Reply To: ASPERITAS The CAS Cloud Vol 3

Forums The Cloud Forum ASPERITAS The CAS Cloud Vol 3 Reply To: ASPERITAS The CAS Cloud Vol 3

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
Participant

Dave..I can only suggest that there exists Aperitas Laconosus. I’ve witnessed such a development on many an occasion, usually at the end of an Asperitas event. Again. its a timing issue.  What actually is the physical cause, the physics responsible for the development we call asperitas? My rough understanding is ..a layer of stratus is acted upon by winds above the stratus. The speed of the winds and the direction in relationship to the speed and direction of the stratus I don’t recall exactly. Undulatus is caused by winds 90 degrees (?) opposed to the direction of the stratus. Since there is asperitas undulatus there is suggested ,wind speed has much to do with asperitas. Another thought is volume..how much space a blast of wind fills.

The lacunosus phenomena is attributed  to different temperature layers of atmosphere descending and rising into  each other. Cold air condenses the moisture out of the atmosphere and warm air absorbs the moisture back into atmosphere. So the cloud pattern you see is the cold air descending and the holes are the warm air rising..The problem is the holes  in asperitas have visible clouds  but they are in column shape and very ragged, due to wind. What im suggesting , and it is only my opinion, is that the lacunosus we see near the end of an asperitas event may be in optics only, similar to an lacunosus we see at cirrus or altcum heights,but the physics could be different Again, Aperitas does mean mixed up,  indicating a multi-directional stirring of the atmosphere. So the thought that asperitas lacunosus  signals a equilibrium approaching, a calming down of the asperitus atmosphere seems possible. The one thing bears mentioning is that the lacunosus  I’ve photographed near the end of an asperitas event is usually almost ,f not directly, overhead.  Seeing the wavy nature of asperitas is difficult when overhead and easier when seen at an angle or farther away.

So thats my 2 cents based on what little I  understand about a complicated physical event that happens to clouds. I will say that I’ve photographed Asperitas Radius. Posted those pics a long while ago. Asperitas Translucidus might be applied  to  #773, #778 and #780 above.Point is, there can be many types of Asperitas and like a lot of clouds there are phases of development and decomposure that take the phenomena thru various varieties. There is much study on inter-actions of various layers of differing temperatured liquids and gases. Asperitas seems to me a challenge to those in that field of study.

anyway here is a  “asperitas lacunosus”  shot that was close by.

Arizona Asperitas# 781

oct0816b7685ASP