Clouds are for the most part..not sharp, not well defined nor stationary to pose. Doing all the things we can do with light,applied to clouds makes me wonder if we are not masochists. We seem to try to work with odds really stacked against us…So things like ” resolution”  really help but can become secondary when other aspects begin to fail or improve and make it even more difficult or easier to ” work” the Light.

To improve our odds in acquiring a good or great shot of clouds we must take advantage of when and where Light is to our advantage..The so called ” magic” hour offers much help to our manipulating Light. Midday sun is the worst with its high contrast. The hour or so after sun up and the hour or so before sun down gives us subdued highlites that we can capture details in without loosing details in the many shadows. IMHO B&W photos of cloud should be taken during these “magic’ hours for most and best effect. Of course I’ve taken shots during high noon but details in either the shadows or highlites paid the price. Using the angle of the sun can make cloud look sharper than it is…can help in directing the eye , create textures,  create patterns, create depth, etc. So the best time of the day to shoot is early and late in the day..which also means when the light is less..meaning slower shutter speeds wider f stop or increased ASA rating with attached increase in ” noise” problem.  Always a trade off. There have been really outstanding improvements in ” low light” digital photography.  Lens and now camera bodies have anti shake built in and CMOS are just better performers in low lite situations. ASA 400 use to be when noise became an issue. Today  ASA 24000 is when you have start looking hard for noise. But..a simple monopod or tripod will bring the shakes to a halt as well.

Its working the Light..seeing the Light and using it to your advantage so that resolution isn’t even considered when looking at the final product, that is what I’m gettin at.  Here in Arizona an overcast day is a great day to shoot clouds.as long as there are clouds lower than the overcast.  Our midday sun is really just too much but putting an overcast on it..makes the Light workable. True, overcast days in Phoenix are rare and don’t last a whole day  anyway.

Another thing is the CMOS,,a lot of them but not all,,are sensitive, they record, they ” see”..further into the infrared than our eyes/brain do. B&W can show this ” advantage ”  well  especially when using Adobe Lightroom. ” Clarity function brings the unseen to visibility.

I guess Im saying even a inexpensive camera  takes a great shot if the operator knows how to work the light,,knows how to anticipate the light and be patient for the Light  to be right. So, don’t be afraid to work up the chain of cameras. As your ability and fun and creativeness grows with working Light ,,the need for better and  better technology grows..but it all starts with working the Light.

On a side note..used cameras mite be something to look into..Cameras don’t hold their value very well,,except when retail outlets try to make high profits…Ebay etc etc mite yield you a really good camera for cheap..used..just make sure you get instruction manual AND photo processing software( on a DVD usually) and computor cords for downloading pics. With point and shoot cameras..be careful with  how they are powered..” special” batteries or regular AA or AAA or etc batteries..If buying a used  camera make sure battery charger comes with it unless it takes regular AA etc etc.

anyway..

Arizona B&W187

mar0118a1415

Participant

Thank you, Michael, for shining a light on LIGHT. To be sure, I’ll be holding onto your thoughtful and generous reply for guidance as I wade through camera options. This may take some time, but meanwhile, I will try to apply your keen insights on timing and patience.

IMG_1454_BW_With An Eye on Future PossibilitiesWith An Eye On Future Possibilities

Participant

Future Possibilities has a nice contrast between sharp and vague, Keelin. And lots of success with wading through camera options. Remember….

2017-11-24 Boog ea_0040 recht uitsnede B&W ac klein

It´s All About Light

Participant

En zo komt het licht binnen, Hans! Dank je!

IMG_1394_Lightness Of BeingLightness Of Being

Participant

Haha, wat een prachtige wollige cirrus Keelin! Beautiful and just what the title says.

Participant

Arizona B&W#188

mar2516a3919

Participant

From woolly (Lightness of Being) to splashy (#188) …

2017-07-19 Cum_0018 B&W asr h30c0 klein

Polished Beneath

Participant

Yet further along, one never knows…

IMG_1551_What Goes On Below The SurfaceWhat Goes On Below The Surface

Participant

What Goes On Below The surface comes off from the screen like a giant wave, Keelin.

