Reply To: Black & White Cloud Photos Vol XV

Forums The Cloud Forum Black & White Cloud Photos Vol XV Reply To: Black & White Cloud Photos Vol XV

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
Participant

Thanks Keelin! Adobe Lightroom has an amazing tool called  “Clarity” which seems like a perfect tool made for Cloud photography. Clouds are notoriously low in contrast or just the opposite, very high in contrast  depending on the time of day. While processing the shots, a “normal” amount of contrast can be adjusted to effect the pictures over all range from black to white. But “Clarity” works the contrast between a dark pixel and its neighbor ,say, a white pixel..Thats a general description but the tool definitely turns mush  into a clearer ,sharper presentation. Matter of fact I shoot a lot as “flat”, low contrast, especially seeing how “Clarity”  helps with clouds like Asperitas . The other side of Clarity is that it can contribute to “noise” ,the digital equivalent to analogue “grain”. So I usually shot at 200 asa or lower to control the “noise’ increase when perhaps a lot of clarity is required. Its fascinating the difference of “clarity” may be needed in how much pre programed contrast, saturation etc is set for. Experiment experiment experiment is all I can say. The rite combination for the kind of clouds  and time of day can be found, giving anybody the ability to turn mush into somethin worthy to be framed and hung on the wall.

Arizona B&W#171nov0517a8026