Reply To: Fall streak, mares tails, feather clouds? I'm confused. Taken in Hampshire.

Forums The Cloud Forum Fall streak, mares tails, feather clouds? I'm confused. Taken in Hampshire. Reply To: Fall streak, mares tails, feather clouds? I'm confused. Taken in Hampshire.

Hans Stocker avatarHans Stocker
Participant

Hello Jan, you made a fantastic picture of these fallstreak holes.

Michael: I am amazed by the picture of this long fallstreak hole made by a plane. together with your precise observations you put also a nice and interesting question forward: Are there any fallstreak holes known in art before the existence of airplanes?

I am sure fallstreak holes must have been observed in years in the plane-less area of our history, for indeed a plane is just one of the possible sources of a fallstreak hole. The process can also be triggered without a plane in a natural way. Who will come up with an answer or example?

George: thanks for confidence in me about an explanation and although there will be questions I can’t answer, this is one I positively can answer. As you already suggest two CZA’s are simply physical impossible. With a given position of the sun and a given position of the observer there is only one place in the sky the CZA might appear when the conditions are right. The second more faint arc in between the sun and the CZA is ‘just’ the upper part of the 22 degrees halo (maybe or maybe not combined with the upper tangent arc).

I hope I don’t disappoint anyone with this analysis, but the picture itself is as amazing as it is and I love it very much. I can only hope to observe these three phenomena together once myself. Wow! And nice to remember this fantastic picture by John Deed from 2007 Hygge.