Below the surface the …

2018-07 Wolken_0429-2

Seaweed Tangles

Participant

The Seaweed Tangles beautifully, Hans, and rising above for a bit of air — or is it for the chance to view clouds?, we might see a breach, a breath, and…

IMG_9962_A Whale Of A Splash or A SplashA Whale Of A Splash

Participant

Arizona B&W#189

april0917a2436

Participant

Arizona B&W#190

april1016a4349

Participant

Arizona B&W#191

april0917a2366

Participant

You’ve captured wild, dramatic energies in your Arizona B&W#189 and #190, Michael, and no less beauty with #191.

IMG_0724_BW_When The Breeze Takes A BreathWhen The Breeze Takes A Breath

Participant

Thank you Keelin!  Yes, time for a little calm.

Arizona B&W#192

april2718a2344

Participant

ArizonaB&W#193

mar2418a1787

Participant

Calm is exactly what’s needed, Michael, and Arizona B&W#192 delivers a welcomed dose. Yet I love the way #193 sweeps in with its gentle disturbance.

Below, all is still calm, and bringers of light are there to be seen.

IMG_1618_BW_Faeries In The ForestFaeries In The Forest

Participant

Arizona B&W#194

feb0217a0491Vir

Participant

Arizona B&W#195

nov2416a8553

Participant

Some great work from you two! I have to catch up again after Whale Of A Splash by Keelin (very funny title also) and #193 by Miachel (wonderful composition).

2018-12 Wolken_0042-2

Curved Ceiling

Participant

Arizona B&W#196

april1717a2593

Participant

B&W never fails to deliver surprises here. Love the above, Michael and Hans!

IMG_1924_BW_The Sublte Shades Of MysteryThe Subtle Shades Of Mystery

Participant

Arizona B&W#197

Claudette Colbert

mar2816a2986

Participant

Keelin, The Subtle Shades Of Mystery leads the eyes perfectly to the to the left bottom of the picture where the mystery of soft textures and crepesculars hold the eyes in wonder. Love it!

Michael, I had to look up who Claudette Colbert was. Great B&W! Your Arizona B&W #197 with this name attached to it intrigue me. What kind of a puzzle this is?

2018-12 Wolken_0044-2

Outwards

Participant

Danke je, Hans! And speaking of mysteries…

Michael, you teased us cleverly with Arizona B&W#197. My brow also furrowed for a moment, but once paredolia glasses were donned, Cloudette Colbert stepped out of the shadows with a starlet look upwards as if to say: Is my bouffant in place?

And in your image above, Hans, the look of softness and sense of motion reminds me of pulling on a favorite warm sweater before stepping out into the autumn chill. Just in time to go Outwards and…

IMG_1822_Give The Duster A Good ShakeGive The Duster A Good Shake

Participant

Arizona B&W#198

jan2116a2510

Participant

Nice shake …… and another bites the dust!

2018-08 Charigny_0040-2

Participant

Arizona B&W#199

mar2618a1870

Participant

Arizona B&W#200

jan0916a2419

Participant

Arizona B&W#201

april0118a2035

Participant

Michael – The sci-fi buff in me says : Arizona B&W # 199 looks like the Starship Enterprise. Perhaps Cpt Kirk really did visit Earth in our century.

Above and beyond that, the arrangement of the (lenticulars and cumulus ?) makes a wonderful; photo. The cropping of the photo really emphasizes them, as there are no distracting elements.

Thanks for your continued inspiration. You make me want to move away from my BBS.

Participant

Michael, Arizona B&W #201 will long remain a favorite. And Hans, your duster comment made me laugh aloud. Then there’s astonishment at the remarkably crisp detail you captured. Meanwhile, I was still in cleaning mode and…

IMG_1884_Found This Under The BedFound This Under The Bed

Participant

Don and Keelin, Thanks for your kind words. I like boldly going ,with clouds, where few others have gone. Like Keelin, I find the strangest things.

Arizona B&W#202

dec1516a9071b

Participant

Michael, your Arizona B&W#202 looks like what it feels like when curiosity is rewarded with such a cloud capture. It might be that lovers of the wonders above can’t help but cave in to such cravings.

IMG_1352_BW_The Irresistible Urge To ExploreThe Irresistible Urge To Explore

Participant

Curiosity was certainly rewarding this year. Continuous inspiration, like Don said. And we keep exploring. I look forward for what great surprises you all will produce in Black & White (or in color).

