Reply To: ASPERITAS The CAS Cloud Vol 3

Forums The Cloud Forum ASPERITAS The CAS Cloud Vol 3 Reply To: ASPERITAS The CAS Cloud Vol 3

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
Participant

Dave, The thing about  IR photography that always confuses me , is that you are photographing heat (brite) and lack of heat (dark). As you point out , normal dark can be brite if its “hot” as in the stop sign. Trees and grass are living things so they put off heat and of course are warmed by sunlight. Clouds exist because of heat. The more sunlit areas of cloud are going to be warmer  so should be brite..which is a expected observation with visible wavelengths..So , with some objects the recorded image can be reverse of visible light and other objects the recorded image can be close to visible light image. Thats just for starters. Recording reflected heat or recording heat made by the object..in sunlite or in shadow,,I have  enough trouble just dealing with visible light. I don’t know how you do it.

Terrain  effects cloud formations. Hills and valleys can stir the atmosphere. Whats really  weird is Asperitas  over Antarctica or over Greenland. The one area I haven’t seen a pic of Asperitas over is…an Ocean..I m not saying Asperitas doesn’t happen over  ocean,,Im just saying I haven’t seen a pic of it over ocean.  Anyway,  Im enjoying your IR photography. Can I ask what format  is your camera and lens that you use?

Arizona Asperitas #789

apr0820b8943Asp