Reply To: Fall streak, mares tails, feather clouds? I'm confused. Taken in Hampshire.

Forums The Cloud Forum Fall streak, mares tails, feather clouds? I'm confused. Taken in Hampshire. Reply To: Fall streak, mares tails, feather clouds? I'm confused. Taken in Hampshire.

Michael Lerch avatarMichael Lerch
Participant

My apologies hygge, I wasn’t trying to asuage Jan’s confusion. imho, everything fallstreak in the photo is fallstreak. Fallstreak ,like Virga,falls, the difference being source. But an ice crystal is an ice crystal and they team up and get heavy and fall.  I was making comment on my pic only, which spurred me to go back and check some data. I found some interesting info if any care to further eliminate any confusion.

Two pics below; The first is of the beginning of the cavum , photographed at 10:09a.m.. Obviously mature in that the fall is mature well developed ,and already the winds are having their way with it. The shot Above, looking West was taken at 10:50 a.m.. The 2nd shot below, looking East, was taken at 10:55a.m…So, it took apprx 40 minutes to propagate across the Valley.( est the plane took 3 minutes at most  to traverse the same sky.).I wonder how close to scientific observation does that rate align?  about 50miles to 60miles in 40 minutes..somewhere around 90miles an hour triggering rate?? I have no idea if that  means anything or is close to fact.

Another thing of interest that has me slightly confused , occurring while discussing cavum and their source, of course airliners are not the only source to trigger the chain reaction of cold water turning to crystal and falling out of the sky. So heres the observation we mite take,,during our perusal of paintings and art from caveman to Rothko..how may recordings of cavum is there? There are lenticularus in medieval works of art ( thx to GPP for pointing that out in the CG) We have Couch and Tate etc for more modern takes of the sky. And the recent Surrealists to Post Modern to whatever ,have some kind of representation of the sky. Fallstreaks anywhere? In other Arts, there are many references to Angels and their feathers( the beginning of Beethoven’s Leonora..?).but in the visual arts, It may interesting to see when man first started recording the sight of a cavum as a cavum.

nov1317b8339

nov1317b8358