To end this year ….

2017-07-19 Cum_0076 B&W ns77-160 klein

Some Soundless Fireworks

Participant

Arizona B&W#203

mar2217a1807

Participant

Great dynamics in your images above, Hans and Michael. I, too, wonder what this new year will bring. No doubt there will be winds that blow in ways that amaze with cloud formations that keep us all looking up.

IMG_2205_BW_Mysterious ForcesMysterious Forces

Participant

Arizona B&W#204

nov1217a8176a1

Participant

Well, looking up really pays off!  Love the fine structures in Mysterious Forces Keelin. B&W  #203 and #204 by Michael are both wonderful compositions. Forgive me my pareidolia, but I see bright white teeth  (#203) and a close up of an elephant (#204), while #204 also gives this abstract feeling of an infinite space.

2018-12 Wolken_0043-2

Centrifugal

Howard Brown avatarHoward Brown
        Participant

Hans, I see your elephant in Michael’s B&W # 204 – remarkable.

Still that login problem, having just logged in – but again F5 did the trick.

Participant

Arizona B&W#205

april0917a2363

Participant

2018-08 Charigny_0093-2

Wired Cirrus

Participant

No doubt about the elephant — a fantastic image, Michael! It’s a bit mesmerizing, and I was happy to see it did not take on a pinkish hue after staring at it for quite some time. #205 also sets the mind to seeing things without the aid of alcohol or advanced pareidolia. Another fine shot.

Having set my mind to wander, I mis-read the title of Hans’s following image as Wired Circus (honestly, no imbibing was involved!). I like the wild vertical dance of clouds you captured there, Hans, while Centrifugal gives the feeling of a look out the back window at warp speed. I wonder where we’re headed next…

IMG_2199_BW_Above and Beyond?Above and Beyond?

Participant

Definitely above us

Arizona B&W#206

feb1717a0893

Participant

2015-07-05 Asperatus_0083 B&W ns rechts klein

Underneath

Participant

IMG_2344_BW_Couldn't Be CloserCouldn’t Be Closer (without getting wet)

Participant

That looks like familiar Dutch weather like we are having here at this very moment, Keelin. Nice warm and dry inside and doing some photoshopping?

2018-08 Charigny_0059-2

A Somewhat Wintery Feel

Participant

Arizona B&W#207

april3016a4929

Participant

Arizona B&W#208

april3016a5008

Participant

Arizona B&W #207 and #208 have both a very special texture, Michael. I love #207 in particular.

2018-03-20 ev Wolken_0017 B&W ns81-143 klein

No Blood Involved Nor Wolves

Participant

Yes Hans, an early morning canopy of perlucidus with cumulus underneath created a good show! A lively apparition you have caught there!

Arizona B&W#209

april2718a2345

Participant

Arizona B&W #209 is a fluffy one Michael.

Next one is

2018-04-21 Charigny_0252-2

Tickling

Participant

Arizona B&W#210

may0118a2352

Participant

2018-08 Charigny_0056-2

Playful Winds

Participant

Arizona B&W#211

may0717a2935

Participant

Fantastic photos, Hans and Michael! Impossible to say one is favored over another as each image displays its own beauty and mood. Today, the clouds took on a formation that surprised me in its vastness. The same texture continued to the right of the sun filling most of the late morning sky.

IMG_2463_BW_EmbroideredEmbroidered

Participant

Thanks Keelin and a nice capture with this sky covering formation, Keelin. When the sky coverage was that vast it must have been impressive!

2017-11-24 Boog ea_0001 B&W ns101-216 klein

Shadowing

Participant

Nice Textures There You Two!

Arizona B&W#212

feb2617a1230

Participant

A Different Perspective

Arizona B&W#213feb2617a1229

Participant

Arizona B&W#214

dec2916a9464

Participant

A great capture in Shadowing, Hans, mystery to spare in that one.  And thanks, Michael, for your comment on textures above. Your Altocumulus example from two perspectives is a very interesting study in the almost physical feeling of rising /falling the images evoke. And your most recent B&W#124 is a stunner, the physical reaction was a dropped jaw on seeing that one!

