Reply To: Optical Phenomena Volume V

Forums The Cloud Forum Optical Phenomena Volume V Reply To: Optical Phenomena Volume V

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
Participant

Ariel I read about your seven years of sky on your website and I must say it makes a really deep impression on me. You still managed to collect a lot of wonderful cloud stories and silver linings as you like to name them. I admire you having been able to collect them over so many years and to share them on your website. Keep enjoying them!

I will try to ID the halos on the last 7 images on the page you linked to (skyj). I suppose there are some you already know, but it is better to be complete I think.

1. a 22 degrees halo.
  2. a 22 degrees halo, a circumscribed halo, a sundog at the place where the parheic circle crosses the circumscribed halo, and the parhelic circle. I think this one is a real beauty.
  3. a circumscribed halo, a sundog at the place where the parheic circle crosses the circumscribed halo, and the parhelic circle. On this one the 22 degrees halo is not visible and I suppose we see the circumscribed halo and not the 22 degrees halo because of its egg-like shape.
  4. a 22 degrees halo with the upper tangent arc on top of it together with two sundogs with small parts of the parhelic circle although one can say these white tails are part of the sundogs themselves.
  5. a 22 degrees halo with a sundog and the upper tangent arc (UTA). it is faint but just above the UTA I think there is a suncave parry arc. But without a doubt ther is at twice the distance of the UTA a circumzenithal arc.
  6. as 5, but with both sundogs visible.
  7. same as 6, but here is more to discover. The suncave Parry arc is visible as a little roof above the UTA and the CZA touches a faint supralateral arc (I guess).

Where halos are a bit faint they often can be revealed more explicit by different kind of enhancements like contrast, saturation or even b-r subtraction. The last method can give very surprising results. I once got the link with this method from Alec Jones and maybe you like to try it:

B-R processing

I hope you like it.

Best wishes, Hans