Airglow Fan – APOD image

Airglow Fan – APOD image

Forums The Cloud Forum Airglow Fan – APOD image

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Here is, as released today (3 February) on the NASA APOD page, is a lovely photo of something called, “Airglow Fan”.  This is not to be confused with the Aurora Borealis.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190203.html

– a small and concise explanation accompanies the image.

Laurence

Patricia L Keelin avatarPatricia L Keelin
      Participant

Laurence, thank you for the link to this beautiful image. It sparks the memory of a special night a few years ago when I was on a boat trip to Alaska. I’d been so hoping to see Aurora Borealis one particular evening that I could barely sleep. While I never saw the sky dance, it seemed it was not entirely without color. At the time, I was quite perplexed and wondered why I could distinguish subtle cloud shapes against the very subtle, dark greenish glow (I don’t recall seeing the moon at all that night). I took the photo below just to capture the memory of that night. The contrast is pushed, but it’s quite like I remember it, the quiet, the glow, the wonder of it all. Do you think this might be airglow?

Airglow

Laurence Green avatarLaurence Green
      Participant

Greetings, Keelin

I am glad you found my posting of interest to you.

I think you are correct in that your photo showcases an Airglow.  Whatever, and I stand to be corrected, I think which you saw must have been lovely.

Best wishes.

Laurence

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.