A different sense of motion is what moved me to take the photo below. The clouds looked intent on heading somewhere, so full of purpose in this moment.

IMG_1993_BW_Directionally UnchallengedDirectionally Unchallenged

Participant

You describe the movement in Directionally Unchallenged just it just as it shows Keelin. Love its texture and composition.

And Arizona B&W #214 seems to show two sitting ghostly figures on a bench Michael, but I know you prefer the abstract approach and also that way you got me with this mystic virga formation.

The last weeks the sky over here is dominated by too much featureless variations of all kinds of stratus, but my archive is of help. I once spotted something beary clawing its way through the sky.

2018-04 Wolken_0053 B&W an sch5 klein

Something Beary

Participant

Lots of time I go for that instant reaction. Perhaps that very first impact, very first reaction by the viewer , as being the truth for the viewer and the shot itself. Sometimes I have difficulty with a shot after assessing it for too long. Trying to hold on to the very first moment isn’t easy. Sometimes “weird”, the surreal, makes it easier. I very recently stumbled across an internet article on the Lundehund of Norway.  Having 6 toes is one feature that makes this dog unique. Hans, your picture above is now so associated and my original  take of it has dimensions to its “truth” I had not even conceived of…yes, directionally unchallenged!

Arizona B&W#215

sept2715b9569

Participant

Mchael, you surprised me with your cryptic and even mystic comment and also with your Arizona B&W #215, which seems to be a picture of the Hound Of The Baskervilles in reply on Something Beary. I googled for the Lundehund and found out it is an amazing breed, but why in heaven meant for hunting these beautiful puffins?

2017-04-26 Iridescence_0042-4

A Hill Where Puffins Might Live

Participant

I wouldn’t want to be bit by a Puffin! Those beaks!

Arizona B&W#216may0717a2947

Participant

Are you sure the Something Beary was clawing through the sky, Hans, and not a Lundehund paddling in the sea? To the eye (the good one that still works) of this paredoliac (if this isn’t a real word, I think it should be), I could not help but see an otter giving in to insatiable curiosity. It is a marvelous bit of mystery and a breathtaking, dreamlike image. I like it very much indeed.

And thank you, Michael, for sparking curiosity about the Lundehund. Pleased to hear they’re being saved from extinction, but hope Puffin is no longer on the menu. The swirls in your Arizona B&W#215 look to be forming a fiery lemniscate. Lovely!

IMG_2600_BW_Below The Puffins' PerchBelow The Puffins’ Perch

Participant

“Lemniscate”  I need help with  that since my dictionary is of no avail

Nice  crag work there with the cliffs and clouds Keelin!

may0717a2958

Participant

Thanks for kind words, Michael. According to Wikipedia: “Lemniscate, in algebraic geometry, is the term for any of several figure-eight or ∞-shaped curves.” It isn’t a word I come across often (being from the other end of the campus), but it came to mind with your Arizona B&W#215.

Below is the upper portion of a photo (posted under Cloudscapes, December 13, 2018) that also appears to hold some possibility of forming an infinity symbol. I jokingly suggested calling it Cirrus intortus lemniscatus. While the drifting clouds never quite completed the left-side loop, it was fun to watch and worth the wait regardless.

IMG_1904_BW_Lemniscate

That said and settled, I like the soft winged look of you image above. Beautiful!

Participant

Thank You Keelin!

Arizona B&W# 218

may1017a3183

Participant

2017-08-22 Parhelic_0050 B&W asr c2 klein

Dark Ceiling

Participant

Arizona B&W# 219feb1619a2363

Participant

Arizona B&W#220

feb1819a2510

Participant

Will wonders never cease? Apparently not with this B&W thread. Love the fantastic textures in your photos above, Michael. And that hovering smoothness of Dark Ceiling is completely captivating, Hans. As for the image below, what caught my attention was the way it bounced.

IMG_2789_The Way It Bounced

Participant

Great texture in Arizona B-W #219 Michael. And the composition as well.

What caught my attention is what Keelin bounced back! Love that one and I can’t help but I see a front view of a horse’s head. It also looks like something thrown to the viewer leaving a trace and – indeed – bouncing just in front of us. Amazing.

2018-09 Charigny_0079-2

Untitled

Viewing 98 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.